Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I guess. Too much an Chicagoan.

I like:
Grant Park (Chicago) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grass, trees and plants and things. Green space. Those lack that and without that they look like almost any other piece of concrete in an concrete city.
Parks are beautiful and important. Portland has the South Park Blocks and the North Park Blocks downtown that achieve this need, but they serve a different function than what a town square is suppose to serve.

Portland South Park Blocks

Chicago is an interesting city because it is mostly void of these squares, though Grant Park does function as a gathering place for the city. The square that is south of the Wrigley Building and north of the river on Michigan is sort of like a town square. I always liked that area because I felt like I was standing in the center of Chicago when I stood in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 09:57 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

This I Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Maybe it would be a desirable "living room" for a brief period of time when one was a student. Folks don't want a living room like that when they grow up. Sure there are a lot of people with nothing better to do forming "masses" but the existence of the "masses" is the reason to avoid it in the first place - unless of course you are a pickpocket or thug.

The urbanistas complain about walking across or even in front of a parking lot in town but think this is somehow different or great when large numbers of people are crammed into the space? There are plenty of cities that have parks or open areas with festivals and events which concentrate masses (a very small fraction of people but crammed in a small place creating major congestion). I would try to avoid going there due to the congestion and the difficulty of parking in the area. Besides who wants to be around the city drunks/druggies that are always attracted to these events and the people that frequent them.

As I recall, Portland only has about 142 days of sun annually. Concrete does have advantages over soggy parks for handling foot dependent traffic. Plus the city doesn't have to deal with the mess that would be created by visitors bringing pets to the "gathering area". Visitors are not likely to be walking their dogs in the concrete park.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Maybe it would be a desirable "living room" for a brief period of time when one was a student. Folks don't want a living room like that when they grow up. Sure there are a lot of people with nothing better to do forming "masses" but the existence of the "masses" is the reason to avoid it in the first place - unless of course you are a pickpocket or thug.

The urbanistas complain about walking across or even in front of a parking lot in town but think this is somehow different or great when large numbers of people are crammed into the space? There are plenty of cities that have parks or open areas with festivals and events which concentrate masses (a very small fraction of people but crammed in a small place creating major congestion). I would try to avoid going there due to the congestion and the difficulty of parking in the area. Besides who wants to be around the city drunks/druggies that are always attracted to these events and the people that frequent them.

As I recall, Portland only has about 142 days of sun annually. Concrete does have advantages over soggy parks for handling foot dependent traffic. Plus the city doesn't have to deal with the mess that would be created by visitors bringing pets to the "gathering area". Visitors are not likely to be walking their dogs in the concrete park.
Actually people gather in Pioneer Courthouse Square for all sorts of reasons and are all sorts of ages and walks of life. It is a really great space that gets used year round even though Portland only gets 142 days of sun. Also the square isn't just some pickpocket/thug gathering area, unless young people scare you in general, but I don't know you so I can't say.

Drunks/druggies aren't the people that use Pioneer Courthouse Square, the city actually does a really good job to police the area and keep it pleasant for the people that use the space. In Portland, you would park at one of the parking garages nearby and walk to get to the Square, or you can hop on any MAX train line because they all stop at the Square making it very easy for people to access.

No, if one is downtown and needs to walk their dog, there is the nearby Park Blocks for that.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post

The urbanistas complain about walking across or even in front of a parking lot in town but think this is somehow different or great when large numbers of people are crammed into the space? There are plenty of cities that have parks or open areas with festivals and events which concentrate masses (a very small fraction of people but crammed in a small place creating major congestion). I would try to avoid going there due to the congestion and the difficulty of parking in the area.
Yes, because I'd rather be surrounded by other people and interesting building than a field of car, which while I don't think it's as dangerous as some claim, you still need to watch out. As for the difficulty of parking, then why not take transit?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:14 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
Hahaha the only reason people would gather in public squares is to do drugs and pickpocket? This is insanity. It almost sounds like a parody.

