Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 06:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I am too leery to wear ear buds on the CTA and esp. not when walking home. I need my senses. I have listened to music on Metra but that is rather a different experience less riff raft and less danger on the cars(but perhaps more danger at the stations in the off hours as the stations in the city outside of downtown lack personal. )
I don't wear headphones on the street at night while walking home. But on the train, it is fine at low volume, so I'll be aware. I don't differentiate between modes. I keep my phone in my bag and have the headphones looping through bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 02:05 PM

31,924 posts, read 34,421,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I actually dislike the fact that with driving, you're often inside the whole time, though you can open the window.
Or drive a convertible.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Take a look at France, a country [perhaps a bit inaccurately] stereotyped as a far more pro-urban and anti-suburban culture than the US. Can't really complain about subsidization of highways vs transit, either. Outside of the Paris metro, transit commute rate is... 7%. Walking to work is slightly more common. Paris is completely different, with about half of workers using transit.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/urban...l#post33703618

However (see the linked thread), walking for non-work trips in France is more common in the US, probably because most communities are denser than typical American suburbs, and local stores don't have as convenient parking.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

However (see the linked thread), walking for non-work trips in France is more common in the US, probably because most communities are denser than typical American suburbs, and local stores don't have as convenient parking.
I wish we did a better job of measuring non work trips. Decreasing car use there is a lot easier than the work commute.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:51 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,965,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I wish we did a better job of measuring non work trips. Decreasing car use there is a lot easier than the work commute.
I would say not. The work commute, you just need to bring yourself and maybe an laptop or something(most of the time) and there are more likely to be many people heading the same direction as you.

Non-work trips, you are more likely to need the trunk. You likely have children(and Child fares can add up). You may have an infant(which means lots of baby stuff to haul as well as the baby) or an child that can't walk yet(stroller plus baby stuff). You may not be heading in the same direction each time and so on.

For work and school Public transit maybe an good option, but for other stuff less so.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,010,603 times
Quote:
I would say not. The work commute, you just need to bring yourself and maybe an laptop or something(most of the time) and there are more likely to be many people heading the same direction as you.

Non-work trips, you are more likely to need the trunk. You likely have children(and Child fares can add up). You may have an infant(which means lots of baby stuff to haul as well as the baby) or an child that can't walk yet(stroller plus baby stuff). You may not be heading in the same direction each time and so on.

For work and school Public transit maybe an good option, but for other stuff less so.
Depends, not everyone has children and babies.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Depends, not everyone has children and babies.
True, but a pretty large portion of people do, as well as people who want to go shopping(you can visit a much wider variety of stores by car than by bus not to mention haul your stuff back easier too.).

Old 04-08-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
True, but a pretty large portion of people do, as well as people who want to go shopping(you can visit a much wider variety of stores by car than by bus not to mention haul your stuff back easier too.).
In Chicago it is less than 30%, I imagine the surrounding suburbs to be similar.
Demographics of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
In Chicago it is less than 30%, I imagine the surrounding suburbs to be similar.
Demographics of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Still a large number of people.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Still a large number of people.
Yes it is, but there is still a 2/3 that wouldn't have children with them, plus not everyone with kids is with their children at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning