U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 05:09 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,514,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Set schedule, what they usually do if a train starts running late is run that train express to get it back on schedule. Which means that if your station is one being skipped you may have to leave the train and board the next. If they are extremely delayed then the next one might run express past your station too.
Do you know how common this is for the El?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 05:21 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,514,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There you go making up your own facts again. Can we all do make up our own facts? Or is that a liberty only you have been accorded?

61.0% of Dallas commuters have commutes that are less than 30 minutes. In Manhattan, that number is only 46.5%. Dallas also has more total commuters who get to work in less than 10 minutes (the Manhattan commuters who can do that are likely the ones living and working in Midtown or Downtown). Any way you cut it, Dallas commuters are getting to work faster than Manhattan commuters. There's no real "spin" you can put on this.
Speaking of Dallas, a city I will say I know almost nothing about, has built a really good rail system in the past 20 years and looks like they have been following the Portland model. They use a really interesting looking Japanese trains.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,858,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Do you know how common this is for the El?
Don't have statistics, can only find number of trains over 10 mins late per. month, but not the ones that ran express but it is pretty common.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM

12,296 posts, read 15,190,901 times
How about less of a hassle than driving, less wear and tear on your car, even have a group you hang with? Especially when the distance to work is over 30 miles. I know people who would rather commute 30 miles by train than 15 driving. NOTE: doesn't quite work for five-mile light rail test tracks.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 PM

1,110 posts, read 908,585 times
It's pretty simple: there are several reasons that could affect your decision to commute by public transit or car, but it's a subjective choice that only you can make for yourself. There are some days that I dislike driving, but in the end, I'd rather use a car for most of my trips because I have more control of my situation. Some people value spending time reading on their commute (which to be honest, I've been on public transit in several cities and I've never seen a single person reading; usually they are listening to music - which can be done in a car). I usually like to read online material, but I don't want to use my data plan so reading on the bus/train would not work for me. In the end, it's up to you to decide what you like more.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:26 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,858,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
How about less of a hassle than driving, less wear and tear on your car, even have a group you hang with? Especially when the distance to work is over 30 miles. I know people who would rather commute 30 miles by train than 15 driving. NOTE: doesn't quite work for five-mile light rail test tracks.

Trains are better at that kind of commute esp. commuter ones.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 AM

8,422 posts, read 4,363,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I prefer transit, behind walking and biking (depending on the distance/route). Here are my reasons:

1. Much cheaper than owning a car.

2. Physical exercise mixed in with my commute. I hate sitting all day and then sitting in the car on the way home.

3. Less stressful. This one is subjective, depending on where you need to commute from and to. In other words, I could prefer a car commute over a transit commute, but all things being equal (15 min car commute vs. 25 transit commute), I'd take transit every time. If it came down to an hour transit commute, I would be less happy with it...but same thing with a car.

One thing to note here is that I find driving stressful and not everyone does. This is my preference because I find most car commuting hectic, dangerous and stressful. Highway merging, cars ripping across lanes, etc.

The big benefit for transit being that I get to read, listen to music and just relax and I don't have to manage my way through traffic.

4. I like walking out my front door and spending time outside. For me, it's a sense of freedom and every day feels less similar. I like taking different streets or lines and seeing different people, shops, architecture, etc.
As an adult,I have always lived in a city too small[67,000 pop.]for mass transit,but I would have loved it for all the great reasons that you gave,and I totally agree with!

BTW, if you are able to read and relax on transit then obviously transit most certainly does not always mean everyone has to ride standing up and packed like sardines as in the photos posted in the beginning of this thread by BajanYankee,right?

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 04-09-2014 at 04:46 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Highways built with design speeds of 75 mph are daily zero to 5 mph parking lots for one.
Established, historic neighborhoods bulldozed so commuters from the suburbs could get downtown quicker.
One way commutes of an hour or longer in many growing cities.
A huge amount of capital invested in an inefficient transportation system based on very limited resources.
In many cities as much as 35 to 40% of the land area is devoted to autos.

I could go on (and on) but in hindsight, I doubt the transportation decisions of the last half century will be viewed as good for our cities.
So sad,but true,especially the neighborhoods and trees destroyed for the covenience of drivers.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:14 AM

2,824 posts, read 3,349,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
So sad,but true,especially the neighborhoods and trees destroyed for the covenience of drivers.
??? As opposed to the "neighborhoods and trees destroyed" for transit riders?
If a taking occurs the affected property owners are compensated in both cases.
There is no standing for a "neighborhood" nor those claiming "collective rights" to complain.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
??? As opposed to the "neighborhoods and trees destroyed" for transit riders?
If a taking occurs the affected property owners are compensated in both cases.
There is no standing for a "neighborhood" nor those claiming "collective rights" to complain.
Highways/Freeways have taken far,far more land than mass transit has,and come on everyone knows affected property owners are not compensated all that well for being 'FORCED' out of their homes,and 'Eminent Domain' should not even exist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or