Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

it seems a like lot of the future assume more suburban nodes equals more walkable in the future, at least on first assumption
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 01:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Walkable because it's too expensive to own a car! I doubt this ranking.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:38 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They didn't do the study, they're just summarizing the results.
'...according to a study co-authored by The George Washington University School of Business'

You might be confusing them with the Washington Business Journal, where it was published.
The actual study was done by the business school.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:45 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
I LOVE THAT! All cities should be like that!

Old 06-18-2014, 01:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^Spare me!

Old 06-18-2014, 02:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
'...according to a study co-authored by The George Washington University School of Business'

You might be confusing them with the Washington Business Journal, where it was published.
The actual study was done by the business school.
Whoops. I mixed up.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:29 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,102,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
it seems a like lot of the future assume more suburban nodes equals more walkable in the future, at least on first assumption
Yep, actually it's even worse than that.

Distribution of office and retail space by ...I want to say metro area, but they seem inconsistent in terms of how they define regions

Chicago:
61% unwalkable
27.3% central city walkUPs
1.7% suburban walkUPs

Phoenix:
94.9% unwalkable
3.5% central city walkUPs
1.6% suburban walkUPs

However, all they look at is the ratio of office+retail in suburban vs central city walkUPs, so Phoenix does better in that category. It's not even that Phoenix is being rewarded for having more suburban walkUPs, because it doesn't (1.6% vs 1.7%). They're basically saying that having an unwalkable central city is a good thing for walkability (WTF?)...

Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Their methodology is odd, I'm not sure what to do think of it. A lot of it just reflects how much retail and office space is concentrated in suburban subcenters.
Basically their present (not future) rankings are just based on % of retail/office in walkUPs. But walkUPs have to be big (>340k sf retail or 1.4million sf office) so I think a fair bit of small neighbourhood scale office/retail won't count. As for whether those nodes are walkable or not, part of it is walkscore (has to be >70), but for the retail nodes, pretty much anything with that much retail will have >70 walkscore. Virtually all the big malls in the GTA rank over 70 walkscore, as well as many power centres and strip mall areas, because after all, walkscore is mostly just based on having a concentration of retail. They've also taking into account whether it "looks" walkable. It's be curious to see the full list of places they said qualified. Their limited list of examples Perimeter Centre, Tysons Corners and Easton Town Centre in Columbus as walkable examples. While I could imagine worse than those 3 places, considering how much retail/office they contain, they're not that great, and certainly not the same as established downtowns.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
^^^ also it seem it takes no account into those that actually live in these areas.

DC does have a lot of walkable development and a lot of mixed use but some of this weighting doesn't make sense to me

Old 06-19-2014, 07:19 PM

I agree, they should also consider how many people live in these walkUPs.

This lists all the walkUPs
http://business.gwu.edu/creua/includes/foottraffic.pdf

For the present ranking, where Philadelphia ranked 13th, it only includes five suburban town centres, and parts of the city proper, i.e.. not very much compared to other cities like Atlanta and D.C. The is evidenced by the fact that Philadelphia's walkUPs all have very high walkscores, mostly above 90, with the lowest at 83. D.C. and Atlanta included a lot with walkscores in the 70s and 80s. So based off this, Atlanta should rank lower, Philadelphia should rank higher, New York should rank ahead of D.C. and Houston and KC should rank lower too.

You can actually see a few places listed as walkUPs even though they failed the report's criteria of 70 walkscore at the most walkable intersection.

-South Waterfront in Portland
-National Harbour, Baileys Crossroads and most of Tysons Corners in suburban D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning