U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 12:10 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,558,119 times

Advertisements

Businesses move in and out all the time and others take their place. If a business starts in a small downtown space and expands so much they have to move elsewhere, that's a good thing. If they realize they are the sort of business that has to have more parking and moves to a place more amenable to that transit mode, that's a good thing too--perhaps a business that doesn't consider parking such a priority can move into the vacancy they have created. One size does not fit all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 12:39 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,193,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Businesses move in and out all the time and others take their place. If a business starts in a small downtown space and expands so much they have to move elsewhere, that's a good thing. If they realize they are the sort of business that has to have more parking and moves to a place more amenable to that transit mode, that's a good thing too--perhaps a business that doesn't consider parking such a priority can move into the vacancy they have created. One size does not fit all!

Both the businesses mentioned as moving out of downtown Boulder had plenty of on-site private parking.

The local paper built its building when it was an independent paper, with rooms full of real journalists and big ass printing presses. Now it is owned by the same big corporation as the Denver Post and employees very few journalists or customer service people. The printing is contracted off site to a printer that handles much more than a small daily paper. The reality was that their downtown facility was way too big for current operations and they were sitting on prime downtown real estate that could be used for a much higher/better use. Also their building was on of the worst buildings on Pearl Street with a big parking lot on the street and the building set back 75 feet.

The local hospital is not downtown and did not share any parking issues with downtown.
They have a large surface lot plus a 4 story parking structure, plenty of parking for their current operations. But they were also unable to expand on their current site so 15 years ago they began development of a hospital campus on a much larger parcel in East Boulder. This move has been planned for quite some time. One consideration was for the old campus, emergency room access involved downtown traffic and stop lights. The new campus is better located for emergency access on the edge of town and within a block of two highways.

Much more to both situations than parking issues.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:45 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
That's kind of the point--the loss of the parking isn't as big of an inconvenience once it is actually done, once you make the trip outside the car-centric comfort zone and get over the idea that there has to be a parking space for each possible car in front of each possible place they might want to visit, people realize it's really not that big of a pain after all. It's kind of like encouraging people to quit smoking or better dietary choices. Promote healthy habits, discourage unhealthy ones.

I don't expect maximum pedestrian convenience everywhere. Part of the joy of a walkable neighborhood is the entertaining dance on the street--which consists almost entirely of people who are walking to another place that isn't immediately next door. And for certain uses, car-centric design and larger parking lots is of course called for. But I do expect more pedestrian convenience.
Well, inconveniencing people is a real good way to build business, not. And we must be entertained at cost by watching people. Good Grief! Do people really have nothing better to do with their time? Even now, but especially when I worked full time, I had enough to do without wasting a lot of time watching other people watch me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Boulder is very walkable partly because they have managed their parking really well.
Downtown there are three large structured parking lots paid for by a downtown improvement district, a very few public surface lots and street parking is managed for turnover. There is also good bus access from most of town. I also believe Boulder has the biggest Bike Share program in the country for a city of 100k.

I lived close enough to downtown for 30+ years that I did not need to find parking.
Most of the people I know that work downtown get bus passes or their employer provides parking.
Most locals know where to find parking even on Friday night, it seems to mostly be tourists that
complain about parking.
You obviously didn't read the angry letters to the Daily Camera about people getting parking tickets for going a few minutes over the two hour limit. Speaking of The Camera, they moved off Pearl Street, saying the site just didn't work for them any more. Couldn't be because reporters sometimes have to get somewhere ASAP! Boulder Community Hospital, now Boulder Community Health, is entering the final phase of its move from Broadway and Balsam this week. Of course, part of the charm of going to the hospital is for parking to be a PITA. So much fun in an emergency or even when you're just sick. You may not believe it but some businesses have moved elsewhere because of the parking situation. To say Boulder manages it's parking well is laughable. In fact my husband just now laughed when I asked him if he thought that and he works in Boulder. Of course, that's something a lot of people in Boulder don't do, so they don't care if it takes a half hour to find a parking spot at lunch!

Old 10-05-2014, 12:54 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,193,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You obviously didn't read the angry letters to the Daily Camera about people getting parking tickets for going a few minutes over the two hour limit. Speaking of The Camera, they moved off Pearl Street, saying the site just didn't work for them any more. Couldn't be because reporters sometimes have to get somewhere ASAP! Boulder Community Hospital, now Boulder Community Health, is entering the final phase of its move from Broadway and Balsam this week. Of course, part of the charm of going to the hospital is for parking to be a PITA. So much fun in an emergency or even when you're just sick. You may not believe it but some businesses have moved elsewhere because of the parking situation. To say Boulder manages it's parking well is laughable. In fact my husband just now laughed when I asked him if he thought that and he works in Boulder. Of course, that's something a lot of people in Boulder don't do, so they don't care if it takes a half hour to find a parking spot at lunch!

Why would I drive to lunch when I can walk?

I'll agree to disagree on this one.

People who drive to lunch and expect a parking space to be available to them at every stop they make probably think Boulder's parking is mismanaged.

People that appreciate great walkable places agree that Boulder is doing it right.

Can't please all the people all the time.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Much more to both situations than parking issues.
As I said! The parking situation was bad 15 years ago when the hospital started to transition. Boulder Medical Center also moved its pediatric and obviously offices to the new site years ago and I can assure you as a patient, parking was a huge issue there!

Two " highways" my, er, eye. Only in Boulder would Arapahoe Avenue and Foothills Parkway be considered " highways".

Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
No place with a built up sizable downtown is going to be anywhere nearly as convenient to park in as a suburban shopping center. You can fill the downtown with parking lots but at some point it won't be much of a downtown anymore. You need time limits on street parking spaces so that they'll be turnover for new visitors.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:

Two " highways" my, er, eye. Only in Boulder would Arapahoe Avenue and Foothills Parkway be considered " highways".
Definitely look like big arterials, highways might be a stretch.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...5ac3f3d81c64af

Old 10-05-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Well, inconveniencing people is a real good way to build business, not. And we must be entertained at cost by watching people. Good Grief! Do people really have nothing better to do with their time? Even now, but especially when I worked full time, I had enough to do without wasting a lot of time watching other people watch me.
Maybe not entertained, but a decent town should have people walking on the street, IMO. Otherwise it feels dead and bleak. I enjoy walking in town, passing by interesting shops and architecture seeing the people walking by. Having only a few strip malls nearby with just cars whizzing by isn't appealing, not a place I'd choose to live in if I could help it.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Why would I drive to lunch when I can walk?

I'll agree to disagree on this one.

People who drive to lunch and expect a parking space to be available to them at every stop they make probably think Boulder's parking is mismanaged.

People that appreciate great walkable places agree that Boulder is doing it right.

Can't please all the people all the time.
Maybe because you have one hour and you work too far from Pearl St to walk there and back in an hour, let alone eat lunch in addition. Say you work north of Arapahoe on 55 th St for instance.

Many people don't think Boulder is doing "it" "right". Boulder for all its self righteousness has at least as many registered cars as people.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe because you have one hour and you work too far from Pearl St to walk there and back in an hour, let alone eat lunch in addition. Say you work north of Arapahoe on 55 th St for instance.
does it really take half hour to park? I can find free parking in the Upper West Side of Manhattan faster than that. What about the public garages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or