U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 04:07 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And where is this?
Have you ever been to Virginia Beach, VA? It is a metro of 7 cities with very little transit. They just built a very limited light rail line and the traffic there is horrible regardless of the time of day.

That is what happens when a region is built around decentralization and is completely car centric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
If one has everything they need within driving distance, then they too have access to every area they need. That's why I personally don't place much value on being able to walk to places.

If the ability to walk and use transit negatively impacts the ability to drive (San Francico downtown especially, Manhattan, Park Slope, for example), I'd just prefer to live somewhere else. I'd prefer to get places by car and live in an area that's more conducive to that.
And in those areas that you have to drive to everywhere you need, what do those do that cannot drive or can't afford to drive?

Old 10-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Well, the Bay Area bad traffic. Most of it doesn't have particularly good transit aside from San Francisco. Even Oakland the transit is very spotty. But then I've never experienced gridlock anywhere in the Bay Area except downtown San Francisco where it's the norm. Pedestrians actually cause a lot of it. I remember trying to turn right and there was so many pedestrians I sat in that lane for about 10 minutes moving up one or two cars each cycle.
Did you notice how those pedestrians had no problem getting to where they were going? That is the benefit of a walkability.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:11 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And in those areas that you have to drive to everywhere you need, what do those do that cannot drive or can't afford to drive?
I wouldn't be able to tell you. I've never lived in such a place.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Did you notice how those pedestrians had no problem getting to where they were going? That is the benefit of a walkability.
I don't have a problem getting where I'm going where I live either. I'd say as far as walkability it's pretty bad. There's nothing I can walk to other than the park and a gas station within a mile.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be able to tell you. I've never lived in such a place.
You should give it a try sometime, it is very limiting for a person to live in a car centric area without the ability to drive anywhere.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem getting where I'm going where I live either. I'd say as far as walkability it's pretty bad. There's nothing I can walk to other than the park and a gas station within a mile.
That sounds like you live in a very limiting place for anyone without the ability to drive. That would be considered a very car centric area that relies only on one form of transportation rather than a option of transportation modes that helps alleviate traffic and make commuting easier for those that don't drive.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:28 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Virginia Beach, VA? It is a metro of 7 cities with very little transit. They just built a very limited light rail line and the traffic there is horrible regardless of the time of day.

That is what happens when a region is built around decentralization and is completely car centric.
Yes, I've been there. I didn't think driving around was that bad, though we really didn't drive much. It was a "Girls Gone Wild" trip with my BFF, her sister, and my daughters.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
That sounds like you live in a very limiting place for anyone without the ability to drive. That would be considered a very car centric area that relies only on one form of transportation rather than a option of transportation modes that helps alleviate traffic and make commuting easier for those that don't drive.
There's transit. Definitely easier to drive though. I find biking to not be difficult.

No real traffic to worry about alleviating. I really only hit traffic either going into Sacramento or when I'm leaving my metro area to go to the Bay Area. People do commute from here to the Bay Area. I certainly wouldn't do it on a regular basis. I'm in San Francisco maybe 2-3 days a month normally.

Better commute service would be nice. There's a train that runs to Oakland that doesn't take much longer than driving with traffic. I'd definitely use it except that the first train doesn't leave until after 9 a.m. so it's useless for commuters.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-19-2014 at 05:02 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, I've been there. I didn't think driving around was that bad, though we really didn't drive much. It was a "Girls Gone Wild" trip with my BFF, her sister, and my daughters.
You should take a trip back there, rent a car, and drive out of the beach strip to the real part of the metro and let me know what you think of the traffic there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or