Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 07:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Your question is disingenuous. People have been killed or seriously injured by muggers while most car accidents do not result in deaths or life threatening injuries.
So people shouldn't walk anywhere in fear of muggings? What if you get mugged as you are getting into your car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 08:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Your question is disingenuous. People have been killed or seriously injured by muggers while most car accidents do not result in deaths or life threatening injuries.
I think your stats are a little off. Accidents at rates of travel over 35mph have a really high injury and death rate.

Muggers usually leave after they get a cell phone. Escalating to serious violence is rarer.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:48 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think your stats are a little off. Accidents at rates of travel over 35mph have a really high injury and death rate.

Muggers usually leave after they get a cell phone. Escalating to serious violence is rarer.
err bit more complicated. There have been cases of people kill by robbers intentionally and unintentionally. About a year ago, a woman was killed by a person who shoved her down the stairs of the EL, fleeing after stealing an phone. I have personally seen purses snatched and bad things do happen to people late at night:

Man Robbed, Raped Near CTA Station « CBS Chicago

Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
err bit more complicated. There have been cases of people kill by robbers intentionally and unintentionally. About a year ago, a woman was killed by a person who shoved her down the stairs of the EL, fleeing after stealing an phone. I have personally seen purses snatched and bad things do happen to people late at night:

The vast majority of muggings don't end that way. In fact the only muggings that make the news are the ones like that. I easily know a dozen people who have been mugged. Probably more. Those are just the ones where it came up in conversation. The most serious one, the person had bruises. The rest of the people lost property.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:

And yet bad things can happen getting out of your car in a parking lot, so what's your point?
Cops: Woman assaulted, robbed early Sunday in South Side parking lot in Bronzeville - Chicago Tribune

Old 04-05-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And yet bad things can happen getting out of your car in a parking lot, so what's your point?
Cops: Woman assaulted, robbed early Sunday in South Side parking lot in Bronzeville - Chicago Tribune
The point is if you drive odds are you are going to be able to park near to both your destination and to your starting location. If you use transit, odds are you are going to be walking further at night(risk) and waiting for transfers between lines(more risk) as well as possible walking to get to your transfer(risk again). A person using transit is much more an target for crime.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
The point is if you drive odds are you are going to be able to park near to both your destination and to your starting location. If you use transit, odds are you are going to be walking further at night(risk) and waiting for transfers between lines(more risk) as well as possible walking to get to your transfer(risk again). A person using transit is much more an target for crime.
That is just a completely false statement. Crime doesn't happen only when people are walking. You could be attacked feet from your door, in your drive way, in a parking lot, at a stop light, etc.

But if it is in your head that people risk being attacked because they are taking transit, there is nothing I will be able to say that will change that idea you have in your head. But this statement you have used to rationalize transit being bad is just false.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
That is just a completely false statement. Crime doesn't happen only when people are walking. You could be attacked feet from your door, in your drive way, in a parking lot, at a stop light, etc.
True, but I would say that most of the people I have know become a victim of crime were doing things like walking, riding the bus, or riding a bike. I would put the odds of running into an robber while walking at night higher for people who don't drive.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
True, but I would say that most of the people I have know become a victim of crime were doing things like walking, riding the bus, or riding a bike. I would put the odds of running into an robber while walking at night higher for people who don't drive.
That is called personal experiences, that isn't a reflection of statistics. Here in Jersey a man was shot and killed sitting in his car. Bad things happen, being inside of a car doesn't make you exempt from the possibility of bad things happening.

Personally I have spent a good portion of my adult life walking, biking, and taking transit and I have been robbed zero times, and I have been a victim of a crime zero times. Odds are you will be fine no matter if you choose to walk, bike, take transit, or drive. Heck, you probably have a better chance of getting into a car accident than you do getting mugged.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
That is called personal experiences, that isn't a reflection of statistics. Here in Jersey a man was shot and killed sitting in his car. Bad things happen, being inside of a car doesn't make you exempt from the possibility of bad things happening.

Personally I have spent a good portion of my adult life walking, biking, and taking transit and I have been robbed zero times, and I have been a victim of a crime zero times. Odds are you will be fine no matter if you choose to walk, bike, take transit, or drive. Heck, you probably have a better chance of getting into a car accident than you do getting mugged.
While I am fortunate to never have been a victim of crime while riding, I have had a tape recorder thrown at me on an bus by a crazy woman. Seen two purses snatched while I was a kid. Saw a crazy woman try to push someone the tracks. The crazy woman who threw the tape recorder at me actually slugged another woman in the rail station. I have seen one poor crazy young man throw a punch at an the ticket agents both with a person inside(luckily he ignored me and went straight into the train, I just waited while the police hauled him out...I wasn't going to get into that train with him on it.)

I know people who have had attempted pickpocketing. Not to mention a few un-pleasant things like having a guy who is high on something and sweating profusely sit next to you. I would say that being in an car would have avoided much of that. Oh and the crazy people I mentioned are the minority who turned violent. However last time I rode I did run into one who was just agitated. Most crazy people are not violent, but yeah that is one of many dangers.

Last edited by chirack; 04-06-2014 at 12:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning