Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 06:57 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,010,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Depends where really.

I'd never do it in Hudson County, would with caution in southern Bergen County, and would with absolute confidence in my safety in northern Bergen County. It really just boils down to density - biking is safer and more pleasant where things are less dense, and drivers are more respectful towards bikers where they are more of a normal occurrence and not just That Guy.
That isn't always the case, I would feel much safer biking in Brooklyn than I would anywhere in Hudson county. The awareness to bikes and pedestrians from drivers goes a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The location I posted was Essex County, and the traffic (while bad enough) wasn't the issue; there's a reason the map was set to terrain mode.
With biking, terrain isn't really as big of an issue as you would think, but then again I did my biking on the west coast where the terrain is just part of biking.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That isn't always the case, I would feel much safer biking in Brooklyn than I would anywhere in Hudson county. The awareness to bikes and pedestrians from drivers goes a long way.
I agree about the awareness piece. I am way more comfortable biking at home because there are so many cyclists and tons more awareness from the drivers. Where I work, potentially "easier" with wider roads and flatter paths is terrible because the number of cyclists are few and far between. And all of them are on the sidewalk. I have see a few people trying to mix with traffic, and cars honking angrily, speeding past them without leaving space, and all of the stereotypical aggressive behaviors.

No thanks, that just looks scary. It is hard enough being a pedestrian. Even though there are crosswalks and sidewalks, you need to be on high alert to cross the street, and the lights are timed poorly (you can walk an entire block between the signal timing before it will change for you!).

Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,111,650 times
Quote:
With biking, terrain isn't really as big of an issue as you would think
I don't just think; I know that hill quite well. It's a big issue. On a road bike it's difficult; on a commuter-type bike (heavier, in street clothes and with a backpack), it's awful.

Quote:
but then again I did my biking on the west coast where the terrain is just part of biking.
Depends on where. Silicon Valley, for instance, has a bay on one side and hills on the other. The most populated areas on the peninsula are actually quite flat.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I don't just think; I know that hill quite well. It's a big issue. On a road bike it's difficult; on a commuter-type bike (heavier, in street clothes and with a backpack), it's awful.

Depends on where. Silicon Valley, for instance, has a bay on one side and hills on the other. The most populated areas on the peninsula are actually quite flat.
I wouldn't bike up that hill without bike lanes, not in this state with New Jersey drivers, but I have seen guys bike up North Interstate in Portland on fix gear bikes before. I wouldn't advise a hill like this for someone who doesn't have the leg strength, but if you have the gearing on a bike to handle something like this, it would be fine. You would definitely have a sense of accomplishment biking up a hill like that, though it would be more fun to ride down that hill than push up it.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:26 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,147,663 times
Quote:
So people shouldn't walk anywhere in fear of muggings? What if you get mugged as you are getting into your car?
No, my point was that bad things can happen whether you are using your own vehicle or mass transit.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
No, my point was that bad things can happen whether you are using your own vehicle or mass transit.
True, bad things can happen regardless if you get out of bed or not.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:03 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,808,945 times
Good mass transit is available in only a few metros, and even there not as comprehensive. Buses are horrible in most locations. The Cardinal of Chicago, upon being told that the new Pope used to ride the bus in Brazil, "Maybe the buses are reliable there." Rail is more attractive, but there are ways to improve buses: entertainment options, signal priority, special lanes where necessary. If the powers that be could be convinced to do so.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:29 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,540,710 times
Basically some have to ;otherwise most can make better use of the time involved in using it.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:56 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,321,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Depends where really.

I'd never do it in Hudson County, would with caution in southern Bergen County, and would with absolute confidence in my safety in northern Bergen County. It really just boils down to density - biking is safer and more pleasant where things are less dense, and drivers are more respectful towards bikers where they are more of a normal occurrence and not just That Guy.

I did a lot of biking as a kid, all west of Route 17 where the density is low(er). Drivers were no problem, only the terrain (elevation rises to the north). But 17 was too scary for me to try to cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning