U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 04:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,037,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nor does everyone need multiple destinations when walking.
As was said earlier, it's more efficient to go to multiple destinations in one trip than several separate ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 04:55 PM

32,414 posts, read 59,910,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As was said earlier, it's more efficient to go to multiple destinations in one trip than several separate ones.
Of course it's more efficient, but how practical is that on a day to day basis if you're on foot? If we're talking running daily living errands as opposed to chassez-ing off to a hipster locavore cafe and then stopping at the nearby coffee shop for a latte and a chat with the uber cool locals on the way home ....

(sorry about the hipster poke ... can't help myself sometimes)

Thinking about the errands I ran today on the way home from an appointment ... Bank, grocery store, butcher shop, pet store, discount store. All but the pet shop are within walking distance of my house, but my purchases required two trips from the car to the house. Not stuff I'd be wanting to carry for three or four blocks.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:21 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,269,945 times
Quote:
Why would that make the Financial District unwalkable? This is just on the edge of the financial district, looks like not everyone is walking there to their office:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Nassa...202.25,,0,0.87
It might be better to say that it lacks walk appeal, not that it isn't walkable, which I think is true of financial districts in general not just New Yorks. But I guess that's okay for a financial district where you don't need a lot of stunning architecture.

Quote:
While the architecture isn't exactly stunning, I don't think it's not that bad, either just ok for a downtown. While there's obviously parking around, I doubt it's ample enough that it's worth driving and reparking a short distance, most would find it easier to walk to get to stores / offices once they parked their car (or took transit). Skimming the city, this street nearby gives off a feeling being less than pedestrian friendly:

In other words, you're saying its ugly.
It's certainly not the ideal kind of architecture for attracting a lot of pedestrians.

If you wouldn't want to take a picture of it, it's ugly.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,735,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Judging by the number of cars and lack of pedestrians here, this is a place where people are driving to, not walking to. Not surprising since it's just a back alley. There's nothing about it that makes people want to go for a stroll or want to hang out on that street. It's just a place to park your car.
I'd go for a stroll around there, i'm not gonna go search but i'm sure you can find some very vibrant areas in that city... but German culture is probably less car dominated so the Germans probably aren't picky about random things like Americans are.

Quote:
That's a pretty contradictory statement isn't it?
Why would you care about how the cars look but not the buildings?
I honestly don't care that much about how either look, i'd acknowledge the unusual cars or an ugly building but it won't make me avoid an area.

Quote:
Same with buildings. People prefer nice-looking buildings. Though the way the buildings look are probably more important from the perspective and speed of the pedestrian. At the speed and perspective of a driver, it doesn't matter. The uglier the buildings on the street, the faster you probably want to drive to get past it as quickly as possible, so you don't have to look at it for too long. Which explains why you say you care only about how the cars look (you're a driver). It's human nature. Humans are very visual. The visual appearance of our environment has a psychological effect on us whether we're conscious of it or not.
I actually just pointed it out because i find those cars pretty unusual.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:03 PM

87,028 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Yeah, in a car! The only way you can do that on foot is if they're really close.

Don't forget the fire jugglers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ywiNAB5rTs

Old 09-30-2014, 09:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, in a car! The only way you can do that on foot is if they're really close.
Eh? I do that often.

It still would be more efficient to several trips at once, foot or by car, only thing changing is average speed. A town center would normally have enough shops close together. Walking to the town center twice would be less efficient.

This blogger groups by cars and pedestrians as being trip chaining modes.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Lets use Louisville, CO for our example seeing it gets brought up often and is small enough that it can be easily studied.

Louisville, CO has a walking score of 36 with much of it rating very low. The only area that are sort of walkable where people live is the area around the downtown.

Louisville Apartments for Rent and Louisville Rentals - Walk Score

Now a suburban town of 18K people should be easy to have it be a very walkable town. So what are the changes the town would need to make to better improve the walkability of the town?

**nei, if you want this could easily be its own thread to help talk about making a small suburban town more walkable.***
Eww Main street is too wide and the sidewalks are too narrow.

we have a similar town with the same problem.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...b98ecdead8e88f

it has nice old architecture but i just hate walking around there, too many hills, too much traffic, narrow sidewalks.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 PM

87,028 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Not following your logic. Still would be more efficient to several trips at once, only thing changing is average speed. A town center would normally have enough shops close together. Walking to the town center twice would be less efficient.
Depends on what you're doing/buying. See Ohiogirl81's post. Now if you're going to the bank, then the doctor, then the coffee shop or museum, that's a different story.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Eh? I do that often.

It still would be more efficient to several trips at once, foot or by car, only thing changing is average speed. A town center would normally have enough shops close together. Walking to the town center twice would be less efficient.

This blogger groups by cars and pedestrians as being trip chaining modes.
The most efficient life ever would be to live by a Wal Mart!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Depends on what you're doing/buying. See Ohiogirl81's post. Now if you're going to the bank, then the doctor, then the coffee shop or museum, that's a different story.
I don't buy bulky stuff (more than needed to fill a backpack and maybe a handbag or two often. Except for maybe supermarket trips, but I drive, sometimes bicycle there rather walk. Though, occasionally walk to a small grocery for a couple items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or