I've been to public squares in cities all over the world and I enjoy hanging out there, people-watching, sipping a drink (doesn't have to be alcoholic) and many different types of people of all age ranges enjoy the same with me.

The idea that ONLY the immature or degenerate would enjoy such things shows an extreme amount of ignorance of how the world actually operates.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Eweh and UGH! Too much concrete and barrenness for my tastes. I prefer grass and parks. Who wants to gather in what looks like an parking lot.
That was my feeling about most of Europe, or at least the European cities that I saw, e.g. Brussels, Antwerp, Cologne, Frankfort and even some littler ones. A friend was showing us some pictures of Stockholm and it's like that there, too.

I'm with you. Now in Denver, we have Civic Center Park.
https://www.google.com/search?q=civi...2F%3B713%3B475

Old 04-03-2014, 11:04 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually people gather in Pioneer Courthouse Square for all sorts of reasons and are all sorts of ages and walks of life. It is a really great space that gets used year round even though Portland only gets 142 days of sun. Also the square isn't just some pickpocket/thug gathering area, unless young people scare you in general, but I don't know you so I can't say.
Young people do not "scare me" and I certainly never suggested that the pickpocket/thug group was a particular age range. People that insist upon dictating hamster-style living in pre-determined "growth corridors" are a bit offensive though.

For all the push to be "more European", how long before you start posting European warning signs:
http://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/wp-co...cket-Signs.jpg

Quote:
Drunks/druggies aren't the people that use Pioneer Courthouse Square, the city actually does a really good job to police the area and keep it pleasant for the people that use the space. In Portland, you would park at one of the parking garages nearby and walk to get to the Square, or you can hop on any MAX train line because they all stop at the Square making it very easy for people to access.
Your second picture of the square with the masses would be a reason to avoid town entirely during that event. Calling it a "living room" is a joke and would only be appealing perhaps to the stereotype of a college student keg party.

Quote:
No, if one is downtown and needs to walk their dog, there is the nearby Park Blocks for that.
That comment you reference in conjunction with the observation about the minimal sun (142 days per year) was reflective of why a concrete park makes sense for handling masses in Portland.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Philly has 5 squares from the original design of William Penn - but are more park-like today - one even called a circle today

generally I am an advocate of such place as they are a good resting/chilling place in cores - they work well in smaller towns as well

Philly Squares

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rsher/...-aQxbfK-bQqu5D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/381726...-jsqZiA-jspNWd

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruhin...-4UtfYL-8CdKHU

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbrome...-8SYsu4-8T2xAE

And the last one City Hall - an interior square

https://www.flickr.com/photos/196958...-2ZqtnJ-2Zm4YB

And the currently being completed (summer 2014) re-do of the Dilworth plaza portion
New Plans For Dilworth Plaza Redesign Include Cafe, Ice Skating Rink, Concert Space and Lots of Trees | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

Old 04-03-2014, 11:11 AM

338 posts, read 446,686 times
Pittsburgh has Market Square right in their core. It is a great place to eat/shop/drink/listen to live music/people watch etc. I still have no idea how to post pics here but heres the link of google images.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mark...bih=880#imgdii=_

Old 04-03-2014, 11:13 AM

338 posts, read 446,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philly has 5 squares from the original design of William Penn - but are more park-like today - one even called a circle today

generally I am an advocate of such place as they are a good resting/chilling place in cores - they work well in smaller towns as well

Philly Squares

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rsher/...-aQxbfK-bQqu5D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/381726...-jsqZiA-jspNWd

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruhin...-4UtfYL-8CdKHU

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbrome...-8SYsu4-8T2xAE

And the last one City Hall - an interior square

https://www.flickr.com/photos/196958...-2ZqtnJ-2Zm4YB

And the currently being completed (summer 2014) re-do of the Dilworth plaza portion
New Plans For Dilworth Plaza Redesign Include Cafe, Ice Skating Rink, Concert Space and Lots of Trees | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

Rittenhouse Square is pretty awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning