U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 03:27 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,960,847 times

Advertisements

The only neighborhood in Philly with more men than women is the Gayborhood where men 50.5% of the population.

Most other neighborhoods are right where you'd expect them to be 51-53% (because women are around 52% of the population)

In Center City there are two census tracts that are +54% women - one is right next to a teaching hospital and the other is a neighborhood full of mid to high rise buildings with 1 bedroom apartments and within walking distance of UPenn. (Women students have outnumbered men on campus and in medicine for at least a decade)

Occasionally you'll see a neighborhood in West or North Philly that skews around 60% women - because that's how many men are dead or in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 03:53 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,960,847 times
A quick look along the gentrifying edge of Brooklyn (along the L train) you get to 49.8% male. Still higher than normal but not very dramatic.

Last edited by drive carephilly; 05-29-2014 at 04:03 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 11:50 AM

2,610 posts, read 3,768,711 times
Looking at Federal Electoral Districts 2011 data for Toronto.

Inner Core

Toronto Centre
67,740 males
62,580 females
This includes the gay neighbourhood, wealthy lowrise and SFH neighbourhoods , a big housing project and a couple smaller ones, the druggie/homeless shelter area, some older (20-50 year old) apartments and condos, and St James Town (lots of non-subsidized but still low income housing) and the high end fashion district.

Trinity Spadina
71,690 males
73,045 females
This includes most of yuppy new condo land, as well as older neighbourhoods with lots of hipsters, plus Chinatown and a smaller housing project.

Davenport
50,685 males
51,680 females
This is mostly working class lowrise area, but pretty safe, used to have lots of Italian and Portuguese immigrants, still has a decent number though their numbers are falling.

Toronto-Danforth
50,875 males
53,140 females
Ranges from lower middle to upper middle class currently, mostly older lowrise homes, but gentrifying rapidly, and getting some new condos.

Outer Core

Parkdale - High Park
50,600 males
54,505 females
There's a low income apartment area with some people with social problems (but also artsy types), though this is mostly gentrified middle to upper middle class lowrise area.

Beaches-East York
51,365 males
55,720 females
Middle to upper middle class lowrise neighbourhoods dominated, though there is a significant low income apartment cluster

St. Paul
53,145 males
63,320 females
Much of this is upper middle class to wealthy SFH neighbourhoods, with some yuppy apartment clusters (which are known for having more women than men)

Inner Suburbs/Streetcar suburbs (+TODs and apartment clusters)

Don Valley West
58,605 males
64,595 females
Upper middle class to wealthy SFH neighbourhoods, a few yuppy apartments and condos, and a big low income apartment area with lots of immigrants.

Eglinton-Lawrence
51,890 males
61,225 females
Upper middle class to wealthy SFH neighbourhoods, yuppy apartment clusters, so similar to St. Paul, except there's also a section that's working class inner suburban SFH and a mid-sized housing project.

York South-West
55,265 males
61,340 females
Mostly working class, if not poor, with mainly 50s-70s apartments and 20s-50s SFHs, so I guess inner suburban.

Etobicoke-Lakeshore
59,255 males
63,745 females
Streetcar suburbs and early auto-suburbs, mostly middle to upper middle class with some lower to middle class apartments and condos.

Willowdale
66,170 males
74,290 females
40s-50s SFHs mostly on a street grid, with a ton of TOD condos, generally yuppies and lots of immigrants, lower middle to upper middle class.

Inner Core
240,990 males (50.06%)
240,445 females (49.94%)

Outer Core
155,110 males (47.20%)
173,545 females (52.80%)

Inner suburbs/streetcar suburbs
291,185 males (47.24%)
325,195 females (52.76%)

Rest of the CMA
2,021,665 males (48.64%)
2,134,930 females (51.36%)

So despite this forum being male dominated, there are a lot of women living in Toronto's urban core. Maybe they avoid the worst areas, but there's not a lot of those anyways. Also, the areas where you'd be an urban pioneer (ie run down, possibly dangerous) are often poor, and single mothers are often over-represented in those areas, so you'd have to have detailed data (ie how women with no kids) which might be hard to get. It seems like if it's safe though, women are just as attracted to living in urban cores (like in Toronto).

Old 05-29-2014, 01:36 PM

87,051 posts, read 102,757,343 times
This is just for singles:

Looking for Love in All the Right Places | Trulia Trends

Denver County:
Denver County Demographics & Statistics
Total Population 597,466
Male Population 302,447
Female Population 295,018

80203, all central city:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
There are 10,601 men and 8,238 women.

80211, hipster 'hood on west side:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
There are 15,946 men and 15,637 women.

I don't know all the zip codes in Denver, but anyone who wishes can play around with this.

Last edited by Yac; 06-05-2014 at 07:12 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 07:29 PM

468 posts, read 519,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I ask because in almost every city I visit, it seems like women outnumber men by 2-1 in many "gentrifying" urban areas as far as being out in public alone (jogging, biking etc) or even in groups doing yoga in the park for example.

