U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,555 posts, read 2,253,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
there is no Highway that goes directly between NYC and Philly regardless - another sort of odd thing when you think about it

https://www.google.com/#q=I95+missing+link
This has always annoyed me to no end. The two cities are a stone's throw from each other, and there's no direct way of going without encountering traffic lights. This I-95/276 interchange can't come soon enough. It really should've been built the minute the Central Jersey Freeway got cancelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,756,168 times
Couple conceptual examples come readily to mind. The 'death merge' style interchange. Cleveland's Inner beltway (I-90/ I71) - now under massive reconstruction with bridges crossing the Cuyahoga Valley has a few of these, and they fortunately are being eliminated.

One in particular was sometimes known as 'touch and go' merge. It had I-77 traffic merging on while cars where exiting the Inner-beltway in a short 300 feet. Compounding this was the exiting traffic is decelerating very rapidly as it comes to stop light intersection in another 500 feet and as one can imagine at peak volumes these distances diminished rapidly.

There is also 'Deadman's Curve' further up, where the I-90 Innerbelt combines with Ohio Route 2. (Tried to get the google snap shot of it like other poster, but for some reason CD doesn't allow me to link it / paste it here?) The civil engineers who designed this fiasco didn't provide a soft enough curve as it makes the 90 degree merge in a rather short throw. So even though the speed signs, speed strips, and warning lights are there (35 mph), invariably some truck will crash. It also is due to be corrected (softened lengthened curve) in later phase of current work.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,662,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Golden Glades interchange in Miami is particularly horrific if you ask me. It was arguably made worse when the flyover lanes were turned into "pay for play" lanes. Getting onto and off of I-95 in a variety of directions includes many turns, merges and even stop lights from certain directions.
Golden Glades Interchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.windsorstar.com/life/dive...g?size=640x420
Dave Barry once wrote that if a future civilization studying our ruins comes across the Golden Glades interchange, they won't be able to figure out what its purpose was . . . but they'll be certain that it wasn't meant to be used for any transportation-related purpose.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 AM

27,171 posts, read 29,708,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Dave Barry once wrote that if a future civilization studying our ruins comes across the Golden Glades interchange, they won't be able to figure out what its purpose was . . . but they'll be certain that it wasn't meant to be used for any transportation-related purpose.
Your comment reminded me of this short film by Kaj Pindal - What on Earth:
http://www.nfb.ca/film/what_on_earth

*What the aliens find when the come to the planet

Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 AM

7,239 posts, read 12,695,033 times
I don't have a photo, and it's been more than 20 years so maybe this was fixed, but when I lived in Berkeley my boyfriend and I were coming home on a freeway and took an exit into Berkeley (can't remember which one, maybe Ashby?) ... the problem was, he was slowing down trying to take a right onto the Berkeley street while others were speeding up FROM the same Berkeley street trying to get ON the freeway ... he didn't make it out and instead had to get straight back on the freeway. We took the next exit instead.

In other words, they didn't have overpasses to funnel people in the right direction -- it was one "street" with some people slowing down to exit and others speeding up to get on -- a disaster waiting to happen!

(Jade408, you live in the area ... do you know what I am talking about or does this not exist any more? This would have been late '80s / early '90s as he graduated in 1991.)

Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 PM

32,405 posts, read 59,910,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Couple conceptual examples come readily to mind. The 'death merge' style interchange. Cleveland's Inner beltway (I-90/ I71) - now under massive reconstruction with bridges crossing the Cuyahoga Valley has a few of these, and they fortunately are being eliminated.
I always feel like a fancy race car driver when I'm on the Inner Belt.

Quote:
There is also 'Deadman's Curve' further up, where the I-90 Innerbelt combines with Ohio Route 2.
Cleveland's Dead Man's Curve not going to stop tipping trucks anytime soon (23-photo gallery) | cleveland.com

http://imgick.cleveland.com/home/cle...b49003559b.jpg

The first link is to a news story about Dead Man's Curve; the second is a photo of a truck accident where you can see the curve as I-90 and Ohio 2 westbound split along the lakefront.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:53 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,708,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I don't have a photo, and it's been more than 20 years so maybe this was fixed, but when I lived in Berkeley my boyfriend and I were coming home on a freeway and took an exit into Berkeley (can't remember which one, maybe Ashby?) ... the problem was, he was slowing down trying to take a right onto the Berkeley street while others were speeding up FROM the same Berkeley street trying to get ON the freeway ... he didn't make it out and instead had to get straight back on the freeway. We took the next exit instead.

In other words, they didn't have overpasses to funnel people in the right direction -- it was one "street" with some people slowing down to exit and others speeding up to get on -- a disaster waiting to happen!

(Jade408, you live in the area ... do you know what I am talking about or does this not exist any more? This would have been late '80s / early '90s as he graduated in 1991.)
That sounds like all of the Berkeley exits. Hehehe! But mostly Ashby, University is a little better. Gilman, the one I posted is also terrible. Leaving or going.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:37 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,047,677 times
I-376 Eastbound in Pittsburgh: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4285.../data=!3m1!1e3

Traffic entering 376 from Beechwood Boulevard travels down an inclined ramp. At the end of the ramp is a STOP sign. The lane to the immediate left is the exit lane for Squirrel Hill. Most traffic on this ramp want to travel on 376 so they must stop, check traffic in the exit lane, and then merge over to the through lane to go through a tunnel all within a 1/3 mile! Traffic is only two lanes. This interchange is one of the main reasons there is traffic here at every rush hour and after every big even in Pittsburgh or if someone sneezes. Of course, when there is bumper to bumper traffic this merge is easier but when traffic is moving full speed it is very dangerous.

Typical view of this interchange i.e lots of traffic: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4287...5kqDg_Z3YA!2e0

Its sibling on the inbound side of the tunnel is not much better, also with only two lanes for each direction: https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.42...10525&t=h&z=17

In the morning rush, traffic will speed up after that interchange so the main culprit of traffic backup is the interchange and not the tunnel so much.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:22 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,568,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The thread on highways sparked an idea for this thread.

What do you feel are the worst highway interchanges, exits, or simply designs in the United States? Please post pictures or use google maps to show them.

Here are a few from back home in Charleston, WV.

Oakwood Road/US 119 exit (I-64)

You can see the tight turns basically in every direction. This is probably the busiest interchange in WV during rush hour.
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=38.35...k&deg=180&z=18
I zoomed out a bit and noticed that, South Charleston is North of Charleston? What am I missing?

Old 03-13-2014, 03:49 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,889,751 times
Although we don't have the out of control traffic of very big cities, 40/240 is pretty bad here. Long story made short, the planned direct through town route for I-40 was blocked in court and will forever remain a stub, so all through traffic, including lots of 18 wheelers must take the 240 bypass, whose one lane ramps were not designed for that much capacity. Now, nearly 40 years later, they're still trying to improve the interchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning