Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:31 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Just a point, because people discuss safety - I don't think it matters one bit. At least, the portion involving crime in general, not low safety because you're liable to be hit by a car, which is another issue.

My reason for saying this is because I've been in more than a few (and know of many more) high crime areas which nonetheless maintained functional walkable business districts. They might not look very nice overall, and they might not have businesses which cater to the gentrified set, but nonetheless there's a ton of people on the streets. It's only once a neighborhood declines so much that the business district goes from shabby to blighted/abandoned that street life vanishes.

Last edited by eschaton; 04-27-2014 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 08:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Just a point, because people discuss safety - I don't think it matters one bit. At least, the portion involving crime in general, not low safety because you're liable to be hit by a car, which is another issue.

My reason for saying this is because I've been in more than a few (and know of many more) high crime areas which nonetheless maintained functional walkable business districts. They might not look very nice overall, and they might not have businesses which cater to the gentrified set, but nonetheless there's a ton of people on the streets. Its only once a neighborhood declines so much that the business district goes from shabby to blighted/abandoned that street life vanishes.
I don't think crime is what most people were referring to. Speaking for myself, I meant safety from auto-pedestrian accidents. I've been a visiting nurse. I've been to the seamier side of many cities. Not much scares me.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think crime is what most people were referring to. Speaking for myself, I meant safety from auto-pedestrian accidents.
I think others meant auto-pedestrian accidents, too. However, there has been mention of safety walking (at least alone for females at night) in regards to crime, so perhaps it should be mentioned.

Quote:
I've been a visiting nurse. I've been to the seamier side of many cities. Not much scares me.
Out of curiosity what's the seemiest city neighborhood you've spent much time in?

Last edited by nei; 04-27-2014 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-27-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think others meant auto-pedestrian accidents, too. However, there has been mentioned of safety walking (at least alone for females at night), so perhaps it should be mentioned.

Out of curiosity what's the seemiest city neighborhood you've spent much time in?
Probably Braddock,PA, a suburb so to speak,of Pittsburgh. Also St. Clair Village, a housing project in Pittsburgh. I'm not sure it's around any more. Champaign has a good size ghetto. Some of Commerce City,CO is pretty rough,too.

I do agree that women walking alone at night is a safety issue.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:54 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Probably Braddock,PA, a suburb so to speak,of Pittsburgh. Also St. Clair Village, a housing project in Pittsburgh. I'm not sure it's around any more.
Saint Clair is gone now. Braddock is so depopulated/demolished that it's a relatively safe place now. Hasn't been a murder in ten years or so, IIRC.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:28 AM

35 posts, read 55,487 times
nei-- I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned drivers who don't expect pedestrians. Too often, "planned" cities try to make navigation easier for drivers and pedestrians, but in Boston, the opposite is the case, and yet it's safe. Driving, walking, and cycling in Boston require a heightened, not a reduced, level of attention, and people make the required adjustments.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:41 AM

35 posts, read 55,487 times
Regarding safety from car-pedestrian accidents, if that's your chief worry, then don't jaywalk, and wait for the light to change. And pay attention to traffic anyway, even when you've clearly got the right of way. Don't use your cell phone, unless you know you can prioritize attention to traffic over the attention you devote to the phone. Don't be a "rights activist" in the street, but be ready to sprint on a moment's notice. And so on.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litehop743 View Post
Regarding safety from car-pedestrian accidents, if that's your chief worry, then don't jaywalk, and wait for the light to change. And pay attention to traffic anyway, even when you've clearly got the right of way. Don't use your cell phone, unless you know you can prioritize attention to traffic over the attention you devote to the phone. Don't be a "rights activist" in the street, but be ready to sprint on a moment's notice. And so on.
That's certainly part of it. Sidewalks help, too.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Saint Clair is gone now. Braddock is so depopulated/demolished that it's a relatively safe place now. Hasn't been a murder in ten years or so, IIRC.
I did my work there in the early 70s. It's amazing what a little 30 year recession will do. Braddock lost 90% of its population between 1920 and 2010. Population in 1970 was about 8800.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braddock,_Pennsylvania

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-28-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-28-2014, 08:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litehop743 View Post
Also drivers need to be more aware of their surroundings while driving, stop talking on the phone, trying to read a text message while driving, or fiddling with the radio when in areas that have pedestrians. And most importantly, slow down and lose the aggressive driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning