Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not entirely sure about that. Even in western cities, there are "black" parts of town, where a majority of the residents are black. Ditto Hispanic parts of town. That's not to say that blacks and Hispanics don't live in other parts of town, as well. The big issue with blacks is that there simply are fewer blacks here in Colorado than say, Pennsylvania.
That must be most of it. Oakland and a few other parts of California sound like they had similar tensions to northern cities, though a different recent demographic change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

So it seems that segregation (at least as it relates to blacks) was just as extreme on the West Coast. The difference is that there are so many more blacks on this side of the country. Prior to this last census, there were more Blacks in New York City than there were in the entire state of California. The NYC metropolitan area may have more Blacks than all of the western states combined.
Oakland, and California in general seem to have a rather large problem with violent crime in inner city black neighborhoods, perhaps among the worst in the county. Mostly from gangs. A comparison:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Murder rate breakdown by race (of victim), per 100k:

Oakland:

White: 4.9
Hispanic: 15.5
Asian: 6.1
Black: 65.2

Chicago:

White: 2.1
Hispanic: 11.0
Asian: 1.0
Black: 37.6

New York City:

White: 1.4
Hispanic: 5.9
Asian: 1.5
Black: 14.6

Hispanic blacks are counted as hispanics for New York City, dunno if the other cities even have a large population of hispanic blacks. For Oakland and Chicago numbers are 2009-2011, New York City, just 2011. For more violent cities such as Baltimore, even if all the murder victims were blacks, the black murder rate would still be lower than Oakland (around 47).
I'd assume San Francisco is somewhat similar to Oakland in black murder rate. And since Oakland has a significant black middle class population (I doubt jade408's neighborhood is particularly violent) in poorer black neighborhood it's worse than the averages suggest. Though the same could be said for wherever BajanYankee lives.

While probably caused initially by ghettoization and racism*, the high violent crime of minority (particularly black neighborhoods) creates more city avoidance and racial tensions / stereotyping than would otherwise.

*In the south, black on black violent crime was often ignored and not prosecuted by authorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 01:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
I don't think there's too much overt racism anywhere (with a few notable exceptions like genocides and European soccer stadiums). I've been all throughout the Deep South and never has anyone said to me, "Shine my shoes, boy!" It's hard to judge racism if it's not directed at you anyway.

What's a bit different in the U.S. is a greater degree of segregation (some voluntary, some not). And that's largely because we've had two different American cultures developing parallel to one another since 1607: White American culture and Black American culture. In America, Blacks have a culture and identity that is extremely distinct (churches, music, food, national anthem, colleges, etc.). That's not really the case in England or France where there's much more assimilation (and the government actively promotes it in the latter).
I guess you would have to live somewhere, or at least visit for some length of time, almost living there, to pick up on the racism. We know, b/c we read it in the media all the time, what is going on in the US. We don't hear that much about what's happening socially in other countries, not even Canada. From what I have read, France is hardly a great role model of Kum-by-ah!

Old 03-19-2014, 01:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I guess you would have to live somewhere, or at least visit for some length of time, almost living there, to pick up on the racism. We know, b/c we read it in the media all the time, what is going on in the US. We don't hear that much about what's happening socially in other countries, not even Canada. From what I have read, France is hardly a great role model of Kum-by-ah!
Unless you follow non-American news media.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
It's not that everything is a-okay. I only said that racial segregation is not as entrenched. That could be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:24 PM

^^From what I have read, France is not very assimilated, which is what you said.

Very interesting!
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/...144265709.html

Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
^^From what I have read, France is not very assimilated, which is what you said.
It's the opposite of what you're saying. France wants everyone to assimilate. The French basically say "You are not Algerian, Black, or Indian, you are FRENCH." And for the most part, a lot of minorities think that way. Here in the U.S., we have Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, Asian Heritage Month, etc. We actively celebrate difference here whereas in France they minimize it.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
It's the opposite of what you're saying. France wants everyone to assimilate. The French basically say "You are not Algerian, Black, or Indian, you are FRENCH." And for the most part, a lot of minorities think that way. Here in the U.S., we have Black History Month, Hispanic History Month, Asian History Month, etc. We actively celebrate difference here whereas in France they minimize it.
Did you read the above link?

**Even today, of France’s 577 members of parliament, only five are black. . . . Immigrants became the band-aid solution to France’s economic problems. . . .African immigrants who stayed were forced from slums into hostels where they were further segregated and ghettoised. . . Opposition to immigrants festered and, by 1977, more than half of France’s citizens said they wanted to see immigration numbers decrease.**

I do hear what you're saying, but France's approach does not seem to be working, either.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM

typical* black experience [appears to be somewhat integrated!] in Paris:

Justice - Stress (Official Video) - YouTube

Yes, I know that's not true. Not sure if this video reflect racist perceptions, is satire or an accurate reflection of a few thugs there.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:36 PM

Here's a comparison of Toronto vs NYC:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...l#post29817177

Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,278,163 times
A lot of blockbusting and white flight were due to more institutionalized forms of racism--did Canada or Australia have policies like redlining, where a neighborhood's credit risk (and thus its property value) were determined largely by the racial composition of the neighborhood until the early 1970s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning