U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,998,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
On RailEurope's website, I'm currently looking at 4 options for Florence to Paris, and all are under 16 hours. All have one transfer in Milan. (that's new, as it was a straight shot, when I made the trip) The overnight route I'm talking about is one of the longer ones, at 12h 30m. (There is a cheaper 10h 22m option, but it's during the afternoon/evening) Leave Florence at 9pm, and arrive in Paris at 9:30 am. I don't know what "best" vs. "flexible" means with regard to first and second class, but "best second class" is $220, "best first class" is $293, and "flexible first class" is a pricey $469.

I don't mean to dwell on this, but I think this is a good example of how overnight trains can work, and be competitive with the cost of flying & additional night in a hotel.
Digging further, I found something similar. If you only allow yourself a half hour for transfering between trains, quickest is 9h 22m. Cheapest price I found is around $120. Not a sleeper flight. High speed rail to Milan, then TGV that travels some slower speed sections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,909,502 times
This is why:
under the raedar: Exactly how big is the United Kingdom?

An overnight from London to Edinburg is like going from Springfield, Missouri to Kansas City, Missouri.

Europe is a lot, lot smaller geographically than the US.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:17 AM

9,344 posts, read 4,289,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I hear the Californian Zephyr is still a wonderful train ride to take. However, it mainly caters to tourists, not for the common person wanting to go to California in a fast and efficient manner. I was thinking of daily overnight sleeper trains for shorter distances, which can be covered in 1 night.

By taking an overnight train ride, you save yourself the stress of long drives, finding a clean motel to stay overnight, and finding places to eat nearby. All of that is taken care of by the train crew.

Among airlines, the only ones treating you like people are southwest. The rest treat you like prisoners for what you pay .
I agree with your overall theme, and this quoted post, EXCEPT you saying Southwest is the only airline that treats customers well.
Domestically, Continental (now merged with United) was by far the best in customer service, and providing extras like meals, pillows, comfortable seats/leg room, etc. Hopefully the merger will help United more than hurt what was Continental.
International companies like Lufthansa, Virgin, Aer Lingus are very good as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,174,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
International companies like Lufthansa, Virgin, Aer Lingus are very good as well.
Singapore and Emirates get my vote on the international sector. Going on an A380 from JFK to Dubai was a great experience, even though I booked economy class . Continental (domestic sector) has gone down my friend . My dad uses it regularly and says its now very bad.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 06-13-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM

6,592 posts, read 3,674,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post

It's too bad we Americans are so squeamish about being around people we don't know.
Excellent point. There are other people on the train - actual strangers - who offer interesting conversation and are enjoyable dinner companions in the dining car if you open up to the possibility of meeting someone new. Surprise!! I've met the most interesting people while travelling long distance on Amtrak. Dining car meals are included in the cost of a sleeper, BTW, and the food is good.

No one on a plane is fit company by the time they struggle through security and race to their seat so they can stuff in their earphones. And oh, those peanuts are so tasty.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:10 PM

32,094 posts, read 33,002,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Excellent point. There are other people on the train - actual strangers - who offer interesting conversation and are enjoyable dinner companions in the dining car if you open up to the possibility of meeting someone new. Surprise!! I've met the most interesting people while travelling long distance on Amtrak. Dining car meals are included in the cost of a sleeper, BTW, and the food is good.

No one on a plane is fit company by the time they struggle through security and race to their seat so they can stuff in their earphones. And oh, those peanuts are so tasty.
Last summer my father and I took Amtrak in California and had meal in the dining-car. We had a lovely conversation with the 2 women that shared our table. When I was a child, my family lived in Europe and we took sleeper car trains and it was a fun experience for my siblings and myself.

I think that Amtrak would do better if it had high speed rail services. I have taken high speed trains in China and it was a great experience.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:07 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,267,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
This is why:
under the raedar: Exactly how big is the United Kingdom?

An overnight from London to Edinburg is like going from Springfield, Missouri to Kansas City, Missouri.

Europe is a lot, lot smaller geographically than the US.
I don't think Europe is smaller than the US. It only seems that way because in the US everything is so spread out while European cities are more dense, compact and closer together making train trips shorter and more feasible for everyday use, but physically US and Europe land mass is comparable in size. They don't have a lot of sprawl in Europe compared to the US. And passenger train service works better and more efficiently in dense population environments. It is not not well-suited for a lot of suburban sprawl which lacks the population density to support it.

Continental US:
9,631,418 km˛
3,718,711 sq mi

Europe:
10,390,000 km˛
4,010,000 sq mi

Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I don't think Europe is smaller than the US. It only seems that way because in the US everything is so spread out while European cities are more dense, compact and closer together making train trips shorter and more feasible for everyday use, but physically US and Europe land mass is comparable in size. They don't have a lot of sprawl in Europe compared to the US. And passenger train service works better and more efficiently in dense population environments. It is not not well-suited for a lot of suburban sprawl which lacks the population density to support it.

Continental US:
9,631,418 km˛
3,718,711 sq mi

Europe:
10,390,000 km˛
4,010,000 sq mi
True, but most people when talking about Europe talk about western Europe which is quite compact compared to the US and Canada. Not many actually mean the whole of Europe.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,998,698 times
The Northeast US (except maybe exculding uninhabited northern Maine) has about the same area and population as France.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:44 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,267,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
True, but most people when talking about Europe talk about western Europe which is quite compact compared to the US and Canada. Not many actually mean the whole of Europe.

How do you know that? Are you a mind reader?
But if someone means to say western Europe, then simply say western Europe. I can't read their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or