U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 12:33 AM

4,832 posts, read 10,893,639 times

Advertisements

I know compared to Canada and Australia that we have much more sprawl. Compared to Australia, it seems we have more small towns.

Canada and Australia seem to have more healthy main streets. Australia and Canada seem to have an absence, or lack of big box centers.

Canada seems to have some big box centers, but not at the level of the USA has.

Also, markets in Canada and Australia seem to be much more like our Whole Foods. Eating out and a lot of frozen food is not common in Canada and Australia from what I have heard.

I'd be interested to hear if Europe and France is similar....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,955,202 times
I've lived in two of these countries and travelled extensively in all of them so I'll have a crack at it . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I know compared to Canada and Australia that we have much more sprawl. Compared to Australia, it seems we have more small towns.
I don't find this to be true. In Australia at least they don't have the same level of exurban, large lot development that you'd find in the US but Brisbane in its densest post codes doesn't top 8,000 p/sm and that only lasts for a 1 mile radius of downtown where it quickly fades to a more typical suburban pattern of 2,000 p/sm . . . and keeps going like that for about an hour in either direction.

Sydney and Melbourne are mostly the same except that they're bigger cities so their denser cores are larger but they still sprawl just the same once you get outside of that.

Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton are mostly the same. Their suburbs might be a little more dense (similar to Southern California in that regard) but they're still just as auto dependent.

While things have changed in the last 20-30 years this wasn't really by design. Australia and Canada have completely different histories of land tenure from the US and while US suburbs and exurbs have been growing since the 1840s those processes didn't take off in those other countries until later. .

Quote:
Canada and Australia seem to have more healthy main streets. Australia and Canada seem to have an absence, or lack of big box centers.
I think this really depends on which towns you're comparing - it doesn't really work on a national level. Big box is just as much a scourge in Canada and almost as much in Australia. The important difference I think is that their retail sectors aren't as overbuilt as they were in the US.

Quote:
Also, markets in Canada and Australia seem to be much more like our Whole Foods. Eating out and a lot of frozen food is not common in Canada and Australia from what I have heard.
I can't really speak to Canada much but this is absolutely not true in Australia. The brands are different (mostly) but the products are almost identical. There's nothing resembling a Whole Foods or Earth Fare in Australia.

[quote[I'd be interested to hear if Europe and France is similar....[/quote]

"Europe" is vague and quite varied to really be able to sum up succinctly in this space.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:51 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

The main streets in the largest cities in both Canada and Australia are quite healthy it is true.

As for smaller cities and towns in general you will find main streets in Australia are a lot healthier than in Canada (with some exceptions).

Also suburbs in Australia tend to have their own main streets with lots of shopping. This is not so much the case in Canadian suburbs where (save for some exceptions) the main street in suburbs is usually a wide car-centric boulevard lined with strip malls with oceans of parking at the front. This is not so much the case in Australia.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,955,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Also suburbs in Australia tend to have their own main streets with lots of shopping. This is not so much the case in Canadian suburbs where (save for some exceptions) the main street in suburbs is usually a wide car-centric boulevard lined with strip malls with oceans of parking at the front. This is not so much the case in Australia.
If you're in Australian suburbs built before WWII you'll see the strips of low slung shops along a "main" street not unlike what you'd see in some places in CA suburbs.

Palo Alto, CA -
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@37.4...2xawpIXgsQ!2e0

Stones Corner, Brisbane, QLD
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...02a35af3de84c0

but once you get outside of the pre-war suburbs it's all sprawl in Oz
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-27....czGP9gVa1g!2e0

Which is really shocking because gas is around $6/gallon here . . . but then again home prices way out in the 'burbs are a good deal less than closer to the city - because people expect to be making up for the savings in transportation costs.

Australians are also still really into malls, which is so very 80s of them, but true. Westfield is the big owner of most of the larger 'shopping centres' and, AFAIK, they also own a few in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or