U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:53 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,563,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
True. How many unincorporated places still exist as suburbs or exurbs of major metropolitan areas in this day and age?
In Sacramento County, there are nearly as many people in the fully suburbanized and developed but unincorporated county as there are in the largest regional city, Sacramento--something on the order of 400,000 people. Sacramento County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The city annexed a lot in the era from 1911-1960, and a bit since then, growing from 4 square miles to 98 square miles. The problem is that the wealthier suburbs have successfully resisted annexation, and the poorer suburbs would end up costing the city money as annexing them means paying for services currently supplied by the county, but low property values means the expected return is less than its cost. Of course, this means that the county government is in perpetual crisis--the cities have incorporated the "best" parts, leaving the county with the leftovers, plus the wealthier folks whose main impetus to resisting incorporation is paying as little as possible for services (and shifting the burden of things the county don't provide to the primate city.)

So yes, annexation is important, especially in the western United States that saw enormous suburban growth in the mid/late 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:55 PM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
It's needed to increase population and thus tax revenue.
A failed model and a dated premise.
The absolute LEAST thing needed anywhere is MORE people.

Plan around having fewer and using fewer resources...
and the rest will be paid better shifting assets back from th 1% as well.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:58 PM

2,701 posts, read 4,671,006 times
Quote:
True. How many unincorporated places still exist as suburbs or exurbs of major metropolitan areas in this day and age?
There are lots of them here in the Seattle area. Large swaths of suburbia here are unincorporated areas, surprisingly. Some big segments have been up for votes to be incorporated by nearby suburbs, but voted down by the residents. These are not just exurban areas, either- they are pretty well developed with lots of shopping, businesses, office parks, and of course thousands of houses. Kind of bizarre that the annexation couldn't have happened by now.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Be careful what you wish for…

If a city annexes too much, the new suburban voters will outvote the city voters. For better or worse, it would be governed for different interests [see, Toronto].

Old 03-17-2014, 02:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sometimes people want to be annexed to the city for better services.
This French poster wants his suburb to be annexed, not for better services but for lower taxes and less welfare spending:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
My city should annex the three surrounding departments (sorta counties), in other words triple in size population-wise and physically expand 7-fold:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uronne.svg.png

There were discussions about the possibility of a political greater Paris (much like Greater London), but nowadays Grand Paris is the name of a (massive) subway extension project. Needless to say, pretty much all the mayors, including Paris', opposed the project. Personally, I live in one of the three surrounding departments and I consider myself a Parisian. I couldn't care less about the tiny municipality I'm living in. Given the numerous public housing estates around here, a greater Paris would greatly lower local taxes. On a more general basis, it would help redistribute the wealth between the well-off parts of the inner "suburbs" and the poor ones. It would also prevent local mayors to build more social housing in already poverty-stricken areas just to get re-elected (like what's happening where I live).

Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,761,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
A failed model and a dated premise.
The absolute LEAST thing needed anywhere is MORE people.

Plan around having fewer and using fewer resources...
and the rest will be paid better shifting assets back from th 1% as well.
Yeah, I think sometimes the reason why it seems like a good idea is that the areas being annexed have new infrastructure that doesn't need maintenance yet but a substantial taxbase. Initially the increase in taxbase outweighs the increase in services required, but that won't necessarily continue to hold once that new infrastructure ages and needs to be fixed up.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 3,073,827 times
Quote:
I live in a unincorporated area now. Five minutes from downtown Atlanta. I can see the skyline every time I go to the store.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,859,209 times
Quote:

Which is how large cities such as New York and Chicago grew in the past. Often famous neighborhoods where separate towns.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:59 PM

415 posts, read 626,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Which is how large cities such as New York and Chicago grew in the past. Often famous neighborhoods where separate towns.
and being a person that lives in the Chicago burb's as i am... I hope Chicago never expands again, It's a black hole when it' comes to money... no amount is enough... if they get cashola' poof it's gone... kinda like Leasing the meters and the skyway, poof gone... they have tried selling Midway airport twice now... wait for the police n fireman to get slashed n burned in 2015......yumm...

Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,350,485 times
Quote:
Maybe so, but they don't get to vote on it and the city isn't doing it for the benefit of the then non-residents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning