U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 01:03 PM

613 posts, read 893,774 times

Advertisements

One thing I have noticed is that small towns often have people living in the town for generations but big cities' populations are very transient, in generation times or even in the lifetime of an individual (I heard the average resident lives in New York for only a few years before moving elsewhere but I am not sure if it is true).

Are there statistics on this? If so, I'd be curious.

Another thing seems to be noticeable: big cities tend to have lots of first generation immigrants that are foreign born, from a couple dozen percent or more being immigrants or even more, in big cities in the US, plus those worldwide like London, Toronto, Sydney etc. Plus transplants, there must be a huge turnover rate of newcomers in big cities. How often do you come across an urbanite who says "my grandpa lived in this neighborhood and so did my great-grandpa" and so on.

I'd like to find data on residency/generation time for cities, where would I get this info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 02:12 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
One thing I have noticed is that small towns often have people living in the town for generations but big cities' populations are very transient, in generation times or even in the lifetime of an individual (I heard the average resident lives in New York for only a few years before moving elsewhere but I am not sure if it is true).

Are there statistics on this? If so, I'd be curious.

Another thing seems to be noticeable: big cities tend to have lots of first generation immigrants that are foreign born, from a couple dozen percent or more being immigrants or even more, in big cities in the US, plus those worldwide like London, Toronto, Sydney etc. Plus transplants, there must be a huge turnover rate of newcomers in big cities. How often do you come across an urbanite who says "my grandpa lived in this neighborhood and so did my great-grandpa" and so on.

I'd like to find data on residency/generation time for cities, where would I get this info?
The census bureau does give info on % who lived in the same house 5 years ago. It's on the CD main page for each city under housing info.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,037,172 times
Quote:
For NYC, 49% of residents were born somewhere in New York State. Another 10% were born in another state.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
For NYC, 49% of residents were born somewhere in New York State. Another 10% were born in another state.
And 41% were born outside the US? That's pretty amazing!

Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM

389 posts, read 401,023 times
^^^ Indeed that is

Old 05-05-2014, 04:32 PM

Denver:
46% of Denver residents lived in the same house 5 years ago.
Out of people who lived in different houses, 48% lived in this county.
Out of people who lived in different counties, 47% lived in Colorado.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...#ixzz30soYONpD

17.4% are foreign born (65% of them from Mexico)
About 1/3 of residents were born in Colorado

Old 05-05-2014, 04:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
How often do you come across an urbanite who says "my grandpa lived in this neighborhood and so did my great-grandpa" and so on.
A great-great-grandparent lived within a few miles of where I grew up. Born elsewhere (New Jersey 1873) but later moved to Long Island. Not a big city, but a then small town now suburb. Discovered this from a relative who brought genealogy notes at a family reunion. He took his son to Greenwood Cemetry in Brooklyn where he has ancestors buried (not related to me, though).

Old 05-05-2014, 08:12 PM

Note for NYC, the "transplants" that often get a lot of media attention aren't that large of a fraction of the city's population, definitely not compared to immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And 41% were born outside the US? That's pretty amazing!
or a US territory, those born in Puerto Rico might be about 3%. I know it's high, though never really thought how unusual it is. Los Angeles is slightly higher than New York City, if you ignore Puerto Ricans. Some other English-speaking cities with a high foreign born population are Toronto (48%) and London (37%). Canadian numbers are also for the entire metropolitan area: 45% of the Toronto metro was born outside of Canada, and 40% of the Vancouver metro. I think the Los Angeles metro is slightly higher than the NYC metro, but Los Angeles is much more from one country, Mexico. New York City doesn't have a country of origin that's much higher than the rest, current top 3 of origin are:

1) Dominican Republic 12.4%
2) China 11.4%
3) Mexico 6.1%

More Foreign-Born Immigrants Live In NYC Than There Are People In Chicago

[linked to pdf gives more details]

The citydata.com info on 5 year movers didn't have info for NYC, the webpage gave information for New York County [Manhattan] instead.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:48 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,958,688 times
The average American moves house every 7 years although that's slowed down a little since the great recession.

I grew up in the NYC area. A lot of people move out of the city but they don't go very far. Of my family and all the friends I've kept up with over the years I'd say that 80% of them are still living within 60 miles of where they were born and 90% are still within 100 miles of where they were born.

I know lots of people who have moved away for a few years but most of them move back eventually.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Note for NYC, the "transplants" that often get a lot of media attention aren't that large of a fraction of the city's population, definitely not compared to immigrants.

or a US territory, those born in Puerto Rico might be about 3%. I know it's high, though never really thought how unusual it is. Los Angeles is slightly higher than New York City, if you ignore Puerto Ricans. Some other English-speaking cities with a high foreign born population are Toronto (48%) and London (37%). Canadian numbers are also for the entire metropolitan area: 45% of the Toronto metro was born outside of Canada, and 40% of the Vancouver metro. I think the Los Angeles metro is slightly higher than the NYC metro, but Los Angeles is much more from one country, Mexico. New York City doesn't have a country of origin that's much higher than the rest, current top 3 of origin are:

1) Dominican Republic 12.4%
2) China 11.4%
3) Mexico 6.1%

More Foreign-Born Immigrants Live In NYC Than There Are People In Chicago

[linked to pdf gives more details]

The citydata.com info on 5 year movers didn't have info for NYC, the webpage gave information for New York County [Manhattan] instead.
Less than half of LA's foreign-born population is from Mexico. As in other measures, LA is diverse:

Mexico (41%)
El Salvador (11%)
Guatemala (7%)
Philippines (5%)
Korea (5%)
Iran (3%)
Armenia (2%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...#ixzz30wcTesRR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or