U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,519,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That was my feeling about most of Europe, or at least the European cities that I saw, e.g. Brussels, Antwerp, Cologne, Frankfort and even some littler ones. A friend was showing us some pictures of Stockholm and it's like that there, too.

I'm with you. Now in Denver, we have Civic Center Park.
https://www.google.com/search?q=civi...2F%3B713%3B475
I have been through Civic Center Park, definitely a great space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 11:38 AM

86,999 posts, read 102,581,357 times
The Steinbaugh Pavilion area is Louisville's "public square". There's a music/beer festival every Friday in the summer, and ice skating in the winter.
https://www.google.com/search?client...ion%20pictures

Street location:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...c1241f2c48b551

There's also Community Park, but that's really a park.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...d9de6ecf5275f4

Concerts, 4th of July celebration:
https://www.google.com/maps/preview/...d=0CKEBEKIqMAo

Old 04-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Young people do not "scare me" and I certainly never suggested that the pickpocket/thug group was a particular age range. People that insist upon dictating hamster-style living in pre-determined "growth corridors" are a bit offensive though.

For all the push to be "more European", how long before you start posting European warning signs:
http://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/wp-co...cket-Signs.jpg
Yes, sometimes big, crowded cities it is smart to warn tourists of pick pocketing. Though it is smart to be aware of your surroundings, people can pickpocket you even in a store in the suburbs.

What is "hamster-style living?" You have used that term before, which I assume you are using it in a derogatory way, but I wouldn't mind hearing what your definition of the term is.

Quote:
Your second picture of the square with the masses would be a reason to avoid town entirely during that event. Calling it a "living room" is a joke and would only be appealing perhaps to the stereotype of a college student keg party.

That comment you reference in conjunction with the observation about the minimal sun (142 days per year) was reflective of why a concrete park makes sense for handling masses in Portland.
[/quote]

The second picture was during a protest, which people gathered in the square before their march. The square gets used for lots of different things. They do movie night every friday there during the summer which is really nice on a warm summer night watching a classic movie of some sort. Also, it sounds like you have never heard the term "Portland's Living Room" or know much about this square if you think it is a place for college student keg parties. The only time one can drink in the square is when there is a beer festival going on like the Winter Beer Fest which is a lot of fun to go to because you get to sample local winter beers from all over the region, but not something I would ever call a college keg party.

Portlanders don't need the sun to enjoy their time outside in a square, the temperature there is usually pretty mild and makes it comfortable to sit outside for much of the year. Also, rain really isn't much of an issue for a Portlander, it is usually just drizzle or overcast weather.

This should teach you more about Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square and why it is called their living room.
Pioneer Courthouse Square - Portland, Oregon

Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
Pittsburgh has Market Square right in their core. It is a great place to eat/shop/drink/listen to live music/people watch etc. I still have no idea how to post pics here but heres the link of google images.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mark...bih=880#imgdii=_
That is a really great space, it has been about 15 years since I was last in Pittsburgh and didn't get to spend enough time downtown so I don't remember this area, but that definitely fits the mold of a European town square.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The Steinbaugh Pavilion area is Louisville's "public square". There's a music/beer festival every Friday in the summer, and ice skating in the winter.
https://www.google.com/search?client...ion%20pictures

Street location:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...c1241f2c48b551

There's also Community Park, but that's really a park.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...d9de6ecf5275f4

Concerts, 4th of July celebration:
https://www.google.com/maps/preview/...d=0CKEBEKIqMAo
The Pavilion is definitely an interesting public square, I definitely like how well it is used within the small town. It kind of has that Colorado Frontier look to it.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:21 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,349,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, sometimes big, crowded cities it is smart to warn tourists of pick pocketing. Though it is smart to be aware of your surroundings, people can pickpocket you even in a store in the suburbs.

What is "hamster-style living?" You have used that term before, which I assume you are using it in a derogatory way, but I wouldn't mind hearing what your definition of the term is.
Go to a pet store and look at the hamsters.

Quote:
The second picture was during a protest, which people gathered in the square before their march.
Yeah that's what I want to use tax dollars for. Providing a concrete park for people to protest in in the middle of downtown. I certainly wouldn't want to accommodate a bunch of malcontents in my "living room".

Quote:
The square gets used for lots of different things. They do movie night every friday there during the summer which is really nice on a warm summer night watching a classic movie of some sort. Also, it sounds like you have never heard the term "Portland's Living Room" or know much about this square if you think it is a place for college student keg parties. The only time one can drink in the square is when there is a beer festival going on like the Winter Beer Fest which is a lot of fun to go to because you get to sample local winter beers from all over the region, but not something I would ever call a college keg party.
Never said it was used for keg parties. Said the only people that would want such a "living room" would be the stereotypical keg party types. Who else would want masses of strangers in their "living room". The bottom line is you find hamster style living and events appealing but you need other hamsters to participate and pay for it. Others don't find high density housing or "density for density's sake" to be particularly appealing.

