Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BWI Vs. Gatwick
BWI 4 100.00%
Gatwick 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:33 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,189,884 times

Advertisements

Which airport is better planned and connected in your opinion. List the reasons for your choice as well.

BWI International:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...fa971740?hl=en

Gatwick:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ga...018973ff?hl=en

I would give the edge to BWI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 04:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,403,893 times
Gatwick isn't well connected, it's miles outside of London situated in its greenbelt. Other than one small city, there's nothing there.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:34 PM

13,002 posts, read 18,880,878 times
BWI is better located so that makes it better connected. But Gatwick is less subject to delays, and is connected to London by rail, so it's a tough call. Of course, the idea of locating an airport within a green belt (moral equivalent of a national park) makes it difficult for aviation related businesses to be anywhere close.

Last edited by pvande55; 04-30-2014 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Add green belt note

Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,403,893 times
There's are small cities adjacent to Gatwick, but outside it's undeveloped. Not really a national park in the American sense as it's farm country with some rural residents.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 AM

2,938 posts, read 4,116,011 times
BWI is better by far. The last time I used BWI was to fly to Heathrow, spend a few days in London, then fly to Paris via Gatwick.

My plane tickets were actually codeshared with Amtrak so my "plane" tickets were 30th St to BWI, change "planes" BWI to London. It's a fast and free shuttle across the parking lot from the train station to the terminals.

BWI is a cheap and quick light rail ride or a cheap and quick commuter ride from Baltimore and an only slightly longer commuter rail ride from DC. Gatwick is about as far from central London as DC is from BWI but the train fares there are much more in line with Amtrak fares than with MARC fares.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:50 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,189,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
BWI is better by far. The last time I used BWI was to fly to Heathrow, spend a few days in London, then fly to Paris via Gatwick.

My plane tickets were actually codeshared with Amtrak so my "plane" tickets were 30th St to BWI, change "planes" BWI to London. It's a fast and free shuttle across the parking lot from the train station to the terminals.

BWI is a cheap and quick light rail ride or a cheap and quick commuter ride from Baltimore and an only slightly longer commuter rail ride from DC. Gatwick is about as far from central London as DC is from BWI but the train fares there are much more in line with Amtrak fares than with MARC fares.
I think that's because Gatwick is not connected by local transit and serves London only through intercity rail.

Its almost halfway to Brighton.

On top of that, M 23 does not even connect to London, and stops in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning