Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This has information on the subject: Sundown Towns by James W. Loewen
The towns in Colorado are all "possible" rather than yes, and some of them are laughable. Colorado Springs? It's a military town with lots of diversity, not as anti-outsider as many CO towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 09:13 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If Llewellyn Park was the first "gated community" as the site claims, were the gates intended to keep particular people out?
They were intended to keep out anyone who didn't live there. It was and remains an exclusive community for the wealthy. I do not know if it had racial covenants; it was built somewhat before they became popular, and I've read articles suggesting it did not.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The towns in Colorado are all "possible" rather than yes, and some of them are laughable. Colorado Springs? It's a military town with lots of diversity, not as anti-outsider as many CO towns.
I think it's referring to conditions a long time ago not now. The author was rather broad including any place that excluded minority residents in some way.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:05 AM

That's probably every city in the world.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:44 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
They were intended to keep out anyone who didn't live there. It was and remains an exclusive community for the wealthy. I do not know if it had racial covenants; it was built somewhat before they became popular, and I've read articles suggesting it did not.
Not in the 1850s--but it was a safe assumption that a nonwhite customer would have been sternly refused. Racial covenants didn't really come into use until the 1920s, when people concerned about racial purity started getting alarmed about the possibility of people selling to nonwhite customers in their new housing developments.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:15 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think it's referring to conditions a long time ago not now. The author was rather broad including any place that excluded minority residents in some way.
This.....Many of those places listed are suspected to possibly have been restrictive or a Sundown Town, but some are pretty vague in terms of fitting the criteria or not.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

this interesting article might be relevant to the thread.

How We Built the Ghettos - The Daily Beast

Old 04-01-2014, 03:03 PM

And NYC-specific, but perhaps a general pattern and maybe a result of racial tensions decades ago.

Rebecca Carroll: There Are No Black Children Here: Finding A New York City School For My Son

At least NYC has decent schools to choose from. I'm amused to the author's naive assumption:

I waited my whole life to move to New York so that I could raise my child in the most diverse city in the country -- or so it had appeared to me in magazines and The New York Times, and during the few brief visits I'd made as a teenager.

But the New York I encountered as a mother visiting public and independent schools was a far different place than the city I had imagined from afar. Though students in the city's public schools overall are 30 percent African American and 40 percent Hispanic, many of the schools I visited seemed at first glance to be identical to what I encountered in rural New England. They were largely full of white kids.

This link annoyed me:

Few Black And Latino Students Were Admitted To New York City's Specialized Schools This Year

While these numbers do not differ drastically from last year, the numbers of minority students accepted did drop in specific schools.

Somehow asians don't count as minorities. Asians are a near majority in NYC magnet schools. Most come from working-class immigrant families, they're not exactly privileged.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Not in the 1850s--but it was a safe assumption that a nonwhite customer would have been sternly refused. Racial covenants didn't really come into use until the 1920s, when people concerned about racial purity started getting alarmed about the possibility of people selling to nonwhite customers in their new housing developments.
Actually, in the 1850s, slavery was still being practiced.

Racial restrictions are older than than the 1920s.
1920s?1948: Racially Restrictive Covenants
**Racially restrictive covenants became common after 1926 after the U.S. Supreme Court decision, Corrigan v. Buckley, which validated their use. . . . The practice of private, racially restrictive covenants evolved as a reaction to the Great Migration of Southern blacks and in response to the 1917 Court ruling (see Buchanan v. Warley) which declared municipally mandated racial zoning unconstitutional. Buchanan dealt only with legal statutes, thus leaving the door open for private agreements, such as restrictive covenants, to continue to perpetuate residential segregation.**

Historical Time Line
(There is a funny typo in here.)

Old 04-01-2014, 03:16 PM

It sounds like you're agreeing each other — you're quote says become common after 1926
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning