U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:52 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,744,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
It should be cheap or FREE.
When it is too cheap no one leaves and then businesses do not get customers. There is a convo on Nextdoor about a private lot in one of our business districts. It is free with time limits, but the owners did not enforce the limits. They recently changed the rules so employees could no longer park there. Amazingly, after never finding parking there for years, it suddenly got loads easier. It is even better now that they are enforcing limits. They are thinking about charging now. I am in favor of it, if the money stays in the neighborhood. Anyway most participants are saying no to laying for parking because they don't want to pay to go to CVS, and they think it will hurt business. Meanwhile my Main Street less than two mikes away only has metered parking, including the cvs parking lot. That one has been open for decades with a paid lot. And there is another store with limitless free parking about 1 mile away. Apparently people voted with their feet: walking or feeding the meter. The funny thing is the demographics of the two commercial districts is really similar. The single family homes nearby start at $700k, condos start at $200k, I think people, can afford the parking meter.

Quote:
As for "too much parking", I believe I said somewhere, that "cars are for freeways"
and that people should Walk or ride a bicycle or take public transportation if under
5 miles.
I think the magic number is 2-3 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:31 AM

56,865 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Couldn't those developers of those sites seek remediation? This article is 9 years old, and I'm not sure how things are now, but it looks like a developer can recover clean up costs. Every jurisdiction will probably be different, and it could be an issue if the contaminator is no longer in business, or the site is so old that the ability to recover costs has passed.

Real Estate Developer Recovers 90% Clean-up Costs From Previous Owners | Insurable Interest, May 6, 2005 | Clark Wilson LLP
That's a good point and I believe many developers seek remediation. It may also be if the conpany isn't around, they may seek a tax break in order to completely take care of it or follow a trail of possible company mergers or whatever.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,810,702 times
Decent schools.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Decent schools.
Actually, some have that and many times, they are magnet or charter schools. I mentioned one earlier and another one that is on the edge of Downtown that I could think of is Buffalo's Hutchinson Central Technical High: Hutch-Tech High School

Hutchinson Central Technical High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-22-2014, 01:57 PM

87,064 posts, read 102,785,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, some have that and many times, they are magnet or charter schools. I mentioned one earlier and another one that is on the edge of Downtown that I could think of is Buffalo's Hutchinson Central Technical High: Hutch-Tech High School

Hutchinson Central Technical High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unfortunately, magnets and charters do not benefit the kids who don't get in via the lottery. (Magnets sometimes require some type of testing in.) Good schools should be available for everyone, not just those with special talents, e.g. Denver School for the Arts, or who luck in or have enough political connections with the schools to get in to a charter.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,100,107 times
I thought by definition magnets are by admission tests.

Edit: looks like they aren't. Huh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_school

Old 05-22-2014, 02:18 PM

87,064 posts, read 102,785,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought by definition magnets are by admission tests.

Edit: looks like they aren't. Huh.

Magnet school - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There's no standard definition. This school: D'Evelyn Junior/Senior High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is considered a magnet school (called "Option School" in the Jefferson County, CO school district). Its emphasis is high academics. This one: New Vista High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is in my district, where such schools are called "Focus" schools. It's never been clear to me what New Vista's focus is. It's sort of experiential. The difference between these schools and charter schools is that these are run by the school district, whereas charter schools are run by an outside entity. Here is a charter school in my district: Peak to Peak Charter School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's run by a separate board of directors. Peak to Peak Charter School - Board of Directors

Old 05-22-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Unfortunately, magnets and charters do not benefit the kids who don't get in via the lottery. (Magnets sometimes require some type of testing in.) Good schools should be available for everyone, not just those with special talents, e.g. Denver School for the Arts, or who luck in or have enough political connections with the schools to get in to a charter.
While there are issues with many of the schools in a city like Buffalo, it also has a range of magnet schools, with a range in terms of overall performance. Actually, its City Honors School is ranked as one of the best high schools in the country and NY State. City Honors School

Admissions Process > About CHS > City Honors School

City Honors School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, it may be a matter of options as well. That includes private schools.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:29 PM

12,320 posts, read 15,238,494 times
Many of the buyers of downtown condos are buyin them as second homes. If you visit downtown often, especially if beyond commuting distance, it is convenient.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:35 PM

974 posts, read 1,377,937 times
Boston's still on the stupid cupcake craze and hasn't shifted to pies. (We've got meat pies, pies made out of shepherds, pies that aren't even pies -Boston cream pies, chicken pot pies, but, seriously no cherry pies or coconut cream.) It's a crying shame as it's the only thing Boston is missing since it's nigh-perfect in every other city way.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or