U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2014, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,060 posts, read 16,066,811 times
Reputation: 12635

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Okay, it is an arbitrary number that is used in just about every walking app. Still you can't say walking 5 miles or 10K steps isn't a bad thing to do.
Of course I can. It obviously isn't a bad thing to walk five miles, assuming you don't have some hip condition or something anyway. Why do you think I can't say that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2014, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Of course I can. It's obviously isn't a bad thing to walk five miles, assuming you don't have some hip condition or something anyway. Why do you think I can't say that?
I thought we were all in an agreement that walking 5 miles is a good thing. Are you now saying we are not in an agreement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,060 posts, read 16,066,811 times
Reputation: 12635
Well, for someone like my mom who has pretty bad bursitis in one of her hips and is trying to postpone the inevitable hip replacement it would be a bad thing to walk five miles.

I can't answer that for you. You're the one who said, "Still you can't say walking 5 miles or 10K steps isn't a bad thing to do." I would definitely say walking 5 miles a day isn't a bad thing disregarding specific medical conditions where limiting walking is preferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, for someone like my mom who has pretty bad bursitis in one of her hips and is trying to postpone the inevitable hip replacement it would be a bad thing to walk five miles.

I can't answer that for you. You're the one who said, "Still you can't say walking 5 miles or 10K steps isn't a bad thing to do." I would definitely say walking 5 miles a day isn't a bad thing disregarding specific medical conditions where limiting walking is preferable.
I am sure your mom wishes should could still walk 5 miles a day. Basically what you are doing is providing a strawman argument for the sake of arguing.

This thread isn't about your mom, it is about making a place more walkable. For most people, walking is a good thing, there are some that can't walk but probably would if they could because it is a healthy activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 01:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
For most people an 30 min bike ride would be an 5-10 min. car ride.
Not in anywhere congested. Not even for me, where my bike ride is through semi-rural areas. 30 min bike ride = 7.5 mi (reasonable for anyone biking regularly). You'd an average of 45 mph to get that in 10 minutes, unlikely with lights. 5 minutes is rather impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 01:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Your link, quoting an economist (and dredging up old threads, I'll add) did not convince me. It's been a long time since I've been to NYC, but I do not recall seeing anyone speedwalking there. You're thinking average speed (maybe) of a 30 year old. Older people walk more slowly. I don't see that in downtown Denver, either. (Yesterday, to answer you next question.) People out walking their dogs, which you see a lot around here, are just moseying along.
I'm linking to an old thread because I don't want to copy and paste the same thing, not other people's posts I was disagreeing with. My link was a measure of how much people walked in certain cities, I wasn't linking to it for the Krugman link, which wasn't in the link.

You were discussing my walking speed / distance earlier. I can estimate how far and fast I walk, 30 minutes really doesn't sound high.

Those people moseying along are not walking for transportation, which who I thought we were discussing. While most aren't speed walking in NYC, few are moseying around except for tourists, not just younger people. 20 minutes / mile isn't speed walking at all. My mom's pace is about the same and she's not exactly athletic. Can't think of other older people, but a healthy 50 year old should be able to keep that pace and walking slower is a waste of time.

Quote:
Truthfully, what other "trip or two" are you talking about? In post after post, thread after thread about walkability, people post about stopping someplace on the way to/from their work or bus stop, not going out of their way, or going somewhere later on.
Anything besides commuting. After 20 minutes of walking to/from transit stops, that leaves 10 minutes to reach 30 minutes. Unless you just go straight home everyday, it shouldn't be hard to get to 30 minutes or very close to it.

Last edited by nei; 10-13-2014 at 01:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 01:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Three miles an hour is about normal if you're purposely walking somewhere. For a lot of people, however, that's not going to be enough to qualify as exercise. I'd have to walk closer to 4.5 miles per hour, a little over 50% more than what I normally walk naturally. At that point it's much more natural to just go for a slow jog for me.

Even if I walked five hours for transportation, I would get zero minutes of moderately-strenuous exercise. I mean, better than sitting on your butt. But you could wash the dishes or do light house cleaning and get the same benefits. I'm usually around 12-20k steps per day though, so a couple five-mute jaunts to the bus stop mean very little in my overall activity.
The link that Katiana brought up said that was enough to qualify. My quibble was how 30 minutes / day at that pace would be hard to reach:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't know what/when/how much anyone is walking except yourself. The point is, for walking to count as exercise, per the Mayo Clinic and the AHA, one has to be walking at a moderate intensity and for 30 minutes a day (can be broken up into 2-3 sessions). Here are a couple definitions of "moderate intensity" from reliable (e.g. NOT Rodale Press or Dr. Oz) sources: http://exercise.about.com/od/getting...intensity.htm; What's moderate intensity exercise? - Wellness Center, U of I Note the U of I link says "brisk walking", e.g. the way you walk when you're about to miss the bus. It's not a saunter to the bus stop, a stroll to the bar/coffee shop, etc. And it has to add up to at least 30 minutes per day. Believe me, when you start to keep track of the time, it's harder to get there than you think. My friend and I walk about 30 minutes in the morning and we cover about 1 1/2 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33050
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm linking to an old thread because I don't want to copy and paste the same thing, not other people's posts I was disagreeing with. My link was a measure of how much people walked in certain cities, I wasn't linking to it for the Krugman link, which wasn't in the link.

You were discussing my walking speed / distance earlier. I can estimate how far and fast I walk, 30 minutes really doesn't sound high.

