Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:50 AM

8,817 posts, read 6,148,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I don't think so. Telecommuting hasn't taken off in the way people predicted it would in movies like Back to the Future. Some people do it but for the most part it hasn't happened.
I think the eventual die off of the baby boomer generation will change the apprehension surrounding telecommuting. In my personal experience older people (born pre-1970) seem to have more hangups with telecommuting and flexible scheduling.

The infrastructure is in place now for most non-customer facing 'office work' to be completed remotely. Now we are left with the hard part, changing human attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,014,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I worked for one company that just had to be located in downtown Boston. None of the work required being in Boston versus a suburb. It was basically for shallow reasons, the company leadership believed being located in Boston proper gave them more prestige than being located in a suburb of Boston.
Did the owners live in Boston or in the suburbs?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:13 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Quote:
I think the eventual die off of the baby boomer generation will change the apprehension surrounding telecommuting. In my personal experience older people (born pre-1970) seem to have more hangups with telecommuting and flexible scheduling.

The infrastructure is in place now for most non-customer facing 'office work' to be completed remotely. Now we are left with the hard part, changing human attitudes.
Yeah, us old coots! I don't know what in the h*ll you're talking about! Born pre-1970? For God's sake, that's a large part of the workforce. Someone born in 1969 still has 22 years left to work, to collect full retirement. Memph, above, a college student said he likes to study in a group. While my spouse fits into your old coot category, he did find telecommuting awkward at times. Plus, there's such a thing as face time with your co-workers, which was one of Marissa Meyer's issues. I don't know anyone who's opposed to flexible scheduling. And for the record, DH still does some work from home, he just found he couldn't do all of it from home.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-19-2014 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: math error

Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Did the owners live in Boston or in the suburbs?
It was publicly traded and the two CEOs in power during my tenure both lived in the suburbs.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,014,376 times
Quote:
It was publicly traded and the two CEOs in power during my tenure both lived in the suburbs.
Ah, okay. Owners living in the city is often times a reason for opening a business in the city. Sounds like they preferred the prestige of being in Boston than they did being in the suburb of Boston.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, us old coots! I don't know what in the h*ll you're talking about! Born pre-1970? For God's sake, that's a large part of the workforce. Someone born in 1969 still has 27 years left to work, to collect full retirement. Memph, above, a college student said he likes to study in a group. While my spouse fits into your old coot category, he did find telecommuting awkward at times. Plus, there's such a thing as face time with your co-workers, which was one of Marissa Meyer's issues. I don't know anyone who's opposed to flexible scheduling. And for the record, DH still does some work from home, he just found he couldn't do all of it from home.
I wouldn't want to do everything from home either but I guess I have just been very unlucky, in that two of my last three employers were dead set against allowing any work from home time whatsoever. For the record I work in back office functions with no client facing duties and my work products are primarily electronic documents. The recurring theme from those employers seemed to be very old fashioned management philosophies which were not shared by the younger and middle-aged staff.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Ah, okay. Owners living in the city is often times a reason for opening a business in the city. Sounds like they preferred the prestige of being in Boston than they did being in the suburb of Boston.
What you say makes sense. My two subsequent employers were privately held in the suburbs and the offices were located within one or two towns distance from the owner's residence.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:34 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
I worked for a virtual company, mostly from home for three years. Only about 10 of my coworkers were local. I went stir crazy.

OP your premise is a little off. First the per capita environmental effect is lowr in cities, since things are concentrated. Housing affordability in cities is mostly about zoning and local policy, not size. If it was only size then LA's metro would be moe expensive than San Francisco's. Condos in downtown Oakland are 10% cheaper than downtown LA. Maybe.

In general we aren't building the type of housing required for current trends: home for multigenerational families, homes for childless singles and couples, family sized homes in walkable communities. This drives up the price for people looking for those amenities.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:03 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,735,587 times
There are many small cities located throughout America that are ripe for a 21st-Century lifestyle. Many have excellent walkable downtowns with interesting storefronts and architecture. Mixed use and warehouse space could be reclaimed and repurposed by upgrading it with energy-efficient building products, utilizing solar, geothermal and other green technologies as well as incorporating rooftop living and garden spaces. Community gardens, walking and bike trails, and interesting greenscapes can be used to promote a low-carbon lifestyle and an opportunity for local organic sustainable sourcing. Restaurants and markets selling a variety of fresh healthy foods along with small venue arts and entertainment options could help to create a very desirable micro community.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:33 PM

92,146 posts, read 122,387,927 times
I personally think that college towns may be ahead of the game in this regard due to already having the market for the things mentioned in the post above. There are other cities that have it to some degree, but have parts of the city that need improvement and are just waiting for revitalization.

Also, I'd say that cities in the Interior Northeast, Midwest and select Southern and Western cities, in the 50-500,000 fits this the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning