Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Eastern PA is much older, the towns are older and laid out differently, e.g. with town squares. The east is separated from the west by a mountain range. The west is more Midwestern looking, more grids (though Philly has a grid).
Portland and Seattle both have town squares in their downtown, not the kind you would find in Europe, but then again those squares were built long before cars ever existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Portland and Seattle both have town squares in their downtown, not the kind you would find in Europe, but then again those squares were built long before cars ever existed.
Denver has

Civic Center Park, which functions as a timeshare doublespeak, but the eastern towns have actual squares. I'll post some pictures when I'm not on my kindle.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Denver has

Civic Center Park, which functions as a timeshare doublespeak, but the eastern towns have actual squares. I'll post some pictures when I'm not on my kindle.
Here's Portland. Brick square:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=pione...0,4.02&start=0

Seems more like a true square than most out here. Union Square in Manhattan is a bit more like a small park, though mostly brick surface:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Union...,-1.46&start=0

Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Please do when you get the chance because I am not sure I understand what you are saying, I have seen town squares on the east coast and they look similar to what can be found on the west coast.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bloo...w=1760&bih=856

https://foursquare.com/v/chambersbur...e028944/photos

Greencastle and Waynesboro have town squares, too, but I can't find any decent pictures.

I was saying these squares are not like Civic Center Park.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Default Town Squares

Quote:
I'm ending this hijack. You don't understand; you don't want to understand; you just want to make fun of the fountains. ..... I bet Bloomsburg and Chambersburg .....
I am not sure what it going on at your end, but that is not what I am doing at all. Not once have I made fun of Bloomburg or Chambersburg, I thought both of them looked like really cute little towns, but what you were pointing out as a town square isn't what one would call a town square. If you want to see what a town square should look like.

It should look like this.

Home - Jennifer Houze Photography

This is a town square in Prague, notice how it is people using the space around the fountain and statue rather than cars. That is because it is a place for people to gather. Places like this town square is what Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square was built after.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 AM

Default Town Squares

An off topic conversation made me wonder what everyone's definition of what a town square is and the benefits they can have for cities. And to open up the topic even more, is the idea of a town square something that can also be applied to suburban areas in the us? Also, to broaden the topic even more, are there town squares in the US and other countries that you like, and is there downtowns in the US that could add a town square to their city and where should it be?

For me, I have always been impressed with Pioneer Courthouse Square in Portland, it has earned the name as Portland's Living Room. I have been to festivals that have happened on it, movies, sports matches of the big screen, or just sitting and people watching while enjoying a sunny day. The model Portland used is a reflection of what is used in European cities.

This is a town square in Prague, notice how it is people using the space around the fountain and statue rather than cars.

This I Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Eweh and UGH! Too much concrete and barrenness for my tastes. I prefer grass and parks. Who wants to gather in what looks like an parking lot.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
Quote:
I am not sure what it going on at your end, but that is not what I am doing at all. Not once have I made fun of Bloomburg or Chambersburg, I thought both of them looked like really cute little towns, but what you were pointing out as a town square isn't what one would call a town square. If you want to see what a town square should look like.

It should look like this.

This is a town square in Prague, notice how it is people using the space around the fountain and statue rather than cars. That is because it is a place for people to gather. Places like this town square is what Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square was built after.
So if it looks like a giant parking lot but isn't then it doesn't "disrupt the urban fabric", but if it looks like a giant parking lot and is then it "disrupts the urban fabric". A bit hypocritical?

A "town square" need not be a large unused space in the middle of town. Plenty of other town squares are based around a central amenity (e.g., courthouse) with other commercial enterprises surrounding them. They also have ROADS going around them so that people can get there from where they live and so the businesses there can ship and receive.

This continued focus on a "place for people to gather" sounds like something out of a bad sci-fi movie. Self-proclaimed planners seem to think that people are herd animals except for the planners who know best for the rest of us. The common thread among your posts is cramming people together whether it's by transit, housing density, or other means. Gotta tell you that most people do not share your desire to live like hamsters.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Eweh and UGH! Too much concrete and barrenness for my tastes. I prefer grass and parks. Who wants to gather in what looks like an parking lot.
That is called a town square, what you are wanting is called a "park." Town Squares and Parks are not the same thing. And to answer your question, lots of people gather in this places which do not look like parking lots, or at least the one in Portland does not look like a parking lot.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
That is called a town square, what you are wanting is called a "park." Town Squares and Parks are not the same thing. And to answer your question, lots of people gather in this places which do not look like parking lots, or at least the one in Portland does not look like a parking lot.
I guess. Too much an Chicagoan.

I like:
Grant Park (Chicago) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grass, trees and plants and things. Green space. Those lack that and without that they look like almost any other piece of concrete in an concrete city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning