Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,272,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes it is, but there is still a 2/3 that wouldn't have children with them, plus not everyone with kids is with their children at all times.
A kid is not required to need the trunk. Non-work trips could include the need to carry things like:

- hardware purchases
- sporting equipment
- groceries
- special event equipment

Now these may not be common events, but when this kind of stuff is needed, I'd rather have the car available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,808,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
They don't prohibit it, we just don't force people to use it. Adjusting lights to harm the flow of cars seems to cross the line to us. We might tolerate it if the light is adjusted for other reason like not enough time for people/Children to cross but otherwise not.
Would they do that so you can cruise through three greens and hit the next red so they can get revenue from red-light runners? No, politicians are too honest to try that.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,965,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Would they do that so you can cruise through three greens and hit the next red so they can get revenue from red-light runners? No, politicians are too honest to try that.
Nah you would just cut back the yellow light to do that. Red just makes everyone stop.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,010,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
A kid is not required to need the trunk. Non-work trips could include the need to carry things like:

- hardware purchases
- sporting equipment
- groceries
- special event equipment

Now these may not be common events, but when this kind of stuff is needed, I'd rather have the car available.
Sure, that makes sense, but what about all the times you don't need a car?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,417,680 times
Quote:
Drive one anyway. The bigger the better. After all, the urban bicyclists need to be able to see you to avoid accidents. For the safety of those earbud wearing cyclists you should have a V-8 or larger engine so they can hear you. If you have a weenie car in a congested place like San Francisco the car might be too easy for angst-ridden urbanists to tip in urbanist locales like San Francisco:

Smart Car tipping takes a mysterious turn in San Francisco

Old 04-08-2014, 10:04 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,965,277 times
Quote:
The car is usually faster outside of rush, about the only advantage public transit might have is if you plan to drink.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I would say not. The work commute, you just need to bring yourself and maybe an laptop or something(most of the time) and there are more likely to be many people heading the same direction as you.

Non-work trips, you are more likely to need the trunk. You likely have children(and Child fares can add up). You may have an infant(which means lots of baby stuff to haul as well as the baby) or an child that can't walk yet(stroller plus baby stuff). You may not be heading in the same direction each time and so on.

For work and school Public transit maybe an good option, but for other stuff less so.
Most people are childless or have children who are grown. Most non-work trips are a short distance from home, typically under 3 miles and ideally suited for active transportation (like walking or biking).

Most non-work stuff also tends to be concentrated or can be concentrated to a Main Street or shopping center.

So yes, those non work trips open up extra options, due to the typically short distances.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:33 AM

41,744 posts, read 74,721,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I wish we did a better job of measuring non work trips. Decreasing car use there is a lot easier than the work commute.
Don't forget to measure combined trips - grocery shopping, banking and other errands on the way to/from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Gigantic bags of cat litter and cases of cat food.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
You're going to have to be a little more clear. I can't think of too many times that I wouldn't need a car to get around. Public transit is awful and it's way too humid to walk/bike around for more than just recreation. Personally, I'd rather spend the extra money on gas if it means that I won't have to spend the day drenched in sweat. Considering that only being outside for half an hour gets you really sweaty here, I'd choose the car every time.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Most people are childless or have children who are grown. Most non-work trips are a short distance from home, typically under 3 miles and ideally suited for active transportation (like walking or biking).

Most non-work stuff also tends to be concentrated or can be concentrated to a Main Street or shopping center.

So yes, those non work trips open up extra options, due to the typically short distances.
I assume that 3 miles is an average for the U.S.? Because I can't think of too many occasions when I drove under 3 miles for any non-work related activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning