U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:04 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My post above is outdoor seating for a restaurant on a street with no car traffic though some foot traffic.
There is no traffic there at the moment, but there are several bikes, and a "No Parking" sign which leads me to believe that at times there is traffic there. In fact, if you play with the picture, you see a bus and cars down the block, apparently stopped at a stop sign or light, waiting to drive down the street past the cafe. It seems to be a one-way street. This cafe is not in the outback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 05:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is no traffic there at the moment, but there are several bikes, and a "No Parking" sign which leads me to believe that at times there is traffic there. In fact, if you play with the picture, you see a bus and cars down the block, apparently stopped at a stop sign or light, waiting to drive down the street past the cafe. It seems to be a one-way street. This cafe is not in the outback.
Not seeing the no parking sign. are you talking about the linked street here or something else:

Quote:
These sidewalk cafes are definitely not on a main street:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Stone...40.13,,0,-2.28

Ditto with that Northampton view I posted
here's another photo:

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/57816831

Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 PM

Post #126: There is a "No Parking" sign (at least I think that's what it is) on the pole just to the right of the guy in the Phillies hat. Actually, if you move the picture to the right, there are cars parked on the other side of the street, and one driving down the street in front of the guy on the bike.

The picture of Hanover Square in NYC shows a one way sign on the street, indicating it is used by cars. People are walking down the street to some umbrellas; it looks like there's some sort of a street fair going on.

The last picture shows some tables set up in the street, again, as if a street fair is happening.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
It was stated, by our mod, that it was a picture with no car traffic. Well, in the very limited sense, yes, but all you have to do is pan around a bit to find out that is not so.
I was referring to the NYC view, not the Philly one which obviously has car traffic.

That NYC street is a pedestrian only street at least normally despite the one-way sign (the one-way street may be from before it was pedestrian only). Those tables were there when I walked through it, they were for restaurant seating not for a street fair. The umbrellas I think are connected with the tables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Street_(Manhattan)

It wasn't meant to argue much of anything, it's obviously not typical. But it's an example of a sidewalk cafe on a street without any car traffic. So would pedestrian mall restaurants.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I was referring to the NYC view, not the Philly one which obviously has car traffic.

That NYC street is a pedestrian only street at least normally despite the one-way sign (the one-way street may be from before it was pedestrian only). Those tables were there when I walked through it, they were for restaurant seating not for a street fair. The umbrellas I think are connected with the tables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Street_(Manhattan)

It wasn't meant to argue much of anything, it's obviously not typical. But it's an example of a sidewalk cafe on a street without any car traffic. So would pedestrian mall restaurants.
Well, OK. But really, the point being made was that people find an outdoor cafe just feet from traffic "invigorating", according to some on this forum. So why should it matter than "town squares" should be traffic-free?

Old 04-06-2014, 08:56 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Quote:
Well, OK. But really, the point being made was that people find an outdoor cafe just feet from traffic "invigorating", according to some on this forum. So why should it matter than "town squares" should be traffic-free?
It doesn't matter, though there is a difference between a square having light local traffic around it and being surrounded by highway type roads that are full of traffic and cars moving over 45mph on them.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I wasn't posting on that point in my last point, nor the last few. You're not arguing against anything I said, I think.

I said several times in thread that I find less traffic noise is nicer. Outdoor cafes can be pleasant, too but the traffic noise is a bit of a downside. And some commercial streets have less noise than others. These seem all obvious points, I feel like this is just argument for the sake of argument.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It doesn't matter, though there is a difference between a square having light local traffic around it and being surrounded by highway type roads that are full of traffic and cars moving over 45mph on them.
Oh, good Lord. By your very own definition, a town square must be in the center of town ... where you will likely be hard pressed to find any highway type roads or anyone moving 45 mph.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, good Lord. By your very own definition, a town square must be in the center of town ... where you will likely be hard pressed to find any highway type roads or anyone moving 45 mph.
That is true, that is where a town square is found. Are there any town squares that you have experienced that you have enjoyed? Any places you feel should have one but don't?

Last edited by nei; 04-07-2014 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
kidphilly used the term "THE" main drag, referring to Philadelphia. Yes, restaurants are on commercial streets. Commercial streets have traffic. That's what this whole hijack has been about. People have been claiming that they know of outdoor cafes on streets that don't have traffic, or much traffic. What would be the point of opening your restaurant somewhere that has no traffic? No one would know it was there.
I used the "the" meaning by neighborhood. Almost all neighborhoods have a more major street but there are many cafes not on "the" main street of a particular neighborhood. More that are than not but not uncommon either.

Would you consider these a main street?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9379...7W1ab-izMg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9411...V7FaLj6yjA!2e0

wheras this would be a main street
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9501...kLV81IXxYA!2e0

or even this more in non central neighborhood, but "the" main street of that neighborhood
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9293...ebsRvSZ_qQ!2e0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or