Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 04:02 PM

31,924 posts, read 34,428,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How many can you check?
Three. You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 04:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,804,393 times
Given that I live in suburbia with a car, mass transit means...

- extra time it takes to get there
- time it takes for me to get to the stop/station in the first place
- having to wait out in the elements
- having to adhere to a schedule

I love freedom.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:25 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,152,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I love rail, but you can't build rail everywhere and any sane public transit system is going to be bus heavy.
Well of course. But I feel that the buses should be much faster (BRT, anyone?), and should funnel traffic to and from a well-funded and expansive railway system with a moderate to high capacity, so that rail transit is never far off and has easy access.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM

41,744 posts, read 74,732,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The flip side is, home delivery of most goods is practical.
I can't think of too many items that are cheaper to have delivered than to go pick them up yourself.

My favorite example - 40 lb. bags of cat litter - cost me nothing to pick up when I stop on my way home from work. To have them delivered? At least $10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How many can you check?
Four and a half.

Is the University of Dayton a prestigious liberal arts school?

But I'd love to have a Vespa scooter ...

Old 03-11-2014, 04:37 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,206,810 times
It isn't necessary to build rail everywhere to provide good and comprehensive service! Generally, stops about every half-mile or so mean a quarter-mile walk from front door to transit station is sufficient. Buses have their role, but it isn't necessary to be "bus heavy" or even all that desirable.

I never saw a car as "freedom," even when I lived in the suburbs. I saw it as a ball and chain--I had to pay to own it and maintain it, feed it and care for it, sit for extra hours at work with the car parked in the parking lot instead of using my time as I saw fit. Like the song says, "freedom" isn't free, and the "freedom" provided by a car is a lot like the "freedom" provided by heroin addiction--it's a harmful, dangerous habit that encourages dependency, saps our strength, and costs lives.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:52 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,206,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I can't think of too many items that are cheaper to have delivered than to go pick them up yourself.

My favorite example - 40 lb. bags of cat litter - cost me nothing to pick up when I stop on my way home from work. To have them delivered? At least $10.
Picking up one or two items from the store on the way home from work is no less possible for a pedestrian or cyclist. Even 40 lb. bags of cat litter, if you have a rolling cart or a cargo bike, and unless you are trying for "crazy cat lady" status, that's not a trip you're going to make very often. Also, the one-item purchase is the dumb way to order groceries online, especially if the online delivery service charges a flat fee. Ordering one item at a time and getting charged $10 per order would be pretty dumb--so, the key is, don't do that.

Also, using your car isn't "free," it still costs money to operate and burns gas. You still have to insure and register and maintain the car. You're just optimizing its use by combining trips, which is a smart strategy to use if you want to drive less. And if ordering online, the better strategy is to order multiple items to mitigate the expense of that $10-15 shipping fee. The point of online ordering vs. a car-based shopping trip is to provide an alternative for someone who doesn't have a car, not to prove that it costs less in all circumstances. In everything, there are choices--we choose what we do (or don't want to do) to suit our circumstances, which aren't all the same.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:54 PM

31,924 posts, read 34,428,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
It isn't necessary to build rail everywhere to provide good and comprehensive service! Generally, stops about every half-mile or so mean a quarter-mile walk from front door to transit station is sufficient. Buses have their role, but it isn't necessary to be "bus heavy" or even all that desirable.
That sounds well and good if you have a spoke and hub system with lines feeding into a CBD. But what if the vast bulk of a region's employment is scattered all over the place (with a weak CBD)? Are you going to build individual rail lines to all of these suburban locations? And why would people ride them if they can drive there and park for free?

Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I love rail, but you can't build rail everywhere and any sane public transit system is going to be bus heavy.
NYC is rail heavy, London is as well, though both have buses for lower volume routes as well. Boston and dc have higher rail ridership than bus ridership but that's partly because transit ridersip is heavily downtown oriented, which is covered by rail.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

NPR (check)
Obama voter (2008 Primary) (check)
Whole Foods/TJ shopper (check)
NYT/New Yorker/Economist subscription (check)
Patagonia/Helly Hansen/Canada Goose (check)
Degree from prestigious liberal arts school (automatic)
Microbrews (check)
Indie films (check)
Fair trade coffee (check)
Farmer's market (check)
Vespa scooter (check)
Backpacking in Europe (check)

That's the short list.

I agree. And they have publications like Atlantic Cities and Streetsblog that function as one gigantic echo chamber.
I'll go ahead and check off mine for fun:

NPR (check) - NPR newbie
Obama voter (2008 Primary) (check)
Whole Foods/TJ shopper (check)
Degree from prestigious liberal arts school (automatic) - went to Berkeley, so I am sure that counts
Fair trade coffee (check)
Farmer's market (check)

But I am black so that's like minus 1000 points.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That sounds well and good if you have a spoke and hub system with lines feeding into a CBD. But what if the vast bulk of a region's employment is scattered all over the place (with a weak CBD)? Are you going to build individual rail lines to all of these suburban locations? And why would people ride them if they can drive there and park for free?
Low ridership but if you have jobs in some secondary districts you might be able to get decent ridership
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning