Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:53 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,691,595 times

Advertisements

Saw this awesome video about Lakewood OH. Apparently schools were placed so they didn't need to provide buses. Everyone is in walking distance. They save a million dollars a year on transit costs since they don't need to provide buses.

How One Suburb Made School Buses Obsolete - Sarah Goodyear - The Atlantic Cities

And it builds community.

Look at that, it is a walkable suburb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 12:05 AM

46,001 posts, read 34,988,992 times
That is a pretty smart thing to do. This should be common with most Elementary and Junior High schools.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:06 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Saw this awesome video about Lakewood OH. Apparently schools were placed so they didn't need to provide buses. Everyone is in walking distance. They save a million dollars a year on transit costs since they don't need to provide buses.

How One Suburb Made School Buses Obsolete - Sarah Goodyear - The Atlantic Cities

And it builds community.

Look at that, it is a walkable suburb!
I wonder how many actually do walk or bike to school? My school committee did a little observation, and even at "neighborhood schools" with no transportation provided by the school, few walk, most are driven.

And walkable suburbs are everywhere.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:17 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,440,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

The exception, not the rule

Old 05-11-2014, 03:07 AM

28,225 posts, read 36,691,595 times
Quote:
I wonder how many actually do walk or bike to school? My school committee did a little observation, and even at "neighborhood schools" with no transportation provided by the school, few walk, most are driven.
I thought walking to school was the only way people got their, until my family moved. I thought it was weird not to walk. When I lived in walking distance most everyone walked. But that was a different time I guess.

Quote:
I have never said they weren't, but plenty of people are under the impression walkability is limited to urban areas only. Turn over to any recent thread, and there is a comment about that.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,149,397 times
Quote:
That wasn't true at my school, at least for the older students (say grades 8-10). More so afternoon, as parents are less likely to be home.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I thought walking to school was the only way people got their, until my family moved. I thought it was weird not to walk. When I lived in walking distance most everyone walked. But that was a different time I guess.

I have never said they weren't, but plenty of people are under the impression walkability is limited to urban areas only. Turn over to any recent thread, and there is a comment about that.
When I lived within walking distance, everybody, 100% walked. Many families only had one car at the time, and the Dad took it to work. But yeah, times have changed.

I agree that almost every recent thread, and I'll add, most of the old ones too, have comments about non-walkable suburbs. Yes, there are plenty of walkable burbs.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 AM

5,496 posts, read 9,432,145 times
Unfortunately, the state of Ohio tries to consolidate neighborhood schools whenever possible. The state believes it's more cost-effective to build, maintain, and operate a smaller number of larger buildings, than a larger number of smaller buildings.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 AM

91,982 posts, read 122,078,964 times
I think what helps Lakewood is that with many former streetcar suburbs, they are essentially an extension of the center city fabric in terms of built environment.

Also, the claim of being the most dense municipality between NYC and Chicago isn't correct. I know that Kenmore, NY next to Buffalo has around 15,000 people within 1.4 square miles and there may be some others in say NJ that have a higher density.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Unfortunately, the state of Ohio tries to consolidate neighborhood schools whenever possible. The state believes it's more cost-effective to build, maintain, and operate a smaller number of larger buildings, than a larger number of smaller buildings.
Having worked with (not for) the schools for many years, that is actually true. Each building first needs to be built to the tune of millions of dollars. Then they all need to be staffed. Each building needs a principal.That's what costs the big bucks in schools, personnel. It's harder to be flexible with class assignments in a small, 1-2 round per grade level school than in a larger one. Many issues here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning