Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what you mean, but it's not surprising to have points of agreement, even when we disagree in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:29 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If you haven't noticed; if you are either single or childless (well, depending on age) then you would be sort of an anomaly in a suburban environment.
Nicely written, but just for the record I've lived in a whole bunch of suburbs and had plenty of neighbors who were single. And plenty of people are childless couples. There are all kinds of couples in this world who do not choose to have children, but enjoy living in a pleasant neighborhood. Believe it or not, the people who live here do NOT think living in the suburbs is some sort of sacrifice you make just for the sake of children. The LIKE living here. All kinds of people live in the suburbs.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Nicely written, but just for the record I've lived in a whole bunch of suburbs and had plenty of neighbors who were single. And plenty of people are childless couples. There are all kinds of couples in this world who do not choose to have children, but enjoy living in a pleasant neighborhood. Believe it or not, the people who live here do NOT think living in the suburbs is some sort of sacrifice you make just for the sake of children. The LIKE living here. All kinds of people live in the suburbs.
This is true. We moved to the 'burbs before we had kids. At the time of the move, we thought we weren't going to be able to have any, so it was not a "biding one's time" issue. We liked the slower pace of life in the burbs.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

an anomaly in a suburban environment.

OMG, I suddenly realized just why SWB hates living in the suburbs so much. It makes him an Intellectual Metrosexual Fahmily Anomaly.

...and the longer he stays there, the more likely he'll wake up one morning and find out he's impregnated some girl. Because everybody knows, if you live in the suburbs that's what happens. Something in the aluminum siding just overcomes you... and... poof! You're a daddy! And then what would his metrosexual friends think?

Quick, SWB--it's time to buy a house in Scranton. You're a finance major--figure out how to finance it and turn it into an independent study project.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:19 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
ITA that school scores attract new residents. The schools in Loudoun County are one of the biggest reasons people move here. However, I do get tired (VERY tired) of people assuming that the suburbs are homogenous and white. As a black woman, I find this insulting... not to mention ridiculous. Suburban America might have been lily white 40 years ago, but people of all races and all kinds of personalities appreciate living in nice neighborhoods with low crime and good schools.
Don't be insulted, no such assumption made on my part. It's all a matter of degree. The proportion of suburbanites in the US is overwhelmingly white and middle/upper middle class. The proportion of city dwellers of various races and income levels is much more diverse. It was more tru 40 years ago, but it is still true today.

Also, why are YOU implying that nice neighborhoods, good schools and low crime are not found in city neighborhoods? I disgaree (but am not insulted )

Old 12-14-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Don't be insulted, no such assumption made on my part.
I'm really glad to hear that. So, in the future, would you please word your thoughts differently from:

"People look at test scores. Guess which districts always come out on top? Homogenous, white, upper income suburban districts. In cities with diverse populations in terms of income levels, language fluency, etc. you get a weighted test score for its district that just can't compare with the compartmentalized suburbs."

Because this wording sure makes it sound like you have such assumptions.

)[/quote]
Also, why are YOU implying that nice neighborhoods, good schools and low crime are not found in city neighborhoods? I disgaree (but am not insulted )[/quote] Saying that people of all races like to live in nice neighborhoods, etc. implies that suburban neighborhoods are considered nice. It does not, however imply that other neighborhoods are not considered nice.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:50 PM

...but, just for the record, I have nothing against city living, or small town living, or farm living. Loving one place does not mean hating the others.

I've done some city living, and for the most part had a fun time. I had apartments in downtown Denver, Los Angeles, the Montrose section of Houston (near downtown), and downtown Asheville. I loved living in all those places and felt safe. I've also lived in downtown San Francisco and Washington D.C. I did not have safe experiences in those cities, but I know other people who have. I don't anything about the schools in those cities, but I assume there are good schools in cities, and nobody has ever given me reason to think otherwise.

I live in a suburb right now, but I own properties in cities and a small town, as well and I am planning to move to the small town.

Just stating it for the record, in case anyone cares.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:39 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
OK, I'm practically brain-dead after a long day at work, but I'm going to try to respond to some of this.

Not everyone in the suburbs lives in a 4-5000 sq. foot house on a two-acre lot. Here in Colorado, the norm is ~2000 sq. ft. for the house and about 8000 sq. feet (1/5 of an acre) for the lot.

Denver tried keeping suburbanites out of the libraries (to make a point, I think). Eventually, the state passed a scientific and cultural facilities tax (a sales tax) in the metro area to support these enterprises such as the libraries, museums, the Colorado Symphony (which prior to this tax was the Denver symphony), the Colorado Ballet, and many others including arts in the suburbs. As far as hospitals and universities, most are not municipally owned (though they are usually tax-exempt), so that is not an issue, IMO.

As a parent, I don't think that's what parents think at all, and I don't think most parents are gullible. That's the "city mouse" argument, that we are all stupid and being led by some pied piper. The suburbs are, in many ways, better for raising children. The schools are almost always better. I know how to interpret test scores, I know they don't tell you much of anything. But suburban schools usually have more resources (money) than city schools. Crime tends to be lower in the burbs. They're not crime-free by any stretch, but they're safer. It's nice to have your own yard, where your kids can play while you're fixing dinner. Cuz as normie says, parents don't let their kids go to the park alone. Especially not when they're three years old. I am not especially worried about drugs, gangs, or satan.
Heh, Satan? Was that a joke?

Old 08-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
Carefully organize only minimal to even moderate amount. Predominant specific features is continuing opposing forces. Avoiding impulsive cancelling out undeniably. Enough people want a house with tons of space in this version of expression. Sprawl isn’t always negative I am learning recently. Although, simultaneously tons of neighborhoods or residential blocks not even representing following stereotypes for what is requiring to occur frequently. Too overly extreme or strict rigid harsh to ever allow such vast mass scale excluding. Only in selective zones rather than the entire metro. At least for my own vision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning