Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,971 times

Advertisements

I know obviously there's public transit like streetcars that were once popular in many American cities but declined in popularity after the rise of the automobile age. And also there are places like New York city and San Francisco that simply maintained popularity of public transit and didn't really lose it.

I'm wondering if there are any cases where it's actually public transit becoming more popular or more used (rather than being popular from the start, early on its town or city's history)

I'm more interested for this question of examples of the rise of or increase in support for and desire for public transit where it was not popular before (or stopped becoming popular and then became so again), rather than just being popular all along.

Any examples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Vancouver has had a large increase in transit share. It never had as low transit use as many newer American cities, but it has become more popular. DC might be a possible American contender.

Quick Note: Vancouver’s Transit Revival | Pedestrian Observations

Some European cities may have seen a revival, though of course transit use never reached as low levels.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Vancouver has had a large increase in transit share. It never had as low transit use as many newer American cities, but it has become more popular. DC might be a possible American contender.

Some European cities may have seen a revival, though of course transit use never reached as low levels.
Oh, right, I remember when DC still had a reputation for high crime, many people didn't really seem as keen on using public transit. I haven't gone to DC to visit the city since the 90s and I was young then so I can't say I have as strong of an impression of it but there's definitely the trend of so-called "gentrifying" cities having a rise in public transit popularity.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Oh, right, I remember when DC still had a reputation for high crime, many people didn't really seem as keen on using public transit. I haven't gone to DC since the 90s and I was young so I can't say I have as strong of an impression of it but there's definitely the trend of so-called "gentrifying" cities having a rise in public transit popularity.
I was thinking more of having a new, extensively used subway system and maybe some TOD. Both of which encourage some to shift to transit, rather than just prevent existing transit riders from switching out.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more of having a new, extensively used subway system and maybe some TOD. Both of which encourage some to shift to transit, rather than just prevent existing transit riders from switching out.
That makes sense. Gentrifying probably doesn't increase public transit use but just makes rich transit users replace poor transit users. I guess in general, wherever you see TOD where there wasn't much before, that probably means transit is becoming more popular (though I wonder about the causality: perhaps TOD attracts more people to take transit because you can go and shop or see things that pop up along or around station stops more, or perhaps a cultural trend or shift in the acceptability of transit to begin with allows the new shops and things to grow).

Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Smart phones could be another reason for renewed interest in public transit because it makes navigating public transit easier. Google maps now informs you what buses to take, and several apps inform bus times.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
The development and "yuppification" of downtown Miami, Brickell, Midtown, and the Biscayne corridor, expansion of Metrorail ["almost"] to the airport with improved frequency, new options like Miami Trolley, Zipcar, and Car2go, coupled with increasing traffic congestion, has definitely made living in the city and using public transportation more popular. 10-20 years ago, it was largely just for the poor, a few students (mostly the poor ones), and a few downtown commuters who park and ride at the train station, but nobody really moved specifically to use the public transportation back then. We still only have GPS bus tracking on one city bus route, though...having it on all busses, so at least you know when the bus is late or not coming at all (which is, unfortunately, often the case...), would make the system infinitely more useful. It's really remarkable how many people who could afford to drive choose to use the unreliable and inadequate system that we currently have in place!

Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,924 times
Quote:

Maybe the increase is why Vancouver's Skytrain is switching from the honor system to turnstiles. I made an effort to ride it the last time I was in Vancouver, and IMO, the stations and trains need a makeover, but really effective since the trains go to all the right places.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Maybe the increase is why Vancouver's Skytrain is switching from the honor system to turnstiles. I made an effort to ride it the last time I was in Vancouver, and IMO, the stations and trains need a makeover, but really effective since the trains go to all the right places.
I was really impressed with the Vancouver Skytrain, though I felt it should go out to the west end near Stanley Park, instead of doing the loop-back thing to connect at Waterfront station. Smaller, computer-automated trains at high service frequency is definitely the way to go. I wonder how ridership will be affected when they finally close those turnstiles, I suspect any hit they take will be temporary, considering all the new development going on.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I was really impressed with the Vancouver Skytrain, though I felt it should go out to the west end near Stanley Park, instead of doing the loop-back thing to connect at Waterfront station. Smaller, computer-automated trains at high service frequency is definitely the way to go. I wonder how ridership will be affected when they finally close those turnstiles, I suspect any hit they take will be temporary, considering all the new development going on.
They've missed the biggest corridor: West Broadway out to UBC, which currently has as many bus riders (110,000) as a skytrain line but in a shorter distance. Going one more stop the West End sounds like a good idea, but for those going from just the West End to Downtown buses might work better than Sktrain, as buses can have closer stops which has more of an advantage for short distances. The West End isn't on the way to anything for the skytrain, so it might not be worth it.

Next Vancouver line under construction:

SkyTrain Evergreen Line moving full forward for 2016 arrival

And the UBC line:

SPECIAL FEATURE: UBC-Broadway subway needs to be top regional priority

The latter will get much of its ridership from people switching from buses to the subway, but it should attract some former drivers.

Also see the slideshow from the mayor's website:

Mayor of Vancouver » Blog Archive » A Subway for the Broadway Corridor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning