U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:52 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,129,528 times

Advertisements

I predict that DC transportation plan will add to the problems it intended to fix and create new problems in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,842,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I predict that DC transportation plan will add to the problems it intended to fix and create new problems in the process.
Sucker bet.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 AM

9,839 posts, read 11,442,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post

Adding millions of people while still being able to get around seems like a success to me. What would you suggest as a transit plan to move people around the D.C. region in 2030 with another million people living here?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:34 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,174,339 times
Expand VRE, improve its service, and electrify the 2 current lines. Weak commuter rail systems are the major flaw in DC.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 PM

3,093 posts, read 3,195,173 times
I don't think VRE owns the tracks. The run under a lease from the Rail Line (probably NS (Norfolk Southern) or CSX). That in itself would make it difficult to electrify. But Electrification is VERY expensive. I can't see a Commuter Rail operation doing it when Diesel is an option

Old 06-13-2014, 02:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
But Electrification is VERY expensive. I can't see a Commuter Rail operation doing it when Diesel is an option
All of Philadelphia's commuter rail and most of NYC's is electrified, though that is partly from going through tunnels. Electrification makes sense with enough volume, and supports quick acceleration and deceleration.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:03 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,469,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Washington D.C. has proposed to create congestion pricing for downtown DC in the future. D.C. would be the first city to create congestion pricing in the U.S. London has a similar model. Some cities charge tolls for tunnels and bridges, but this would be the first actual congestion pricing model in the U.S. Thoughts? Feelings about the concept?

Plan Calls for Congestion Pricing, More Bike Lanes, and Expanded Transit for D.C. - Housing Complex

Manhattan called for this about 10 years ago and it didn't end up happening. I think it is a good thing IF AND ONLY IF the public transit system is simultaneously beefed up to accommodate increased commuters (unless the existing public transit system is underutilized, which for NYC and Washington DC it is not.)

Old 06-15-2014, 08:41 AM

556 posts, read 762,258 times
Quote:
I don't think VRE owns the tracks. The run under a lease from the Rail Line (probably NS (Norfolk Southern) or CSX). That in itself would make it difficult to electrify. But Electrification is VERY expensive. I can't see a Commuter Rail operation doing it when Diesel is an option
MARC is electrified, but it on Amtrak owned tracks. VRE could electrify as part of a larger expansion of Amtrak owned tracks for the NE regional between DC and Newport News. That would improve VRE commuter services and improve regional service through VA. I take Amtrak from Baltimore to Williamsburg on a fairly regular basis - it's a very popular route, but plagued with delays due to freight right of way.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 PM

3,093 posts, read 3,195,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
MARC is electrified, but it on Amtrak owned tracks. VRE could electrify as part of a larger expansion of Amtrak owned tracks for the NE regional between DC and Newport News. That would improve VRE commuter services and improve regional service through VA. I take Amtrak from Baltimore to Williamsburg on a fairly regular basis - it's a very popular route, but plagued with delays due to freight right of way.
Some of MARC is electrified. Yes the route on the Amtrak line from Perryville down to DC. The Camden and Brunswick lines (on CSX) are not. The VRE line that goes to Manassas is on NS track I believe.

I don't see any expansion of electrified track in the forseeable future out of DC

Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,440,244 times
Quote:
Some of MARC is electrified. Yes the route on the Amtrak line from Perryville down to DC. The Camden and Brunswick lines (on CSX) are not. The VRE line that goes to Manassas is on NS track I believe.

I don't see any expansion of electrified track in the forseeable future out of DC
I think electrification should be a long term goal, but I don't think it is necessary right now. Chicago's Metra trains are diesel I believe but they have around the clock commuter rail service.

The tracks are privately owned though, but I don't know why officials couldn't do a public-private partnership deals with CSX and NS and improve rail capacity so we could have expanded rail service while not impacting freight rail service. I mean they are doing it now with road projects like the HOT lanes, so why not for rail especially since the infrastructure is pretty much already there. I would be willing to pay a little more in taxes to avoid having to drive to the city on the weekends.

I think they should do this instead of charging a congestion pricing. DC isn't London. London has excellent rail service while DC is severely lacking and not giving people options. Even the Metro lots fill to capacity at rush hour, so people have no choice a lot of times but to drive into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning