U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:05 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,348,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have no state or local income tax, this is the property tax. Of that amount (assessed value $552k)
about 20% goes to the city, 31% to local schools, 22% to state schools fund. The rest are minor amounts to fire district, Port, Library. About 33% is voter approved levy money.
We must have a different definition for "high". As I understand your comment then $6,500 is the total property tax burden on a ~$550K house in your area. Not sure what "levy money" is but $6,500 is low not high compared to property taxes in other states on houses at that valuation. There are numerous places around the country where the marginal tax rate is above 2.5%. Take one example: Austin (TX) gets hyped a lot - although the layers of local government vary depending on where you are you would be looking at around $12K-$19K annually for a house in that value range within Travis County and the Austin "metro" area.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 05-20-2015 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 02:51 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
We must have a different definition for "high". As I understand your comment then $6,500 is the total property tax burden on a ~$550K house in your area. Not sure what "levy money" is but $6,500 is low not high compared to property taxes in other states on houses at that valuation. There are numerous places around the country where the marginal tax rate is above 2.5%. Take one example: Austin (TX) gets hyped a lot - although the layers of local government vary depending on where you are you would be looking at around $12K-$19K annually for a house in that value range within Travis County and the Austin "metro" area.
Seriously? I live in a house of that valuation and our property tax bill is <$3000! Of course, CO has state income tax, state sales tax, and local sales taxes.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Seriously? I live in a house of that valuation and our property tax bill is <$3000! Of course, CO has state income tax, state sales tax, and local sales taxes.
Hmm. I thought I remember a discussion from a long, long time ago you were trying to avoid even implying what your house value is. $3000 sounds low for a home that value to me

Last edited by nei; 05-20-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. I thought I remember a discussion from a long, long time ago were trying to avoid even implying what your house value is. $3000 sounds low for a home that value to me
I'm telling the truth both re: the house value, and the taxes.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:06 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,348,447 times
Quote:
Check out Travis central appraisal district:
Travis CAD - Property Search

Select "Property Address" for the "Search Type"

Type in one of these random street names (no number) to get a list of properties in the search results.
(I just picked names of streets in the area - pull up a map and pick streets of your own choice)

Georgian Oaks
Enfield
Bee Caves
Picadilly
Turner Ranch
Spring Wagon
Big Thicket

Pick one that has a valuation you are interested in and click "View Details".

When you pull up the property, click on "Taxing Jurisdiction" to see the taxes associated with each taxing jurisdiction and a total.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:11 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,819,994 times
Quote:
Never move to NJ. We have all of that and property taxes about 6 times what you have. Most places measure property tax in mills, we use percentages.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Never move to NJ. We have all of that and property taxes about 6 times what you have. Most places measure property tax in mills, we use percentages.
I have no plans to move there. Here's a little info about CO sales tax:
Colorado State Sales Tax Rates | TaxRates.com
The Colorado (CO) state sales tax rate is currently 2.9%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high as 10.4%.

Colorado is a “home rule” state. Local-level tax rates in the state of Colorado are quite complex compared against local-level tax rates in other states. Colorado sales tax can be levied at the city/county/school/transportation and SPD (special purpose district) levels.

My city (Louisville):
http://www.louisvilleco.gov/home/showdocument?id=2788
8.485% (Broken down by city, county, etc in link)

State Taxes: Colorado | Bankrate.com
State Income tax is 4.63% of your AGI

Old 05-21-2015, 05:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If you're looking for higher property taxes, Long Island might beat out New Jersey. Would vary more between neighborhoods than New Jersey vs Long Island. Looks like Louisville, CO has similar sales taxes to Long Island, somewhat lower income taxes (6.45% for most middle-income families) but much lower lower property taxes.

Up in Massachusetts, our income tax is a flat 5% but it was slightly pre-referendum. The tax form has a checkbox for those unhappy with the results of the referendum and wish to pay at the old rate. Doesn't get checked much.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:21 AM

88 posts, read 136,646 times
"Suburbia is cheaper to live in"

EXACTLY! That is why living in the suburbs will always beat out urban living!

Old 05-26-2015, 03:38 AM

88 posts, read 136,646 times
Ugh Metro looks ugly !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or