U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2014, 06:25 AM
 
2,828 posts, read 3,368,078 times
Reputation: 3037

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No one is saying transit is a "fairy tale people mover solution." That is only you who keeps doing that. Should we post every traffic accident that causes delays everyday to point out that cars aren't some "magic carpet of wonder and dreams?"
I'll take your failure to provide support for your claim that "You seem to always suggest that transit is dangerous" as a tacit admission that your statement was knowingly false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Interesting thought that can't be backed up. I took transit today and everything went smoothly, I caught every train on time. As a matter of fact, every morning I catch the same trains every day and arrive at my destination at the exact same time every day. Only once in a great while is there a signal problem for one of the trains that causes me to have a 5-10 minute delay. Those that do a similar commute by car regularly sees delays for various reasons that last longer lengths of time that causes them to get to their destination at various times due to the uncertainty of the traffic flow.
Good for you. However those commuting by car probably don't want to live like hamsters and transit may not even be an option for them. Your empirical evidence is location-specific and I'll assume you haven't yet moved back to Portland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Also, you are assuming anyone who is pro-transit is somehow an anti-car zealot which would make you wrong. I have nothing wrong with commuting by car, I own a car, and I use that car for various things that is easier to do by car than transit. But when it comes to commuting to and from work, transit wins almost every time.
I didn't assume that anyone who was pro-transit was anti-car. I identified two groups of posters (membership is not mutually exclusive). If they were one and the same I wouldn't have needed to list two groups. As to you specifically, however, you have a number of posts indicating an anti-car agenda usually with fuzzy language making reference to "disrupting urban fabric" and such nonsense.

Transit fails every time for those that have to pay for it but who will never be served by it. Transit will never work for all of those outside of the transit-available area but who work within transit destination areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So I might as well say, I get annoyed with anti-transit zealots who think that transit is some dangerous, unreliable form of transportation that could never be an alternative to driving.
Get annoyed all you want. Not sure what group of individuals that identifies. Transit-dependent folks will always vote for the continued involuntary financial support by transit-independent and transit-unserved folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2014, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,652,184 times
Reputation: 7831
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
I'll take your failure to provide support for your claim that "You seem to always suggest that transit is dangerous" as a tacit admission that your statement was knowingly false.



Good for you. However those commuting by car probably don't want to live like hamsters and transit may not even be an option for them. Your empirical evidence is location-specific and I'll assume you haven't yet moved back to Portland.



I didn't assume that anyone who was pro-transit was anti-car. I identified two groups of posters (membership is not mutually exclusive). If they were one and the same I wouldn't have needed to list two groups. As to you specifically, however, you have a number of posts indicating an anti-car agenda usually with fuzzy language making reference to "disrupting urban fabric" and such nonsense.

Transit fails every time for those that have to pay for it but who will never be served by it. Transit will never work for all of those outside of the transit-available area but who work within transit destination areas.


Get annoyed all you want. Not sure what group of individuals that identifies. Transit-dependent folks will always vote for the continued involuntary financial support by transit-independent and transit-unserved folks.
I'm done, you be all anti-transit that you want. Clearly you think traffic is a myth and commuting by car is the only way to go.

And I move back to Portland at the end of the month.

Also, i am still waiting for you to prove transit receives more delays than commuting by car. One accident in Russia isn't proof, it is just a strawman argument on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 AM
 
2,828 posts, read 3,368,078 times
Reputation: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I'm done, you be all anti-transit that you want. Clearly you think traffic is a myth and commuting by car is the only way to go.
Keep making it up as you go. Your deductive reasoning skills need sharpening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And I move back to Portland at the end of the month.
Great. Then you can stop complaining. Plus you can ride your choo-choo train on your way to work wherever and whatever that might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Also, i am still waiting for you to prove transit receives more delays than commuting by car. One accident in Russia isn't proof, it is just a strawman argument on your part.
Why would I waste time seeking to prove statements that I didn't make in the first place? The Russian accident wasn't intended as "proof of a delay" - although there is no doubt that those killed will never arrive and the accident also prevents subsequently scheduled transit using the same tracks from being on time. The accident in Russia was posted to illustrate that transit isn't the fairytale solution that transit proponents seem to believe PT is. Transit doesn't meet the functional needs of the majority of the population and doesn't even serve them to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top