U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,592,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've repeated this before, but I never got what you mean by "residential neighborhood". No stores whatsoever? Buses usually run on commercial streets. 5 or 10 minutes away it might be all residences. So get off bus, stores then home. I was going to say the same about downtown...
Well, you've never been to Louisville. The bus that services my neighborhood stops at a church about 1/4 mi. from my house. There are no stores around for about a mile. There are a couple of office buildings, one right next to the church and one across the street. Of course, you could get off at the shopping center a mile away and walk home, uphill if you wanted to. Many bus routes do serve residential neighborhoods, I think.

My spouse drives to work and he often walks to lunch, and his office isn't in d/t Boulder.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-01-2014 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:02 PM

27,169 posts, read 29,669,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Kinda off topic, but I was surprised to see that Amtrak isn't profitable. Do railway companies pay for railroad maintenance in the US or are these costs covered by another entity so different companies can run trains on the same tracks and to which said companies pay a toll?
Some routes are. But Amtrak is also forced to have those unprofitable long haul routes:

Amtrak loses a ton of money each year. It doesn’t have to.

The two routes I use the most, Capital Corridor and San Joaquin I think are now profitable, or very very close and have seen expansion in both passengers and frequency. Capital Corridor runs 15 trains/Amtrak-buses a day now.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 PM

Amtrak was formed in the 70s b/c railroads were discontinuing passenger service rapidly and Congress apparently decided that wasn't good. It actually is supposed to be for-profit. It is subsidized. People should inform themselves before proposing all sorts of grand ideas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-01-2014 at 07:28 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 07:52 PM

613 posts, read 892,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Kinda off topic, but I was surprised to see that Amtrak isn't profitable. Do railway companies pay for railroad maintenance in the US or are these costs covered by another entity so different companies can run trains on the same tracks and to which said companies pay a toll?
Are rail systems or other transit systems profitable in France, or perhaps other European countries?

Most sources I read about show that even European transit seems to have less than 100% farebox recovery ratio. All the really high examples are in Asia, Japan and Hong Kong.

If Europeans already have a hard time making 100% farebox recovery ratio, how much of a tougher time for Americans (outside of possibly the NYC metro area) then.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 PM

12,299 posts, read 15,196,725 times
The quixotic dream of a profitable transit system flies in the face of some that are only required to cover 25% of costs from fares. I think the closest is Vancouver's SkyTrain, fully automated.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:10 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,563,164 times
Quote:
I've repeated this before, but I never got what you mean by "residential neighborhood". No stores whatsoever? Buses usually run on commercial streets. 5 or 10 minutes away it might be all residences. So get off bus, stores then home. I was going to say the same about downtown...
A lot of western residential subdivisions are very distant from commercial areas, which are located in "power centers" that can be quite geographically distant. Especially in the case of gated HOA subdivisions, there simply aren't any commercial uses within easy walking distance.

Here's an example: Sun City Hills is a suburban development outside Lincoln, California. From the entrance near the country club, the nearest drugstore, a CVS, is a 3.6 mile walk.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/63+L...732217!1m0!3e2

By public transit? You can save 10 minutes off that 80 minute walk by driving to one bus stop in Roseville, about 10 miles south, taking that bus to another part of Roseville, and taking a different car to the CVS.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/63+L...732217!1m0!3e3

There is a rudimentary transit system during business hours on weekdays, and they even have a point to point "Dial a Ride" service, but they don't even have a map of the two hourly transit routes on their website:

Lincoln Home

Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 PM

613 posts, read 892,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The quixotic dream of a profitable transit system flies in the face of some that are only required to cover 25% of costs from fares. I think the closest is Vancouver's SkyTrain, fully automated.
How much is its farebox recovery ratio? Does it come close to breaking even?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Amtrak was formed in the 70s b/c railroads were discontinuing passenger service rapidly and Congress apparently decided that wasn't good. It actually is supposed to be for-profit. It is subsidized. People should inform themselves before proposing all sorts of grand ideas.

Amtrak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How/why was it supposed to be?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Are rail systems or other transit systems profitable in France, or perhaps other European countries?
High speed rail in European countries generally makes a profit (covering operating costs not construction costs). The slower, local speed trains don't. The French railroad company, SNCF, makes a profit. It also runs some US rail operations, MBTA rail in eastern Massachusetts is operated by SNCF through a US subsidiary.

Keolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for Amtrak, it looks like for most shorter-distance routes the subsidy is small, 10-20% as of jade408's link, with a few making a small profit and the Acela a large profit. The long-distance ones are the big money losers.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
How/why was it supposed to be?
That I don't know, I'm going by the Wiki article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or