Quote:
Portlanders don't need the sun to enjoy their time outside in a square, the temperature there is usually pretty mild and makes it comfortable to sit outside for much of the year. Also, rain really isn't much of an issue for a Portlander, it is usually just drizzle or overcast weather.
They don't really have a choice in the matter, do they? The sun isn't happening for most of the year. I thought it was pretty sad when a "sun break" actually makes the news. Portland also doesn't get much lightning or thunder either which makes it a bit boring for those who appreciate variations in weather. It is a great place for plants, moss, and mold of which I saw plenty growing on rooftops in the areas around Portland. There were lots and many colors of plants and trees.

A concrete park makes sense if your goal is trying to accommodate masses of people in small areas. If it were a grassy park, the ground would be quite soggy and neither the ground nor the grass would be suitable for high traffic.

Quote:
This should teach you more about Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square and why it is called their living room.
Pioneer Courthouse Square - Portland, Oregon
Doesn't explain why it's called the "living room" and I'm not particularly fond of so called "non-profits" in "partnership" with local government. The non-profit may not be profitable for its members and donors but it is usually profitable to the executive director or those that have control over the non-profit. One might ask why the city needs a "non-profit" to "manage" its "living room".

Old 04-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Go to a pet store and look at the hamsters.
I have never heard that term before, based on your response I can only assume it means people who live in their house and never leaves because everything they need is in their home.

Quote:
Yeah that's what I want to use tax dollars for. Providing a concrete park for people to protest in in the middle of downtown. I certainly wouldn't want to accommodate a bunch of malcontents in my "living room".

Never said it was used for keg parties. Said the only people that would want such a "living room" would be the stereotypical keg party types. Who else would want masses of strangers in their "living room". The bottom line is you find hamster style living and events appealing but you need other hamsters to participate and pay for it. Others don't find high density housing or "density for density's sake" to be particularly appealing.
Well people do like to protest in Portland, but that is the point of a public square, to have it be used for a number of things throughout the year.

Your idea of the only type of people that would go to the Square is incorrect. Plain and simple, it isn't just stereotypical keg party types....actually finding "keg party types" in the Square is pretty hard to do because there are so many different types of people that use it daily.

You do understand the term "living room" means the city's living room, not anyone's private living room.

Those that don't like anything to do with density can easily live outside of the Portland metro and enjoy the lack of density without ever having to step foot inside a dense place of any kind....not sure what that has to do with this thread...guessing off topic.

Quote:
They don't really have a choice in the matter, do they? The sun isn't happening for most of the year. I thought it was pretty sad when a "sun break" actually makes the news. Portland also doesn't get much lightning or thunder either which makes it a bit boring for those who appreciate variations in weather. It is a great place for plants, moss, and mold of which I saw plenty growing on rooftops in the areas around Portland. There were lots and many colors of plants and trees.

A concrete park makes sense if your goal is trying to accommodate masses of people in small areas. If it were a grassy park, the ground would be quite soggy and neither the ground nor the grass would be suitable for high traffic.
After all the weather I have had to deal with in the NYC metro these two years, I would take Portland's overcast mild weather any day over "non boring weather." I miss the lush greenery throughout the city.

If you want a grassy area, Tom McCall Park along the waterfront is where you go for events on the grass, which happen throughout the spring, summer, and fall.

Quote:
Doesn't explain why it's called the "living room" and I'm not particularly fond of so called "non-profits" in "partnership" with local government. The non-profit may not be profitable for its members and donors but it is usually profitable to the executive director or those that have control over the non-profit. One might ask why the city needs a "non-profit" to "manage" its "living room".
"Pioneer Courthouse Square has been called "Portland's living room" in reference to its enhanced civic role as a place for the public to gather in and use." That is about as good as its going to get, I can't make you understand why it is called Portland's Living Room if you don't want to understand why it is called that.

The non-profit group organizes the events that happen on the Square so that the city doesn't need to create a department that deals with that.

This is the board of trustees for the non-profit group, each can only serve two consecutive terms, which the primary goal is to make sure the Square is taken care of and that it can afford to stay functioning with events, not make a profit for the executive directors, which there aren't any traditional executive directors.
Pioneer Courthouse Square - Board of Trustees and Staff

Old 04-03-2014, 01:36 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,938,981 times
Union Square in Manhattan combines a town square, a park, a transit hub and a green market all in one.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,157,756 times
A different take on a public square as a skate board mecca

Love Park/Square

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NiuYBoIryU

LOVE Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-03-2014, 01:54 PM

358 posts, read 359,870 times
Pioneer Courthouse Square is very nice and I enjoyed spending time there when I visited. I wish we had something like that in my city. It wasn't crowded at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or