U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,866,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I depends on where you live, when I was visiting Chicago, I stayed in North Chicago and had a good distance I had to walk to catch the train. So each day we got in a good walk just in that distance alone.

Where I live, I easily spend about 30 minutes a day walking and about an hour or two biking to and from work and other places. Where I live helps me stay healthy.

No one here is saying you are gonna burn away the fat by walking, it is just a simple fact that walking is good for your health. The more you walk, the better it is.

In NYC I use to walk about 5-15 miles a day, especially on nice days because I would choose to walk everywhere rather than take transit. Bad weather days I rode more transit and walked less, but still walked about 5 miles those days.
If you lived in North Chicago that is an burb of Chicago and not the city and there probably wouldn't be enough bus service to get to the train and the choice would be walk it or drive it. If you mean the north side of Chicago I rather doubt you had an good distance to walk to get to an train unless it was an metra.

5 miles isn't that much at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 PM

14,091 posts, read 16,121,723 times
Quote:
I don't get this need for some people to try so hard to claim walking is somehow not good for you.
Where'd anyone claim that other than you? Doing dishes is better than sitting on the bus stop bench eating Cheetos. Doing dishes and walking are not moderately-strenuous exercise for me is all. If you're in worse shape than I am and can get some of your exercise by walking, that's great. I can't so it's irrelevant to me whether I can walk to do my daily errands.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I depends on where you live, when I was visiting Chicago, I stayed in North Chicago and had a good distance I had to walk to catch the train. So each day we got in a good walk just in that distance alone.

Where I live, I easily spend about 30 minutes a day walking and about an hour or two biking to and from work and other places. Where I live helps me stay healthy.

No one here is saying you are gonna burn away the fat by walking, it is just a simple fact that walking is good for your health. The more you walk, the better it is.

In NYC I use to walk about 5-15 miles a day, especially on nice days because I would choose to walk everywhere rather than take transit. Bad weather days I rode more transit and walked less, but still walked about 5 miles those days.
So you walked a lot in North Chicago which has a Walk Score of 39, even lower than where I live.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:34 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
If you lived in North Chicago that is an burb of Chicago and not the city and there probably wouldn't be enough bus service to get to the train and the choice would be walk it or drive it. If you mean the north side of Chicago I rather doubt you had an good distance to walk to get to an train unless it was an metra.

5 miles isn't that much at all.
Northside Chicago, not North Chicago.

5 miles is about 10,000 steps, which most fitness apps considers that to the target number for a healthy day of walking, so while 5 miles isn't that much at all, it is a lot in the sense of healthy exercise a day.

I just measured out the distance we were walking each way to the train at the Fullerton stop, and it was a 0.6 mile walk that we were doing just to get to the train. So that would be 1.2 miles of walking just to get to and from the train, that doesn't include any walking one would do when they got to their destination.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So you walked a lot in North Chicago which has a Walk Score of 39, even lower than where I live.
Sorry, I meant to write Northside Chicago, not North Chicago. I have been to North Chicago. I would never walk anywhere there for good reason, the area is auto centric.

The Fullerton stop was the El stop that we used when we were staying on in Northside Chicago.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:36 PM

87,038 posts, read 102,742,261 times
Quote:

You sure have a lot of time on your hands if you can spend 2 1/2 hours commuting. Anyone who did that in a car would be excoriated on this forum.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Where'd anyone claim that other than you? Doing dishes is better than sitting on the bus stop bench eating Cheetos. Doing dishes and walking are not moderately-strenuous exercise for me is all. If you're in worse shape than I am and can get some of your exercise by walking, that's great. I can't so it's irrelevant to me whether I can walk to do my daily errands.
I am sorry, but you guys are the ones that keep trying to say walking isn't healthy or at least you guys are the ones that seem to want to argue with anyone that does say walking is healthy.

All you guys need to do is say that walking is a healthy thing to do in the day and move on rather than argue with anyone that is saying walking is healthy. Especially if you actually think walking is healthy, that just means you guys are arguing for the sake of arguing, which is annoying.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You sure have a lot of time on your hands if you can spend 2 1/2 hours commuting. Anyone who did that in a car would be excoriated on this forum.
Well I worked 8 hours today, and biked 30 minutes each way. That time I have on my hands is the down time I have before I need to make dinner. I don't spend 2 1/2 hours commuting.

Have you ever added up all the time you spend in a car driving to places in a day? You should give it a try, it would be in interesting experiment.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I am sorry, but you guys are the ones that keep trying to say walking isn't healthy or at least you guys are the ones that seem to want to argue with anyone that does say walking is healthy.

All you guys need to do is say that walking is a healthy thing to do in the day and move on rather than argue with anyone that is saying walking is healthy. Especially if you actually think walking is healthy, that just means you guys are arguing for the sake of arguing, which is annoying.
Nope. You're actually the only person who has said that.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:41 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,866,195 times
Quote:
Well I worked 8 hours today, and biked 30 minutes each way. That time I have on my hands is the down time I have before I need to make dinner. I don't spend 2 1/2 hours commuting.

Have you ever added up all the time you spend in a car driving to places in a day? You should give it a try, it would be in interesting experiment.
For most people an 30 min bike ride would be an 5-10 min. car ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or