U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 12:05 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,630,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
To quote you, you stated:

It was not unreasonable (due to your grammar error, obsession with Portland, and the fact that Portland was identified in two charts in the article) to understand you to be claiming that this article was somehow relevant to Portland. Chart 1 re Portland didn't differentiate between biking, walking, or transit for commuting and thus offered nothing of value to the thread or your hypothesis. Chart 2 re Portland showed Portland as being "first" in "% of trips by bike", whatever that is supposed to mean. The trips weren't necessarily related to commuting and they weren't exclusive of other modes of transportation used in the same trip given the article's reference to "biking mode share". Chart 2 wasn't even relevant to the article it accompanied. The article didn't make your case for anything much less anything related to the topic of this thread.

Your communitarian "we" is showing through again. No one claimed the population had a fear of biking in the rain. That's different from whether people have the common sense to avoid it or to recognize that you aren't speaking for all the other commuters or the parents taking kids to and from school.

Your so-called "facts" in your article didn't have anything to do with "why people don't use mass transit" and didn't bear out any hypothesis you've promulgated. I've already previously pointed out the uselessness of the article you linked to for much of anything.

At best to the extent your article and post has any bearing in this thread it would be "some people don't take mass transit because they [choose: 'can' or 'have no choice but to'] bike or walk to work"
Yes, please tell me more about why you don't use transit, clearly we do not wish to venture off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Who said you have to be outside of an city to have fun driving. I love riding up/down Lake Shore Drive and the Dan Ryan. Roads are not always fully jammed with traffic, that only happens during rush.

Driving also shields you from rough weather conditions like extreme cold as well as rain. About the only thing the bus has over the Car in bad weather is the fact that there might not be clear on the street parking for a day or two after a snow storm or your car might get trapped in the garage by snow.

Otherwise having control of the heat is so wonderful. Buses and Trains can be either nippy or if they don't open the doors and you are wearing heavy winter clothes roasting. Never a comfortable temperature. Waiting outside with sub zero wind chills is not fun and people have a bad habit of not promptly clearing the snow from in front of their houses which makes the walking difficult(or forcing you to walk in the streets sometimes).
I was just giving an example, city driving can be fun too when there is no traffic, I have been on Lake Shore Dr before and really enjoyed driving that stretch of road.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:31 PM

2,827 posts, read 3,364,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, please tell me more about why you don't use transit, clearly we do not wish to venture off topic.
I'll accept your failure to address the issues presented as a tacit admission that the article had nothing to do with this thread. There was one bright note, however - the link to the Onion article
Report: 98 Percent of U.S. Commuters favor Public Transportation for Others
which says a few things about public transit.

I see you took my previous advice and started your own thread where you and your fellow urbanist head nodders can all agree on "why people use mass transit" and about off-topic items like why you bicycle to work. Then perhaps you won't feel compelled to engage in senseless argument with people that explain why people don't ride mass transit. The topic really isn't one for debate.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
I'll accept your failure to address the issues presented as a tacit admission that the article had nothing to do with this thread. There was one bright note, however - the link to the Onion article
Report: 98 Percent of U.S. Commuters favor Public Transportation for Others
which says a few things about public transit.

I see you took my previous advice and started your own thread where you and your fellow urbanist head nodders can all agree on "why people use mass transit" and about off-topic items like why you bicycle to work. Then perhaps you won't feel compelled to engage in senseless argument with people that explain why people don't ride mass transit. The topic really isn't one for debate.
Failure to address what issues? You keep stating this is a thread about not wanting to ride transit.

I hope you do know the Onion is satire? It is always hard to tell with people on city data.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:47 PM

4,103 posts, read 3,122,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I also think it should be noted that:

1. The number of automobile deaths has decreased by 21% since 2005
2. The number of vehicle miles traveled has remained about the same, meaning that the number of deaths per vehicle miles has decreased as well
3. The number of deaths per 100,000 people has decreased as well.

Automobiles may not be the safest form of travel, but reporting numbers without any context is disingenuous. The truth is that while somewhat dangerous, traveling individually by car has improved over time and continues to do so into the future.
Agreed!

Furthermore personal occupancy vehicles offer seat belts and airbags, trains and buses do not. Let's say that not wearing a seat belt is stupidity and reclassify all auto deaths and incidents of paralysis caused by not wearing the seat belt as death due to stupidity rather than attributable to vehicles. What would be left as death by vehicle and would it still be higher than the public transit incidents?

I maintain my belief that a person properly belted into a vehicle is safer than someone not belted in on a train or bus. I was once forced into a jersey barrier by another driver at 65mph. Since I was wearing my seat belt I did not suffer even a scratch, nor was I dazed and confused. The car was totaled but that was to be expected. Now if I was a passenger on a train that hit a concrete wall, I would have been sent to the hospital with injuries, GUARANTEED.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:53 PM

34,518 posts, read 41,669,564 times
Most people use public transit to avoid this type of scenario twice a day.
http://womanonpause.files.wordpress....vy-traffic.jpg

Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,169,049 times
Quote:
Who said you have to be outside of an city to have fun driving. I love riding up/down Lake Shore Drive and the Dan Ryan. Roads are not always fully jammed with traffic, that only happens during rush.
I usually enjoy driving the BQE. The sights of the big buildings are a bit of a thrillplus the umm, interesting manuevers required can be fun in a perverse way and keep you awake after a long drive. The BQE's traffic can be clear or randomly jammed outside of rushed. About four or so miles are currently jammed.

Quote:
Driving also shields you from rough weather conditions like extreme cold as well as rain. About the only thing the bus has over the Car in bad weather is the fact that there might not be clear on the street parking for a day or two after a snow storm or your car might get trapped in the garage by snow.
I actually dislike the fact that with driving, you're often inside the whole time, though you can open the window.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Most people use public transit to avoid this type of scenario twice a day.
http://womanonpause.files.wordpress....vy-traffic.jpg
That is why I don't drive to work, trying to get through the tunnel and a bridge every day each way would drive me crazy with the amount of traffic there is on my commute.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,872,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

I actually dislike the fact that with driving, you're often inside the whole time, though you can open the window.
My experience with driving is at least you CAN open the window. You can't open the window on busses or Trains.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,169,049 times
Quote:
My experience with driving is at least you CAN open the window. You can't open the window on busses or Trains.
Old buses you can. I used to open the window on my bus in the summer to get rid of that cold, sterile A/C. Can't do that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or