Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 01:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'd guess a "plaza" is about the same thing as a bowling green, since Wiki listed a lot of synonyms, that being one of them. See how much you can learn on CD? Have you ever been to Saratoga Springs, NY? They have some sort of "green".
No, sounds like a nice town to check out. I'm in that area maybe once or twice a year, maybe I could make a side trip that ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 02:01 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Or we can make cities more pedestrian, bike, and transit friendly to reduce the need for auto traffic.
As far as I can tell, pedestrians, bikes, trolleys (noisy!!!) and buses (noisy!!!! and smelly!!!!!!) use the same routes around the parks - erm, excuse me, town squares - as cars.

Traffic noise has never diminished my enjoyment of the central gathering place.

Funny how the same people who celebrate eating dinner a few yards from traffic at sidewalk cafes would shudder at the noise of traffic experienced from deep inside a city park. Consistency, thou art a jewel.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
As far as I can tell, pedestrians, bikes, trolleys (noisy!!!) and buses (noisy!!!! and smelly!!!!!!) use the same routes around the parks - erm, excuse me, town squares - as cars.

Traffic noise has never diminished my enjoyment of the central gathering place.

Funny how the same people who celebrate eating dinner a few yards from traffic at sidewalk cafes would shudder at the noise of traffic experienced from deep inside a city park. Consistency, thou art a jewel.
Trains aren't always noisy, the MAX and Portland Streetcar are both pretty quiet. As for buses, they can be noisy, but only in high numbers, as for smelly, it depends on the type of bus. In Portland's case it isn't really a big deal, one can really enjoy hanging out and people watching in the Square without having surrounding noises be too much of an issue.

Outdoor space for cafes do better in walkable communities than they do on big busy roads, but that is off topic, so if we could keep this about town squares specifically, that would be great.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Public, er, squares can be a good place for kids to play when they are out with their parents in the downtown. Far better than kids playing in traffic.

Last edited by nei; 04-05-2014 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 04:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Some streets are far noiser and busier than others so you'd check what type of streets are being discussed.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:

See the previous post I made (on page 9).

Sitting by a relatively quiet (car-trafficed) and eating on a sidewalk cafe is nice. Sitting on a noisy, very busy one is not. Being in a park (or public square) with a bit of a light traffic sound isn't too bad. Having the car traffic so loud that was always present background rumble is not. Large parks I'd expect to be quieter as they're supposed to be natural more so than a sidewalk cafe or public square. Not sure why this is so odd, or inconsistent. Or why this got so much argument.

Last edited by nei; 04-05-2014 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: fixed typos

Old 04-05-2014, 06:39 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Some streets are far noiser and busier than others so you'd check what type of streets are being discussed.
I don't know of too many sidewalk cafes that aren't on a main drag. That's my experience. Vilify it all you want, but it doesn't change it.

The constant moving of goalposts and changing of definitions in this thread has been quite irritating.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know of too many sidewalk cafes that aren't on a main drag. That's my experience. Vilify it all you want, but it doesn't change it.

The constant moving of goalposts and changing of definitions in this thread has been quite irritating.
Are those sidewalk cafes busy? And what do you consider to be a "main drag?" Are those cafes on big 4-6 lane roads with lots of cars running up and down them.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:52 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Goalposts, shmoalposts. It's a big country, and easy to find examples of sidewalk cafes on busy or quiet streets, parks that are on busy or quiet streets, and people who like one or the other, or both under different circumstances.

Of the half-dozen Sacramento city parks that I posted, all are of the tree-lined variety, with varying levels of concrete coverage but all with at least some grass, in part as a response to a specific climate (our one experiment with concrete hardscape and no tree cover, the K Street pedestrian mall, was a huge flop in part because concrete with no shade gets hot enough to fry the proverbial egg.) Some are busy (or, during free concerts, very busy) and others are relatively quiet--but they both have uses, and often appeal to the same people at different times. Those folks might enjoy a loud nightclub one night, or a quiet cafe another; or a bustling street fair in one park, or a solitary stroll among the trees in another (or the same park on a different day.) The secret to cities is variety and choice, there is no single best way to do things!

Old 04-05-2014, 06:58 PM

Antwerp is one of the European cities I am really fascinated with when it comes to their squares. They have a number of them throughout the city. This is the Grote Markt Town Square, it is the location of the Town Hall and the Church of St Peter. In the European sense, it incorporates all sorts of things, but still manages to put pedestrians first.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grote_Markt_(Leuven)

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=51.22...158.88,,0,1.32

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning