U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 12:30 AM

56,587 posts, read 80,870,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
Yeah, #1 and #3 are pretty awful but I kinda like Liverpool, NY. Reminds me of Steveston in British Columbia (where "Once Upon a Time" shoots all their Storybrooke scenes). Although things may be farther apart, it seems the pleasantness of the walk would make up for that.
Yes, it is a nice village and has a nice, big park by the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 01:02 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,514,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You are exactly right. I am moving to a Cleveland suburb, Cleveland Heights, to a bustling neighborhood that has a supermarket, bus service, restaurants, a bookstore, little ma and pa shops, lots of grass and trees and everything my city neighborhood in Portland OR where I live now has to offer. People who lump all suburbs into one mold are obviously not educated in urban planning which also includes the various suburban areas that surround urban areas.
I would consider Hawthorne to be more of an inner city neighborhood, or a streetcar suburb neighborhood over suburbs typically found outside of the inner city.

Again, if suburbs were designed like Hawthorne, we wouldn't be talking about the problems with suburbs.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 AM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
i would consider hawthorne to be more of an inner city neighborhood, or a streetcar suburb neighborhood over suburbs typically found outside of the inner city.

Again, if suburbs were designed like hawthorne, we wouldn't be talking about the problems with suburbs.
All suburbs are different! I don't understand why "we" consider suburbs a "problem".

Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
All suburbs are different! I don't understand why "we" consider suburbs a "problem".
And most suburbs are not designed to be walkable because zoning is often times segregated, and cul-de-sacs make it difficult to walk to places efficiently.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
And most suburbs are not designed to be walkable because zoning is often times segregated, and cul-de-sacs make it difficult to walk to places efficiently.
"Most"? Document. Cities have zoning too. "Mixed use" is within parameters.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"Most"? Document. Cities have zoning too. "Mixed use" is within parameters.
Yes, and suburbs tend to do segregated zoning and cul-de-sac developments.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Quote:
LMAO, cities have zoning, too. In my Cincinnati neighborhood, I was prohibited from setting up a chiropractor's office, opening a coffee shop or car repair shop, or dividing my house into apartments.

Oh, and cul-de-sacs open up onto other streets. I'm capable of walking to the end of the cul-de-sac and continuing on my merry way.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Again, please stay on the thread topic. We don't need another city vs suburbs argument.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LMAO, cities have zoning, too. In my Cincinnati neighborhood, I was prohibited from setting up a chiropractor's office, opening a coffee shop or car repair shop, or dividing my house into apartments.

Oh, and cul-de-sacs open up onto other streets. I'm capable of walking to the end of the cul-de-sac and continuing on my merry way.
Exactly! Denver, the city, has many rules about what can be built where. One time, a developer wanted to build some condos on an old amusement park site. When the neighbors objected to the rezoning request, he threatened to build a video arcade, which was permitted w/o a zoning change. (The condos got built.)

And yes, cul-de-sacs open out onto another street. If you don't live on the cul, you don't have to walk up it to get somewhere else, by very definition!

Old 05-03-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Yes, cities have zoning too, and a number of cities suffer from segregated zoning as well which makes destinations one would go to out of the walking distance one would do on a regular basis.

Cul-de-sacs create much bigger problems due to their lack of connectivity. Yes, they are connected on one side, but what if you need to go the other direction and there is no cut through for pedestrians? What if the most efficient way to get to some place would be cutting down a cul-de-sac, but due to the lack of a pedestrian cut through, you have to take the long way around which doubles the length of your trip and making it no longer efficient?

I ask these questions because this is the type of suburbs I grew up in, and they are the type of suburbs I have seen across this country. Had we still built suburbs like we did during the streetcar suburb era, we would have much better walking neighborhoods, and you would be able to increase the density of your home and add a business (which sounds like Cincinnati might have regressive zoning laws.)

Last edited by nei; 05-03-2014 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: never mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or