Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,058 times

Advertisements

Commuting kills me emotionally too. I opt for biking/ walking as often as circumstances allow. I arrive to destination much happier and feel overall much more alive & happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 10:57 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My old neighbor did a few times a week, at least in good weather. Actually more like 18 miles. Some sections were relatively rural, or at least light-free. He also owns five cars.
I do it quite often. 15 miles one way. Takes about an hour and feels so good. At one point during my bike commute, the trail goes OVER the freeway I would have been driving a car on, and seeing all those cars in gridlock traffic makes my soul float with joy that I am not stuck in my car and am free in the fresh air getting rejuvenating exercise.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:29 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I do it quite often. 15 miles one way. Takes about an hour and feels so good. At one point during my bike commute, the trail goes OVER the freeway I would have been driving a car on, and seeing all those cars in gridlock traffic makes my soul float with joy that I am not stuck in my car and am free in the fresh air getting rejuvenating exercise.
Guess you guys have "bike trails" that go to useful places. We have bike lanes and bike boulevards. So you are mixing with traffic: lights, stop signs and so on. 15mph would require a very aggressive riding style, and blowing through lights or stop signs.

I can't think of many bike trails in the Bay Area that go somewhere "useful." 11-12 mh is more typical for city cycling. It is hard to have a 2+ hour commute if you have other commitments during the work week.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Train commuting is great, if your route is blessed with train service. But bike commuting is possible almost anywhere if the distance does not exceed 15 miles (24 km).

Old 05-30-2014, 06:34 AM

93,202 posts, read 123,819,554 times
While I drive, I'm glad that I live in an area where you can get pretty much anywhere within 15-20 minutes. So, it may depend on where you live too.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:42 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
My father has a colleague who cycles a few miles through Rockland county to the Tappan Zee, a three mile wide section of the Hudson River, where he has a sea kayak, he kayaks across the river to a spot in Tarrytown where he has another bicycle stored, then pedals uphill several more miles to White Plains.

Now that is a commute. And while I admire it, it sounds masochistic.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My father has a colleague who cycles a few miles through Rockland county to the Tappan Zee, a three mile wide section of the Hudson River, where he has a sea kayak, he kayaks across the river to a spot in Tarrytown where he has another bicycle stored, then pedals uphill several more miles to White Plains.

How long does that take? The Hudson sounds rough to kayak on.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:48 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Sounds like a fun commute!

Old 05-31-2014, 07:13 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Fortunately, most of us commute by car, which means shorter commutes. Those poor obese, depressed, divorced people in NYC on the other hand...

New Yorkers have longest commute times in the U.S.: report - NY Daily News
Now Imagine how horrible commuting would be WITHOUT the Subway and commuter rail, that's probably at least 2 million more cars on the road daily, if not more. Now that would most certainly make commute times longer. Furthermore, why is this such a shock, considering that NYC is by far the largest urban area in the nation?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Without the subway, we wouldn't be able to pack so many people and employers into Manhattan. The Lexington Avenue line on the east side of Manhattan probably takes an extra day off your life every time you ride it, it's such a sardine can. (fortunately I work on the west side; I don't think I'd have taken my current job if it was on the east side)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning