U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I don't think our bus system is "amazing". It's ok. It provides pretty good coverage with some weak spots and holes. Don't get me wrong, I know it could be a lot worse, but "amazing" seems a bit much.

The rail is inadequate, but it's also very new, and it's currently expanding. I wish it would expand more- and faster- because the light rail line here has a ton of potential... just a very, very, narrow area of coverage. That said, it is excellent for getting from the metro area to the airport!
35% of Seattle commutes by bus compared to 32% that commute by car, that is pretty amazing. Could it be a better system? Sure, but it is really good compared to most cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 10:33 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't live in Brooklyn, but I can think of a number of trips where transit is barely slower than driving. I've hit heavy traffic off hours toward downtown Brooklyn. Either way, that's a rather high standard: a car may be more efficient for non-commute trips, but not worth the extra money. Plenty of people might think: since I don't need a car for work and many local trips, I can just deal with transit even for the trips where it's slower.
Brooklyn is generally an easy place to get around in a car. You can skip from Clinton Hill to Park Slope to Sunset Park easily anytime after 8pm and on weekends. And if you can afford a car, which about half of Brooklyn households apparently can, then why not drive?

BTW, what are the trips in Brooklyn that you find to be barely slower than driving?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, for an innocent comment about being prepared for winter driving by keeping boots, gloves, hat, etc in the car, it sure stirred up a storm! I will point out that another poster, who I believe is also from the midwest, agreed with me.
It sounded odd, maybe not boots, but wouldn't you have at least gloves and hat with you at all times in the winter? I walk / take transit more often than drive, so I take having cold clothing for granted.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:34 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
35% of Seattle commutes by bus compared to 32% that commute by car, that is pretty amazing. Could it be a better system? Sure, but it is really good compared to most cities.
That stat is not accurate.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:35 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,169,700 times
Quote:
I think the over an hour is if he misses the first train. Also why does the bus terminal not at a train station, that lowers the convenience a lot.
He starts at 9:20. His last connection leaves at 10:16. Do the math. Unless that last leg is less than 5 minutes his trip takes over an hour.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's an easy call to make if you work in Manhattan. Most people don't work in a CBD that's anything like Midtown. And most people live in metro areas where jobs are much more dispersed than they are in the Tri-State.
Downtowns are usually good concentration of jobs, as well as business centers that could have been designed more transit friendly. It is impossible to create a system that fits everyone, just like it is impossible to have a road lead from home to work for everyone without anyone having to use several different roads to get where they are going.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Brooklyn is generally an easy place to get around in a car. You can skip from Clinton Hill to Park Slope to Sunset Park easily anytime after 8pm and on weekends. And if you can afford a car, which about half of Brooklyn households apparently can, then why not drive?

BTW, what are the trips in Brooklyn that you find to be barely slower than driving?
Half of households can, that still leaves a lot of adults without a car. My point was that the convenience advantage of a car in Brooklyn is small enough many might not bother have a car. This trip for example:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=4...sz=14&t=m&z=14

21 minutes with traffic, 25 minutes with subway. I found it quite a bit slower than driving a few times, maybe I got unlucky.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
That stat is not accurate.
More Downtown Commuters Choosing Transit, Walking, Biking

My stats came from here, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
More Downtown Commuters Choosing Transit, Walking, Biking

My stats came from here, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Those are downtown Seattle commuters not Seattle commuters in general.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Half of households can, that still leaves a lot of adults without a car. My point was that the convenience advantage of a car in Brooklyn is small enough many might not bother have a car. This trip for example:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=4...sz=14&t=m&z=14

21 minutes with traffic, 25 minutes with subway. I found it quite a bit slower than driving a few times, maybe I got unlucky.
Also, could you imagine how horrible it would be if everyone in Brooklyn owned a car, even worse if everyone in Brooklyn commuted by car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or