Those people moseying along are not walking for transportation, which who I thought we were discussing. While most aren't speed walking in NYC, few are moseying around except for tourists, not just younger people. 20 minutes / mile isn't speed walking at all. My mom's pace is about the same and she's not exactly athletic. Can't think of other older people, but a healthy 50 year old should be able to keep that pace and walking slower is a waste of time.



Anything besides commuting. After 20 minutes of walking to/from transit stops, that leaves 10 minutes to reach 30 minutes. Unless you just go straight home everyday, it shouldn't be hard to get to 30 minutes or very close to it.
Ha, ha! I see no one looked at my links. If they had, they would have found that one of them from about.com was the wrong link. It should have been this: What Is a Moderate Intensity Exercise? I just discovered this when I went to look at it again.

Anyway, according to the link within the link: Perceived Exertion Scale - Exercise for walking to qualify as "brisk" you should be "just above comfortable, (are) sweating more and can still talk easily"; sweating more meaning more than in the previous level. So unless you're sweating pretty hard, and are a little uncomfortable, it's not "brisk" walking.

The quote from this link: How Fast is a Brisk Walking Pace? might also help:
"Brisk walking actually refers to your exertion. For your walking pace to be brisk, you need to be breathing harder than usual."

So some of you fit young guys may have to pick up the pace to get some benefit from your walking. Here is another quote from the "Brisk Walking" link:

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that brisk walking is at a pace of three miles per hour or more (but not racewalking) or roughly 20 minutes per mile. That equates to about five kilometers per hour or 12 minutes per kilometer.

However, fitter people still will not be in a moderately intense exercise zone at that pace. A pace of 15 minutes per mile, or four miles per hour, is more likely to put fitter people into a moderately intense exercise zone. That equates to 9 minutes, 15 seconds per kilometer or 6.5 kilometers per hour."


I have done a lot of walking in my life, and frankly, I never "power-walked" to the bus stop, to work, across campus, or whatever unless I was running late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The link that Katiana brought up said that was enough to qualify. My quibble was how 30 minutes / day at that pace would be hard to reach:
I have clarified just how hard you have to be walking. The real test of it is your heart rate, which is discussed in one of the links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,060 posts, read 16,066,811 times
Reputation: 12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am sure your mom wishes should could still walk 5 miles a day. Basically what you are doing is providing a strawman argument for the sake of arguing.

This thread isn't about your mom, it is about making a place more walkable. For most people, walking is a good thing, there are some that can't walk but probably would if they could because it is a healthy activity.
Huh?

You're the one who said that, and I quote, "Still you can't say walking 5 miles or 10K steps isn't a bad thing to do."

I can absolutely say that walking 5 miles isn't a bad thing to do. The only exception where walking 5 miles a day would be a bad thing is if you have some medical condition that is exacerbated by walking. You're just talking in circles. You've repeatedly been the only one in this thread to claim anyone said walking was bad. Now you're repeatedly saying that I can't say that walking isn't bad. Of course I can say walking isn't, in general, bad. For most people it just isn't bad to walk five miles a day. Why can't I say that? Tell me. You're the one who says, and I'll again quote, "Still you can't say walking 5 miles or 10K steps isn't a bad thing to do."

There's a very, very narrow population for your statement. For the rest of the population walking 5 miles is a good thing, so obviously any reasonable person can absolutely say that "walking 5 miles or 10k isn't a bad thing to do." So why do you think I can't say that? No strawmans here. It's your claim that for some reason I obviously cannot say that. Why?

Also, you said when you lived in North Chicago, an area less walkable than where I live, you still walked a lot. That's a second point. Couch potatoes gone be couch potatoes. You didn't really define a lot, but apparently in an area that is very unwalkable, you still walked a lot. I live in an area that is at best barely walkable. I still walk way more than five miles in a day. Couch potatoes gone be couch potatoes.

http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...ce8159f4000000
Urban kids walk less than suburban kids.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2927728/
"Finally, living environment (rural/urban), trying to eat a low fat/low calorie diet, and trying to eat five fruits and vegetables each day were not related to steps per day."

Last edited by Malloric; 10-13-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,060 posts, read 16,066,811 times
Reputation: 12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

So some of you fit young guys may have to pick up the pace to get some benefit from your walking. Here is another quote from the "Brisk Walking" link:

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that brisk walking is at a pace of three miles per hour or more (but not racewalking) or roughly 20 minutes per mile. That equates to about five kilometers per hour or 12 minutes per kilometer.

However, fitter people still will not be in a moderately intense exercise zone at that pace. A pace of 15 minutes per mile, or four miles per hour, is more likely to put fitter people into a moderately intense exercise zone. That equates to 9 minutes, 15 seconds per kilometer or 6.5 kilometers per hour."


I have done a lot of walking in my life, and frankly, I never "power-walked" to the bus stop, to work, across campus, or whatever unless I was running late.

I have clarified just how hard you have to be walking. The real test of it is your heart rate, which is discussed in one of the links.
Yes, and I'm not really all that fit. Just kind of general fitness. I jog a couple times a week, do some bike riding. As I said previously, walking at 4 mph does not raise my heart rate enough to constitute moderately-strenuous exercise. I'd have to walk faster. At that point, it's just easier and more comfortable for me to jog rather than power walk. I've never even power walked when I was late. I'm pretty sure the only time I've power walked was just as an experiment to see if it was really as uncomfortable and ridiculous as it looks. It is. It's just way easier to just jog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top