U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,858,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
In Pittsburgh the reason is generally "because I work downtown".

Downtown Pittsburgh is a relatively small triangle of land, hemmed in between the three rivers
and many hills. It contains many tall skyscrapers, and an extremely limited amount of parking.
The parking that is available is quite expensive (a combination of scarcity and extreme taxes imposed
to pay off pension obligations to city workers). As an average office worker it is most likely cost-prohibitive
for you to drive there and park every day. People either ride public transit, or if they live farther out, drive
to a park-and-ride lot and finish the journey into town that way.

The transit system, having it's own issues with over-extended pensions and poor management, maintains
a very inconvenient schedule, which makes most people dread using it. Rush hour cars on the local light rail system are typically packed like sardine cans.

The predictable result being an outflow of office jobs to new suburban office parks that offer acres of free parking.
Similar for Chicago. Parking downtown is expensive as well as traffic so most people use transit if working downtown. Work elsewhere in the city and this does not hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,858,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I think he might have been referring to paved roads. I know Portland still had lots of dirt roads in the early 1900s.

Nah it was simply lack of autos. There were roads and Chicago had paved streets for bicyclist. It is just that until the invention of the auto trains and trolleys were the best way to travel in terms of speed and cost and horses are of limited use to people who live in cities because they cost so much and need to be feed/housed/taken care of. For the most part if you lived in an city you would not own an horse but if you lived on an farm you would. Once people can get their own cars use of public transit plummets and people start living farther from work.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:13 PM

12,295 posts, read 15,190,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Similar for Chicago. Parking downtown is expensive as well as traffic so most people use transit if working downtown. Work elsewhere in the city and this does not hold.
You'd be surprised at how many use Metra to get from one suburb to another. While no parking charges apply, the expressway system is not as well developed as you get further out. It can easily take an hour to get from Fox Lake to Lake Forest, which makes a 20 minute train ride look pretty good.

Someone mentioned horses in the old days. Considering that manure and sometimes dead horses piled up in the city streets, we can be glad we are not going back to that mode.

Last edited by pvande55; 07-04-2014 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Add horse notes

Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
You'd be surprised at how many use Metra to get from one suburb to another. While no parking charges apply, the expressway system is not as well developed as you get further out. It can easily take an hour to get from Fox Lake to Lake Forest, which makes a 20 minute train ride look pretty good.

Someone mentioned horses in the old days. Considering that manure and sometimes dead horses piled up in the city streets, we can be glad we are not going back to that mode.
Whenever I walk through Central Park in Manhattan, I am thankful we no longer use horses for transportation. The amount of manure you have to dodge is horrible and when it is hot out, that is basically a cooking pile of poo.

I misread your post at first, I was gonna say I am not surprised how many people use Metra, but then I noticed you said from suburb to suburb. That is an interesting point that I am actually surprised about.

I don't know much about Metra, but from what I can see it seems like a good example on how to build a suburban rail system. A number of the stations either have little urban centers or the ability to build urban centers around them.

Chicago has always seems like the correct way to build a large American city, granted they had plenty of prairie land to build the city on. It is definitely in my top three favorite cities in the US.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:43 AM

35 posts, read 30,471 times
I use transit for several reasons. The first is that I dislike the task of driving very much, and have no desire to do it with any sort of frequency. I don't even have a license. The second is that my school offers free public transit passes. Much better than paying for driving lessons, then paying for a car, then paying for gas and insurance. I also like having a relaxing commute where I can kick back and read or browse the internet, and I never have to deal with community college parking.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,158,942 times
Because of Tolls, parking, and traffic, Its more feasible to use transit while going to NYC or Philly.

Otherwise, one must drive here to go places. Even though the traffic can get very annoying, there is really not much of an option to my town .

Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM

2,824 posts, read 3,349,202 times
excerpt -
The Associated Press
MOSCOW —
A subway train derailed Tuesday deep below Moscow's streets, twisting and mangling crowded rail cars at the height of the morning rush hour. At least 21 people were killed, Russian officials said, and 136 more were hospitalized, many with serious injuries.

Rush-hour Moscow subway derails: 21 dead, 136 hurt | www.statesman.com

Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM

4,894 posts, read 7,655,626 times
Tragic.

Seems off-topic for this thread, though.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,349,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Tragic.

Seems off-topic for this thread, though.
Perhaps you would prefer the thread "why people don't use transit"?
Seems to me you don't have much of an analysis for the "why they do" unless you also consider the "why they don't"

Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
excerpt -
The Associated Press
MOSCOW
A subway train derailed Tuesday deep below Moscow's streets, twisting and mangling crowded rail cars at the height of the morning rush hour. At least 21 people were killed, Russian officials said, and 136 more were hospitalized, many with serious injuries.

Rush-hour Moscow subway derails: 21 dead, 136 hurt | www.statesman.com
Terrible train accident, but it doesn't have anything to do with this thread if you are trying to use it as a reason why people don't use transit....I could easily argue your point with fatal car accidents. 80 people die each day from vehicle accidents.

So in one day, 21 dead in a train accident in Moscow, 80 people dead from vehicle accidents in the US the same day. Looks like trains are still safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or