U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Again, that sounds like a reasonable amount of walking / pace for a walkable area when getting around by foot. If you're walking for transportation, you're going to walk somewhat fast because you want to get somewhere.
You'd be surprised, when you keep track, just how much walking that entails. And it's not necessarily true that you're going to walk "reasonably fast".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2014, 03:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,985 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You'd be surprised, when you keep track, just how much walking that entails. And it's not necessarily true that you're going to walk "reasonably fast".
No, I think I have a good sense of how much 1.5 miles is. A 20 minute mile pace sounds average, spread out over a day that may be on the high side, but doesn't seem unusually so (3 1/2 mi trips). I rarely stroll leisurely to the bus stop myself. People who walk as an errand rather than leisure tend to walk faster.

Last edited by nei; 10-12-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33050
As I said, if you actually keep track, you'll find that it's pretty hard to log the time at "moderate intensity". I stand by what I've said. It's common knowledge in heath care that people exaggerate in their favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 03:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,985 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As I said, if you actually keep track, you'll find that it's pretty hard to log the time at "moderate intensity".
Why? If you're referring walking at 20 minutes / mile, yes I've kept track. I thought that was a standard pace, I've heard others use the same time estimate. Most people don't walk much for transportation, but if they did 30 minutes isn't that hard to reach.

5 minutes to the bus stop, at each end there and back is already 20 minutes total. Add in another trip or two and you reach 30 minutes.

Bringing up NYC, because yes, it's atypical but most are walking for transportation:

Obesity, Activity Levels and Street Design

This link came out to about 3 miles / day. 20 minutes / mile is a reasonable average speed there if anything many walk faster.

Last edited by nei; 10-12-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,060 posts, read 16,066,811 times
Reputation: 12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why? If you're referring walking at 20 minutes / mile, yes I've kept track. I thought that was a standard pace, I've heard others use the same time estimate. Most people don't walk much for transportation, but if they did 30 minutes isn't that hard to reach.

5 minutes to the bus stop, at each end there and back is already 20 minutes total. Add in another trip or two and you reach 30 minutes.

Bringing up NYC, because yes, it's atypical but most are walking for transportation:

Obesity, Activity Levels and Street Design

This link came out to about 3 miles / day. 20 minutes / mile is a reasonable average speed there if anything many walk faster.
Three miles an hour is about normal if you're purposely walking somewhere. For a lot of people, however, that's not going to be enough to qualify as exercise. I'd have to walk closer to 4.5 miles per hour, a little over 50% more than what I normally walk naturally. At that point it's much more natural to just go for a slow jog for me.

Even if I walked five hours for transportation, I would get zero minutes of moderately-strenuous exercise. I mean, better than sitting on your butt. But you could wash the dishes or do light house cleaning and get the same benefits. I'm usually around 12-20k steps per day though, so a couple five-mute jaunts to the bus stop mean very little in my overall activity.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-12-2014 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Reputation: 7830
I don't get this need for some people to try so hard to claim walking is somehow not good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33050
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why? If you're referring walking at 20 minutes / mile, yes I've kept track. I thought that was a standard pace, I've heard others use the same time estimate. Most people don't walk much for transportation, but if they did 30 minutes isn't that hard to reach.

5 minutes to the bus stop, at each end there and back is already 20 minutes total. Add in another trip or two and you reach 30 minutes.

Bringing up NYC, because yes, it's atypical but most are walking for transportation:

Obesity, Activity Levels and Street Design

This link came out to about 3 miles / day. 20 minutes / mile is a reasonable average speed there if anything many walk faster.
Your link, quoting an economist (and dredging up old threads, I'll add) did not convince me. It's been a long time since I've been to NYC, but I do not recall seeing anyone speedwalking there. You're thinking average speed (maybe) of a 30 year old. Older people walk more slowly. I don't see that in downtown Denver, either. (Yesterday, to answer you next question.) People out walking their dogs, which you see a lot around here, are just moseying along.

Truthfully, what other "trip or two" are you talking about? In post after post, thread after thread about walkability, people post about stopping someplace on the way to/from their work or bus stop, not going out of their way, or going somewhere later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Your link, quoting an economist (and dredging up old threads, I'll add) did not convince me. It's been a long time since I've been to NYC, but I do not recall seeing anyone speedwalking there. You're thinking average speed (maybe) of a 30 year old. Older people walk more slowly. I don't see that in downtown Denver, either. (Yesterday, to answer you next question.) People out walking their dogs, which you see a lot around here, are just moseying along.

Truthfully, what other "trip or two" are you talking about? In post after post, thread after thread about walkability, people post about stopping someplace on the way to/from their work or bus stop, not going out of their way, or going somewhere later on.
Many people in NYC walk at a much faster pace than most people walk because they always have somewhere to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 07:02 PM
 
2,941 posts, read 3,856,857 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Many people in NYC walk at a much faster pace than most people walk because they always have somewhere to be.
I live in an city and places with lots of transit also are places where you don't need to walk major distances due to the very things urbanist like small stores and lots of bus/train stops. Sure people speed walk about 2-3 blocks to work because the bus darn near drops you off at the door. Walking is great but most people even the low income type who don't have cars don't walk near enough to make a dent in weight gain. The more transit there is the less you need to walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I live in an city and places with lots of transit also are places where you don't need to walk major distances due to the very things urbanist like small stores and lots of bus/train stops. Sure people speed walk about 2-3 blocks to work because the bus darn near drops you off at the door. Walking is great but most people even the low income type who don't have cars don't walk near enough to make a dent in weight gain. The more transit there is the less you need to walk.
I depends on where you live, when I was visiting Chicago, I stayed in North Chicago and had a good distance I had to walk to catch the train. So each day we got in a good walk just in that distance alone.

Where I live, I easily spend about 30 minutes a day walking and about an hour or two biking to and from work and other places. Where I live helps me stay healthy.

No one here is saying you are gonna burn away the fat by walking, it is just a simple fact that walking is good for your health. The more you walk, the better it is.

In NYC I use to walk about 5-15 miles a day, especially on nice days because I would choose to walk everywhere rather than take transit. Bad weather days I rode more transit and walked less, but still walked about 5 miles those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top