U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 AM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Also drivers need to be more aware of their surroundings while driving, stop talking on the phone, trying to read a text message while driving, or fiddling with the radio when in areas that have pedestrians. And most importantly, slow down and lose the aggressive driving.
The car is bigger. Sure, they "should" do those things. But you really don't want to die with your pedestrian rights intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 AM

27,166 posts, read 29,660,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litehop743 View Post
Regarding safety from car-pedestrian accidents, if that's your chief worry, then don't jaywalk, and wait for the light to change. And pay attention to traffic anyway, even when you've clearly got the right of way. Don't use your cell phone, unless you know you can prioritize attention to traffic over the attention you devote to the phone. Don't be a "rights activist" in the street, but be ready to sprint on a moment's notice. And so on.
The pedestrian accidents here are mostly the drivers fault. Many times when they are turning on red. When they went back and analyzed last years incidents 2/3 were the fault of the driver and not due to jaywalking or any of those other things. Drivers do not pay attention quite often. Most accidents happen in the crosswalks, where pedestrians supposedly have the right of way.

Most of the time that is street design, the road is too fast or there is limited visibility of pedestrians at corners.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,514,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The car is bigger. Sure, they "should" do those things. But you really don't want to die with your pedestrian rights intact.
Well I would prefer the driver to not run people over to begin with. When I drice, I make it a point to be aware of my surroundings, especially for people not in vehicles.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:55 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,827,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The pedestrian accidents here are mostly the drivers fault. Many times when they are turning on red.
There are some intersections where the right turn on red clearly should be prohibited - congested intersections, intersections with bad sight lines for pedestrians and/or drivers, etc. Each intersection really should be evaluated individually.

Quote:
Well I would prefer the driver to not run people over to begin with. When I drice, I make it a point to be aware of my surroundings, especially for people not in vehicles.
Pedestrians need to do the same, and they don't always. When pedestrians are looking at or talking on their cell phones instead of watching where they're going, and step out into the street in front of a car, one cannot automatically fault the driver. You can be the most attentive driver in the world and still not be able to stop for an inattentive pedestrian.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There are some intersections where the right turn on red clearly should be prohibited - congested intersections, intersections with bad sight lines for pedestrians and/or drivers, etc. Each intersection really should be evaluated individually.

Pedestrians need to do the same, and they don't always. When pedestrians are looking at or talking on their cell phones instead of watching where they're going, and step out into the street in front of a car, one cannot automatically fault the driver. You can be the most attentive driver in the world and still not be able to stop for an inattentive pedestrian.
Depends on where the pedestrian is stepping out into the road. But you must remember, a car is going to do more damage to a pedestrian than a pedestrian will do to a car, therefore the driver needs to be fully aware of their surroundings when driving.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:19 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,827,196 times
Quote:
Depends on where the pedestrian is stepping out into the road. But you must remember, a car is going to do more damage to a pedestrian than a pedestrian will do to a car, therefore the driver needs to be fully aware of their surroundings when driving.
Read my post again ....

Old 04-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Read my post again ....
And? You simply said step out in the street. When you cross a street at a crosswalk, you also step out into the street. Also, what if it is an unmarked crosswalk? Regardless, a driver should always pay attention to their surroundings, especially when driving in areas that have a lot of pedestrians because you never know when one might step out into the street.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:28 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
In today's paper. Driver was not ticketed. Things happen.
Longmont woman slowly recovering from being run over in January - Boulder Daily Camera

Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,079,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
... Or the signal is timed so cars get 5 minutes of green and Ty walkers have to push the button for the signal waiting 3-5 minutes for each crossing.
Yes.... very, VERY annoying at best, and in actuality irresponsible, a huge safety concern as most people get impatient after 30 seconds or so and just try to cross before the light changes. ESPECIALLY if there is a bus stop on the other side of the street and the busses run every half hour...

Old 04-28-2014, 01:46 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,079,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
... I thought part of having a civil society is doing away with this kind of mob rule mentality? ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or