U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:25 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It helps if the premise fits your biases.
I honestly have no real bias one way or another just that understanding the data that went into is the merits for interpretation

honestly if there is anyone with biases in this regard based on reading this thread a mirror might be suggested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:50 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, the article did not prove its hypothesis. It gave zero stats. And to say the National Trust for Historic Preservation has an agenda is an understatement.
Quote:
"National Trust President Stephanie Meeks said the group hopes developers and city planners will consider the data."

A little hard to build it that way. Just what is she proposing? It's hard to tell since there are NO hard stats in that article. We're just supposed to believe them.
Maybe the article was short on stats and scientific data because it is a newspaper article, not a dissertation in a scientific journal.

Fortunately, the author of the newspaper article linked to the study, along with all the data, that the article is based on: http://www.preservationnation.org/in...smallerbetter/

Old 05-16-2014, 10:53 AM

9,520 posts, read 14,823,688 times
In other news, a study by the Beef Industry Council finds steak tastes great and is good for you.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,079,459 times
"Neighborhoods and commercial areas with a mix of older, smaller buildings make for more vibrant, walkable communities with more businesses, nightlife and cultural outlets than massive newer buildings, according the National Trust for Historic Preservation's study."

Kind of a subjective personal anecdote here: compare South Beach vs. Brickell in Miami. While Brickell has definitely stolen a lot of limelight from South Beach recently, I find South Beach much more walkable, bikeable, and generally vibrant than Brickell. The recent trend in South Beach has been to renovate older buildings (I live in a fully updated 1920's art deco building), while Brickell is full of new mega-towers. The thing with Brickell is that those massive luxury-oriented buildings (almost) all come with large parking structures. They tend to cater to wealthy folk who have nice cars and prefer to drive them around. (Though you do get lots of students and young professionals with roommates who don't drive everywhere). When walking and ESPECIALLY biking around South Beach, I feel I am in good company and don't get many funny looks, whereas in Brickell I often feel that unless I'm commuting to/from work on public transportation or walking from the garage to the bar, I should rather be in one of those cars. Comparing Washington Avenue with the trickle of pedestrians on Brickell Avenue and Miami Avenue and virtual lack of cyclists and parked, locked-up bikes on a typical evening, it is easy to see I am not alone. OK, South Beach has many tourists, BUT quite a few of those massive buildings in Brickell are hotels too, and Brickell has the greater residential density. Also, not many of the tourists bring their bikes with them or rent bikes, they walk or take cabs...

Old 05-16-2014, 01:51 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,193,822 times
Another urban planning thread derailed by bickering.
It is actually possible to discuss ideas and concepts without statistics.

And IF you NEED statistics, try goggle.

As per the last post on Miami, it is actually possible to OBSERVE the idea being discussed, in the real world.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Can one trust ones own observations? I prefer seeing lots of numbers.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:02 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,193,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I can.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:10 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,074,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
"Neighborhoods and commercial areas with a mix of older, smaller buildings make for more vibrant, walkable communities with more businesses, nightlife and cultural outlets than massive newer buildings, according the National Trust for Historic Preservation's study."
* per square foot.

They kind of bury that in there so you have to really read the article.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:21 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I do too. I've been a maternal/child nurse long enough to know there's no such thing as "common sense". Common sense doesn't tell you much of anything. Common sense isn't very common.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:28 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Another urban planning thread derailed by bickering.
It is actually possible to discuss ideas and concepts without statistics.

And IF you NEED statistics, try goggle.

As per the last post on Miami, it is actually possible to OBSERVE the idea being discussed, in the real world.
Allow me to point out that the bickering at me continued well past my participation in it!

As for the post on Miami, the plural of anecdote isn't data. Do you recall the story of the blind men and the elephant?

John Godfrey Saxe: The Blind Men and the Elephant

We all "feel" in our own way. Someone has to put it all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or