It could be a questionable area too and it's like they have no fear compared to their male companions.

Maybe the guys are just in their condos having a beer and just don't care to get out and exercise as much?

Or maybe it's just me noticing the attractive women and not seeing as many men?

It just seems like women are more likely to move into a city neighborhood and be outside in areas that many in the suburbs would consider dangerous more so than men and running with headphones seemingly oblivious to their surroundings for the most part.

Am I crazy?
I don't know about visible proof because I agree with you, nothing says those women don't have mates who don't like to do the same things they do, which mean they might only be spending 20% of their "neighborhood time" alone in reality.

My gut would say that women are less likely to be gentrifying pioneers than men, because I have heard at least a couple dozen NYC women over the years admit that their parents are paying part (or all!) of their rent in a neighborhood where I think "how can you afford that?", in order to keep the woman from being stuck going where she could afford on her PR, publishing, etc. salary. Whereas those parents might assume (or be told by) a son in a similar situation, that he can "take care of himself, and it's not really all that bad, so let him strike out on his own in that duplex in Sunset Park" (random example, not to be taken to offend Sunset Park denizens, or those laughing at the idea that they can afford duplexes). Anecdotally insofar as NYC real estate lore goes, a Corcoran broker once told me at a party that on balance, single men care more about having a "cool pad" than their surroundings, and will choose the better, larger, etc. apartment in a sketchier neighborhood to get that cool pad; whereas a woman would prefer a shoebox on the Upper East Side as a tradeoff for feeling comfortable coming home at 2 in the morning. However, it might have been as long as a decade since I had that conversation, so it's possible things have changed for NYC at least.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 PM

10,850 posts, read 19,464,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
You are just seeing more women out running and doing yoga in the park. I run and usually see about 4:1 women to men anywhere I go running. However, most places anyone would just stumble into and see women doing yoga in the park have been gentrified years ago. "Urban pioneer" these days means places like inner city Baltimore or Detroit.
Yea, I guess you are right.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:34 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,733,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
I don't know about visible proof because I agree with you, nothing says those women don't have mates who don't like to do the same things they do, which mean they might only be spending 20% of their "neighborhood time" alone in reality.

My gut would say that women are less likely to be gentrifying pioneers than men, because I have heard at least a couple dozen NYC women over the years admit that their parents are paying part (or all!) of their rent in a neighborhood where I think "how can you afford that?", in order to keep the woman from being stuck going where she could afford on her PR, publishing, etc. salary. Whereas those parents might assume (or be told by) a son in a similar situation, that he can "take care of himself, and it's not really all that bad, so let him strike out on his own in that duplex in Sunset Park" (random example, not to be taken to offend Sunset Park denizens, or those laughing at the idea that they can afford duplexes). Anecdotally insofar as NYC real estate lore goes, a Corcoran broker once told me at a party that on balance, single men care more about having a "cool pad" than their surroundings, and will choose the better, larger, etc. apartment in a sketchier neighborhood to get that cool pad; whereas a woman would prefer a shoebox on the Upper East Side as a tradeoff for feeling comfortable coming home at 2 in the morning. However, it might have been as long as a decade since I had that conversation, so it's possible things have changed for NYC at least.
Most women's parents will put the kibosh on living somewhere too sketchy.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,080,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
Whereas those parents might assume (or be told by) a son in a similar situation, that he can "take care of himself, and it's not really all that bad, so let him strike out on his own in that duplex in Sunset Park" (random example, not to be taken to offend Sunset Park denizens, or those laughing at the idea that they can afford duplexes).
I have a friend who lived in Sunset Park, chose it partly because it was a nice apartment for the price. Male, too. Though he found it because the neighbor downstairs was an old high school friend (who's girlfriend was also living with him, but maybe she doesn't count because she wasn't by herself) of his. Sketchy things he found in Sunset Park:

1) There was a crack house on his block. Only found out when the police arrived on the block. Something about a chase, too.
2) At night, marijuana dealers would hover around his local subway station. Perhaps a good business model.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:26 AM

468 posts, read 519,561 times
One of my old roommates moved to Sunset Park in the 90s; I guess she underrated how questionable it was, LOL, though I do recall she didn't last many years. I was thinking a little fringey and sketchy, but not as bad as all that. Before that she lived in Washington Heights albeit with a boyfriend, and she fluent in Spanish in the bargain. Though when the other roommate moved around the same time I think it was to Columbus and 108th though probably not for more than a year, and I remember us going to visit her and sidestepping a used condom on the street. I keep thinking for comparison I should go back now and see what, if anything, I sidestep.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:28 AM

27,171 posts, read 29,733,004 times
I am in my mid-30s, and my parents will always call or text if they hear about an issue in Oakland. Well usually just my mom, my dad has a pretty good sense of the city geography so he knows those incident are usually 5-7 miles away from home for me. Parents worry forever, so I think the urban pioneer women are pretty rare. We usually wait long enough until it is safe enough for us to walk home from the bus at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or