Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:09 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,172 times

Advertisements

I was reading about farebox recovery ratios and it seems like few public transit systems can really get by without subsidy but I was wondering if there were any that do get a net profit. I don't think many American transit systems are private, but for the public ones that earn a net profit, if they do, where does it usually go (or where would it go)?

It seems like all of the ones I've read about in cities that earn enough money from fares to pay for themselves are examples from cities not in the US. Then again, you can also earn from other sources like ads, not just fares.

Would any American ones do? Which US cities' systems do you think would get a net profit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
The NYC subway farebox recovery ratio is currently 77%. It wouldn't be too much harder to raise it near 100%. Best way to do so would to have a zone fare system, as currently a Manhattan resident traveling 2 miles pays the same as an outer borough resident going 9 miles, with the latter probably on an emptier train, at least off peak. Doing so would be regressive and politically impractical. And pointless, IMO.

Does Metro ask riders to pay too much? - Greater Greater Washington

Raising fares is probably more practical than most, as the decline in transit trips to cars would be small, it's a bit of a captive audience.

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2008/07...ble-the-fares/

Old 03-30-2014, 10:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Some private bus agencies report a profit, mainly commuter oriented buses for New Jersey / NY west of the Hudson. And oddly, SEPTA trollybuses.

Cap'n Transit Rides Again: The 2008 farebox numbers

Old 03-30-2014, 10:26 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The NYC subway farebox recovery ratio is currently 77%. It wouldn't be too much harder to raise it near 100%. Best way to do so would to have a zone fare system, as currently a Manhattan resident traveling 2 miles pays the same as an outer borough resident going 9 miles, with the latter probably on an emptier train, at least off peak. Doing so would be regressive and politically impractical. And pointless, IMO.

Does Metro ask riders to pay too much? - Greater Greater Washington

Raising fares is probably more practical than most, as the decline in transit trips to cars would be small, it's a bit of a captive audience.

Thinking Out Loud: The MTA should double the fares :: Second Ave. Sagas
I take it that it is highly unlikely for a city bus or subway/metro system to come close to 100%, right? At least in practical terms that the general public will accept, like raising fares or changing fare systems as you mention.

Usually the highest I read about are 70-80%. I wonder if a city's transit has ever gotten near self-sustaining at some point over the years in the past.

I wonder how much ads/businesses (such as the businesses inside stations) contribute too and if there is any potential in that regard (eg. businesses that pop up near transit oriented growth) in the future for cities.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Are the numbers people are posting direct costs only or direct and indirect?
What do you mean by indirect costs?

Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Many distance-based systems in Asia are profitable. Most others are not.

Farebox recovery ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That model would need to change in the US, but there's a bigger issue with perception and desirability because transit is bastardized in the US. Enough people need to ride AND the system needs to recover funding based on distance of each ride.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What do you mean by indirect costs?
Construction, maintenance, land acquisition, pensions, all the pieces that go into providing the system.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:57 AM

5,898 posts, read 6,102,230 times
I'm pretty sure these numbers consider only operating costs.

Toronto's GO Transit comes close at 82% farebox recovery. The fares are distance based, but they're still very expensive over shorter distances, so it's not very practical as a more urban mass transit system (rather than suburban/commuter).

Cost of a one way ticket

Bloor to Union: $5.20
Burlington to Union: $9.80
Kitchener to Union: $16.10

Burlington is I think about 10 times further than Bloor, and Kitchener about 20 times further. Bloor to Union costs I think close to double what it would cost on the TTC. The cost per trip goes down the more trips you take, but it's still pretty high. I think it's fair that high end transit like this is less subsidized than transit that's more affordable to provide.

The TTC has 73% farebox recovery, I think the subways are profitable, although their ridership would not be as high if not for the buses so it's not entirely fair to isolate them like that. Vancouver's Skytrain might have >100% farebox recovery too, it's pretty cheap to operate since the trains are automated.

Last edited by memph; 03-31-2014 at 08:35 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 AM

560 posts, read 751,772 times
Boston's farebox recover ratio is terrible at 37%

Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default transit bargain

Also consider the trillions in oil wars necessary to sustain the car culture. Then there are the environmental disasters like Exxon Valdez & BP Gulf rig. Makes transit look like a bargain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
because people think "mass transit" equates to "Welfare" yet highways aren't considered in the same light since they are used by many more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning