U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 AM

27,165 posts, read 29,650,120 times

Advertisements

About 80% of the stuff I do is in a 3 mile radius of my apartment (besides work). Another 10% is in the 5 mike range. Sadly I see maps of the dismantled Key Route streetcar, and it covered virtually ever destination in my 5 mile radius. And there were several stops in my 1/2 mile radius.

Transit could work conveniently if we wanted it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:44 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
To each their own. I used to have a 20 minute commute that turned into an hour and fifteen minutes during rush hour. A lot of stop and go on I64, then a merge onto I264. If I tired to get off of I64 there was a lot of stop and go just trying to get off of the highway. Then, stop and go on Virginia Beach Boulevard. And this is a good day when there weren't any accidents, and no construction.

But if you're up for that sort of thing be my guest. And I know that's amateur hour compared to Washington DC and Richmond, where commutes are 2 hours or more. Day in and day out. It gets old after a while. 15 minutes to the grocery store. 25 minutes to the mall. Or what is close, which for me is downtown, you have to pay parking.
Funny, I use to do a similar commute going pretty much the opposite way you go with the same amount of commute time. Rush hour traffic in Hampton Roads is horrible and driving is your only option.

When my wife and I were there visiting recently, she would think we needed to get going earlier and I was basically like it is better to sleep in and avoid the traffic to still get someplace at a reasonable time without pulling out all my hair dealing with the traffic there.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But I wasn't talking about Tyson's Corner. 99% of people in Tyson's Corner are going to be driving because they don't even have Metro (yet). I was talking about DC and how public transit is not competitive with driving outside of rush hour commutes to the CBD.

Oakland is even more car-centric than DC (and much more than Brooklyn). So I couldn't imagine trying to do most things sans car.
Well it sounds like we are talking about two different things.

The actual city of DC could have adequate transit, but at the moment it doesn't, therefore using your car more makes sense. That can be corrected with a better transit system.

Most cities that you have to rely heavily on a car is because the city is void of an adequate transit system, not because people don't use it.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Transit could work conveniently if we wanted it to.
A type writer could also work conveniently if we wanted it to. But it turns out that computers are more efficient, so more people use those.

You will always have those people who prefer to write letters out and send them by carrier pigeon rather than send an email or text. Given the choice, however, most people will just send an email. Transit is generally the same way. It's the fastest way in most cases to get from one place to another, so more people prefer it.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

The actual city of DC could have adequate transit, but at the moment it doesn't, therefore using your car more makes sense. That can be corrected with a better transit system.

Most cities that you have to rely heavily on a car is because the city is void of an adequate transit system, not because people don't use it.
That's saying a whole lot for a city that has perhaps the second best transportation system in the country. After DC (and Chicago really), it only gets worse from there. If DC is inadequate, then what does that say about Oakland, Atlanta, Denver, Seattle, etc?

I would put Brooklyn on the "inadequate" list too since a car makes sense for the vast majority of my non-commute trips.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
That's saying a whole lot for a city that has perhaps the second best transportation system in the country. After DC (and Chicago really), it only gets worse from there. If DC is inadequate, then what does that say about Oakland, Atlanta, Denver, Seattle, etc?

I would put Brooklyn on the "inadequate" list too since a car makes sense for the vast majority of my non-commute trips.
Seattle has an amazing bus system, but an inadequate rail system.

Brooklyn has a great rail system and bus system, so no it wouldn't be considered inadequate just because you prefer driving over transit. In Brooklyn you have options with how to commute and you choose using your car.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thank you for proving my point upthread. "Business casual" for women does not generally consist of hiking boots, "hat hair", etc.
My mom manages with boots and layers for going to work (uses transit). She tends to dress heavily for work. She doesn't like cold much, but she doesn't find it such a big deal.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Brooklyn has a great rail system and bus system, so no it wouldn't be considered inadequate just because you prefer driving over transit. In Brooklyn you have options with how to commute and you choose using your car.
It's not a matter of preference. It's an objective fact that I can reach 99% of my destinations faster in my car (including the time it takes to park). It was the same way in DC. I could reach 99% of my destinations faster when using a car.

The Whole Foods in Brooklyn, for example, has free parking. Why am I going to toil away for over a half hour on transit when I could drive there in less than 10 minutes? That just doesn't make any sense. That's like saying people just prefer to use email.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:18 AM

6,372 posts, read 5,994,477 times
Quote:

DC really isn't that great. You have less than 10 lines. Granted it is better than here but a metro of 5 million needs way more than just 6 lines.

At the same time there are still areas in the outer boroughs the New York system doesn't go into. So there are no perfect systems.

This is the real problem with public transportation. Where it goes and where it is built out to are two completely different things.

Communities that want public transportation, ironically, do not have anything that people living in other neighborhoods want to do. Public transportation is great at connecting neighborhoods, but bad at connecting destinations. So a line will go down a major thoroughfare. Supposed transit oriented development. Except that nothing is ever built along the route.

Now the same areas that never developed when the bus line was designated to go through there get their hopes up. Maybe a new rail line will encourage development. Probably not, because public transportation is used to get from point a to point b. The idea that you can create points C through Z along the way, in hopes that point b will become point z, is a misnomer.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
It's not a matter of preference. It's an objective fact that I can reach 99% of my destinations faster in my car (including the time it takes to park). It was the same way in DC. I could reach 99% of my destinations faster when using a car.

The Whole Foods in Brooklyn, for example, has free parking. Why am I going to toil away for over a half hour on transit when I could drive there in less than 10 minutes? That just doesn't make any sense. That's like saying people just prefer to use email.
For you personally driving works better, that doesn't make Brooklyn'Brooklyn's transit system inadequate. I have no idea what your destinations are that make driving more convenient for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or