Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:18 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Thought this was interesting. There's apparently not much of a rail bias in Nantes.

Users' preferences for BRT versus LRT in Nantes | Europe and R.O.W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 09:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Thought this was interesting. There's apparently not much of a rail bias in Nantes.

Users' preferences for BRT versus LRT in Nantes | Europe and R.O.W
I think rail bias is a mostly US exclusive. We stigmatize the bus at every turn and every level. Since the bus is for poor people, no one wants to be associated.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
This British poster thinks there's a bus stigma in England:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think buses tend to have stigma regardless of them being segregated or not.
Is taking public transit associated with poverty in your country or a service used by everyone from all walks of life?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:34 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
The article says that the Nantes BRT line beats tramway on comfort and security. I think security would greatly depend on which neighborhood is served.

IMO comfort is pretty much the same in segregated buses and streetcars. Both are vastly superior to this system:
Translohr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Took a picture of one under construction:

The one I've ridden (T5 in the northern suburbs of Paris) was brand new and, really, the ride quality is astoundingly low, especially above 20 pmh. Bombardier also makes rubber-tyred trams, though the system is slightly different. I've never ridden them. Sounds like comfort issues are similar to the Translohr ones.
Bombardier Guided Light Transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-06-2014, 12:28 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
IMO comfort is pretty much the same in segregated buses and streetcars.
What do you mean by "comfort?" Are you talking more about things like air conditioning and cushioned seats or the quality of the ride?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:54 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
The quality of the ride. Other factors don't depend on the transport mode.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:41 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
One thing to keep in mind is that BRT is not the same as a bus. It's a more expensive bus, on its own dedicated lane, dolled up to resemble a streetcar as much as possible. This means that proper BRT costs nearly as much as an LRV line.

For all practical purposes, actual BRT has more in common with light rail than a standard (non-BRT) bus. Which may be why people like it more...

Old 06-07-2014, 02:12 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
I find it very odd how BRT is supposed to always have its own lane (according to some Internet posters) where light rail often does not. Nantes Busway, for example, runs in mixed traffic. So I guess from that standpoint, people actually prefer regular buses as having higher quality because Nantes is fake BRT, again, according to Internet posters.

Anyone with transit chops (which isn't me) seems to consider the fake BRT Nantes Busway to be actual BRT. I agree with them and disagree with the Internet posters who consider it a regular bus.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I find it very odd how BRT is supposed to always have its own lane (according to some Internet posters) where light rail often does not.
Because light rail is just a type of train (physical size of trains) while BRT is a specific of bus. At least that's my understanding.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
The one I've ridden (T5 in the northern suburbs of Paris) was brand new and, really, the ride quality is astoundingly low, especially above 20 pmh. Bombardier also makes rubber-tyred trams, though the system is slightly different. I've never ridden them. Sounds like comfort issues are similar to the Translohr ones.
Bombardier Guided Light Transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Is this not a segregated streetcar? What makes the ride quality so low? Bumpy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning