Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 05:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Oh and in that link there is parking behind the buildings.
which one? Found a double parked truck in the same neighborhood as my second link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6251...QaxH2nmzXg!2e0

Annoying obstacle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 06:01 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
which one?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3193...usHqACJkVg!2e0

This one. There is no parking on the street that the buildings are on, but if you look their is on the street parking and an sign pointing to an garage around the corner. It is probably like downtown oak park where the city actually built an garage and the buildings are just too old for min. parking rules to apply.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3192...XP9pn2L7pA!2e0

and check this out...where is this car going or parked in front of?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3193...jbfUMwebDg!2e0

Old 10-04-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
which one? Found a double parked truck in the same neighborhood as my second link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6251...QaxH2nmzXg!2e0

Annoying obstacle
The truck is double parked because there is no parking. Happens all the time in Chicago esp. in front of small stores that have no parking when they get an delivery. Anyway the reason why strip malls were built is because the automobile has been invented. Strip malls need not be unfriendly to pedestrians but the don't fit certain people's tastes.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
The truck is double parked because there is no parking. Happens all the time in Chicago esp. in front of small stores that have no parking when they get an delivery. Anyway the reason why strip malls were built is because the automobile has been invented. Strip malls need not be unfriendly to pedestrians but the don't fit certain people's tastes.
We should be designing for the pedestrian first.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
How is that double talk? Parking takes up valuable land. Having lots of parking in a walkable will mean there's less to walk to, and inflate costs due to land acquisition, which might be impractical. If it worth it, businesses can pay to make sure to have it. If not, not. I haven't seen any impassable streets in areas with scarce parking. I'm not a libertarian, but I don't see why businesses shouldn't choose how much parking to provide. It has nothing to do with developers, people object to rules that make the type of neighborhood prefer from being built.

And how do you get much anything besides strip malls with high commercial parking requirements? In any case, wburg's example has parking.
Well, maybe double talk wasn't the right word, but wburg wants to make parking somewhat of a PITA, but claims he doesn't want to eliminate parking, just wants to let businesses decide how much they need, etc. Have his cake and eat it too, in other words. Restrict parking w/o appearing to restrict parking. Make it a PITA to park without appearing to do so.

Quote:
well that's why I wouldn't oppose any restriction on businesses having parking (except in certain cases). But if business think they're fine without it, let them choose so.
I do oppose undue restrictions on parking, and I favor minimum parking requirements. I doubt you'd find *too* many businesses who would prefer no parking.

Quote:
That hypothesis in your link appears to be something different from the described in escahton's link, which cites scientific papers.
That's what I found when I looked up "savanna hypothesis". I was in the car, on the phone, didn't realize eschaton had posted a link. In any event, I found nothing supporting what he said. (Just read his link.) His info is from 1980, 34 years ago. If there were anything to it, it would be all over the internet. Try this: Ardipithecus Ramidus Versus The Savannah Hypothesis

While eschaton's link makes much of the closeness of the genomes of humans and apes, it's pretty much the same with humans and all mammals. There's not much difference, genetically, between us and rats, for example. This came up on the parenting forum one time, believe it or not, and I confirmed what I just said with my daughter who has a BA in biology with a concentration in genetics.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-04-2014 at 07:53 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 09:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3193...usHqACJkVg!2e0

This one. There is no parking on the street that the buildings are on, but if you look their is on the street parking and an sign pointing to an garage around the corner. It is probably like downtown oak park where the city actually built an garage and the buildings are just too old for min. parking rules to apply.
Yes, I know there's a garage. It's a bit of a circuitous walk to get from that garage to the CVS, though not that long, I doubt too many people go to the garage to only visit the CVS, but I can't tell for sure.

And those old parts that predate minimum parking rules are really what give the town (or really most towns) its characters). The stretches with strip malls look rather bland and generic. And town with only strip malls would be rather bleak.

Quote:
For that area, you'd need to sacracific a significant space for every store to its own parking. Obviously that can't happen today, but even starting from scratch you'd get a rather different result than the existing district. And you'd need more than a small lot for truck.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:51 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I do oppose undue restrictions on parking, and I favor minimum parking requirements. I doubt you'd find *too* many businesses who would prefer no parking.
Throughout most of the US, you'd probably be right. But, that's because we've become auto-dependent. So, how can we break this cycle? (we continue to build infrastructure that is most convenient for automobile use, which requires everyone to drive, which encourages building more infrastructure convenient for automobile use, etc., etc.) One way, would be to eliminate minimum parking requirements, IMO.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, maybe double talk wasn't the right word, but wburg wants to make parking somewhat of a PITA, but claims he doesn't want to eliminate parking, just wants to let businesses decide how much they need, etc. Have his cake and eat it too, in other words. Restrict parking w/o appearing to restrict parking. Make it a PITA to park without appearing to do so.

So what should the minimum parking requirement be and why? If a business wants to have no parking, they should be allowed to do that.

I drove past Killer Burger this evening by my house on the way to pick up some food and they were packed with a line out the door like they always have around dinner. They have no parking, they sit in a walkable neighborhood with available street parking around them, and they are easy to walk to for nearby neighbors.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what should the minimum parking requirement be and why? If a business wants to have no parking, they should be allowed to do that.

I drove past Killer Burger this evening by my house on the way to pick up some food and they were packed with a line out the door like they always have around dinner. They have no parking, they sit in a walkable neighborhood with available street parking around them, and they are easy to walk to for nearby neighbors.
And their customer base is limited to nearby neighbors. I think certain business should have min. parking like say an doctor's office, an restaurant that has seating, and any other things that is likely to tie up traffic as well as cause problems for the area. I have seen what happens when places lack parking and it ain't cute, it is ugly and annoying.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
And their customer base is limited to nearby neighbors. I think certain business should have min. parking like say an doctor's office, an restaurant that has seating, and any other things that is likely to tie up traffic as well as cause problems for the area. I have seen what happens when places lack parking and it ain't cute, it is ugly and annoying.
There are 10,400 people that live in the neighborhood that are able to walk or street park nearby the restaurant. Seeing that they are packed and have a line out the door during most lunch and dinner times, I don't think they are hurting by not having a large parking lot attached to them.

In my entire neighborhood, only a few businesses have actual parking lots that are typically very small lots, and the rest rely on street parking and nearby residents that are within walking and biking distance. Because the neighborhood is designed for the pedestrian first, it is able to have active businesses lining the commercial streets without the need of large parking lots for each individual business.

Oddly enough, I have seen commercial buildings with large parking lots and the businesses are still failing. Having a parking lot isn't something that kills a business if the area surrounding it is a walkable community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning