Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
There's also the topic of groups SELF SEGREGATING. Quite common even today, IE Willingboro (township) NJ. A middle class mostly family type place.

Willingboro Township, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Levitt community outside of Philly, that was originally probably entirely white that has grown to be probably 80% African American. I've lost count of the number of people I know that moved there from my former company in Philly area. Well over 100 friends of mine over maybe a decade. NOBODY was interested in moving to MY neighborhood. Just Willingboro LOL.
The Levittowns in Long Island and Pennsylvania had overt racial tensions but not Willingboro.

Levitt himself had a "whites only" policy but this was illegal in NJ and Levitt was sued for it almost as soon as he started selling houses in the state. There was already legal precedent in NJ against Levitt and the State Supreme Court upheld the anti-discrimination rulings of the lower courts. African-Americans have lived in Willingboro since the late 50s.

Willingboro isn't alone in terms of self-segregating. East Mt. Airy in Philly is another popular place for middle-class african-americans (but it's by no means exclusive, plenty of whites live there as well). Lawnside, NJ is another majority black enclave in the suburbs with an amazing history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^Good for Jersey! It's a shame Pennsylvania wasn't the same.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:27 AM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
The Levittowns in Long Island and Pennsylvania had overt racial tensions but not Willingboro.

Levitt himself had a "whites only" policy but this was illegal in NJ and Levitt was sued for it almost as soon as he started selling houses in the state. There was already legal precedent in NJ against Levitt and the State Supreme Court upheld the anti-discrimination rulings of the lower courts. African-Americans have lived in Willingboro since the late 50s.

Willingboro isn't alone in terms of self-segregating. East Mt. Airy in Philly is another popular place for middle-class african-americans (but it's by no means exclusive, plenty of whites live there as well). Lawnside, NJ is another majority black enclave in the suburbs with an amazing history.
Shaker Heights OH was also known for not having covenants in regards to housing as well. There are others like the Parkside neighborhood in Buffalo that also didn't have such policies and have had integrated neighborhoods for decades.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
It's interesting how the psychological boundaries of so many cities have changed in the last 20 years or so. I had my playlist on shuffle on the way home last night and heard Bobby Womack's "Across 110th Street," recorded and released in 1972. For those of you not familar with the song:

Been down so long, getting up didn't cross my mind
I knew there was a better way of life and I was just trying to find

You don't know what you'll do until you're put under pressure
Across 110th Street is a hell of a tester

Across 110th Street
Pimps trying to catch a woman that's weak
Across 110th Street
Pushers won't let the junkie go free

Across 110th Street
Woman trying to catch a trick on the street, ooh baby
Across 110th Street
You can find it all in the street

When Womack wrote this song, the census tracts immediately to the east of Columbia University were 100% and 99.36% Black. Today, those tracts are 55% and 65% Black. And the surrounding area is now called "SoHa."

Old 03-20-2014, 09:57 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
Race problems will dissappear when racial differences disappear.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:07 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Race problems will dissappear when racial differences disappear.
No, racial problems will disappear when people learn to accept that others are different from themselves.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
No, racial problems will disappear when people learn to accept that others are different from themselves.
And that being different is not a bad thing, but it important to recognize those differences.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:07 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And that being different is not a bad thing, but it important to recognize those differences.
Exactly.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:41 AM

334 posts, read 454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I have read threads on this forum and people keep on bringing up American history of things like segregation, "white flight", racial tensions as why American urban areas are the way they are.

Is it really that much of an influence in shaping the way cities are, or is it really a smaller influence than people think with many factors, socio-economic, cultural, logistic etc. playing a much bigger role. Perhaps stuff like inner city decline would be an issue, regardless of race, with poor stuck there.

People claim West coasters (compared to East coasters or Midwesterners) and Canadians and Australians don't have the same history of race relations and that explains urban differences.

Is this really true?

And how about today?

I really, really, wish we could go beyond race hang-ups in this 21st century in our society but since people keep bringing it up, I really wanted to get an idea of how important people really think it was (or is?) in shaping urban planning.
There are still active sundown towns in effect all throughout the USA.

At the end of the day it's about location, location, location and zip code and sometimes people equate such things in conjunction with race.

But many areas change over time in demographics. It's very complex.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:37 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post
There are still active sundown towns in effect all throughout the USA.
There were certainly some active in Oklahoma in the early 70s. My school played ball games in some of them. Get on the bus, go to the gym, get off the bus, play the game, get back on the bus, get the hell out of town. Make no stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning