U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I. did. not. use. the word. "ban". Please check my previous posts.
not the same word but:

Quote:
Well, you social engineers may want to make it hard to park, but businesses want to make money. If their customers want parking, they should be allowed to put it in. Most pharmacies have their own parking lots, even in Denver.
not being allowed = banned. Or at least that's what I meant by ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 06:38 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
not the same word but:

not being allowed = banned. Or at least that's what I meant by ban.
For all the crap I get about making assumptions, reading stuff into posts that isn't there, this is hilarious! To repeat, I did not use the word "BAN". What do you think making parking a "PITA" as the other poster said means?

Old 10-01-2014, 06:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
For all the crap I get about making assumptions, reading stuff into posts that isn't there, this is hilarious! To repeat, I did not use the word "BAN". What do you think making parking a "PITA" as the other poster said means?
I thought should be allowed implied you thought wburg suggested businesses might not permitted to add parking. Otherwise, I can't understand what you were saying in that post, perhaps you could paraphrase? If businesses aren't allowed, isn't that a restriction or ban on parking?

Making parking a "PITA" could mean commercial construction without parking because the businesses choose not to include even if allowed. A different situation.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I thought should be allowed implied you thought wburg suggested businesses might not permitted to add parking. Otherwise, I can't understand what you were saying in that post, perhaps you could paraphrase? If businesses aren't allowed, isn't that a restriction or ban on parking?

Making parking a "PITA" could mean commercial construction without parking because the businesses choose not to include even if allowed. A different situation.
Oh, H*E*double hockey stick! I can't believe this is going on! I never said that anyone else said parking should be banned! I thought it was fairly clear that I meant businesses should be allowed to put in parking if desired. I don't know how much more clear that could be; I even posted an example of a business with a parking lot, in the heart of Denver. Not downtown, but near downtown.

Maybe wburg should tell us what HE meant! He's the one being vague. "PITA"?

Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I never said that anyone else said parking should be banned! I thought it was fairly clear that I meant businesses should be allowed to put in parking if desired.
It was perfectly clear, and I don't why you would say that unless you thought wburg said businesses shouldn't be allowed to put in parking if desired (or in other words, banning).

Old 10-01-2014, 07:21 PM

Here's a pharmacy with parking in Boston (not anywhere near downtown though):

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3132...fHMCpaqEng!2e0

Most of the other stores don't have parking though. Customers either live close by and walk, or park and then walk a bit. And it's dense there's a large number in walking distance.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
It was perfectly clear, and I don't why you would say that unless you thought wburg said businesses shouldn't be allowed to put in parking if desired (or in other words, banning).
Give me a break! I know damn well what burg said, and although I never used the "b" word, I don't know how you make parking in a business district a PITA w/o some restrictions on parking!

You know, I think I write a lot more clearly than many on this forum (not Ohiogirl81 b/c she has a journalism degree and used to be a reporter, many others) and you don't give them this kind of crap.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:55 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,538,049 times
Quote:
Give me a break! I know damn well what burg said, and although I never used the "b" word, I don't know how you make parking in a business district a PITA w/o some restrictions on parking!
Some restrictions on parking isn't the same as no parking. Most cities and towns have a zoning ordinance when it comes to parking and often times forces business owners to build too much parking. If this were reversed, we would see more businesses with just as much parking as they might need and easier to build in walkable communities where a business could attract costumers that come on foot, bike, and by car.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I've been civil in this conversation, it'd be nice you could be as well. As to the bolded, how? I already said so: if businesses choose not to build parking. Downtowns can be difficult in park even with parking allowed to be constructed.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:37 PM

^^I was attempting to respond to a post about "making" parking a PITA. This concept was expressed both by eschaton and wburg. This implies some intent by the municipality, IMO.

Boulder Co has had that as a goal for a long time, like at least 30 years. It hasn't worked. People always find a way around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or